Different compound upper body exercises

Options
I only have a home gym: weights, barbells, dumbells and chinup bar

I was doing dips, but I only had a wooden box to do this from which I placed behind me. I din't have two chairs or two parellel surfaces to use. I have recently realised this has been more of a tricep exercise than a pec exercise that I was hoping it would be.

I was also doing weighted chinups with a chinup bar on the doorway. But the doorway is showing signs of stress and I no longer want to use that (or any other door).

So I am looking for some upper body compound exercises to replace them

I currently do push-ups, rows, bench press and flys, clean with overhead press

I'm thinking of a pullover combined with a situp and overhead press (I like combining some ab exercise) - bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGJf3PEdZO4

I want a bicep exercise to replace the chinup, but can only really find a curl, which seems an isolated exercise

Thanks for your help

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The most powerful compound lift is the deadlift.

Also, you mentioned you do rows as a part of your workout. I'm hoping you are doing T-bar rows as they are an excellent.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    You can try some variations on pushups. I do pushups with my feet on a box. There are jack knife pushups. A grueling exercise involves combining pushups with lat rows. Have your hands on dumbbells. Down and up then do a row with one arm. Down and up and then row with the other arm. That's one rep. I can manage about one set of 5 with 10 pound dumbbells.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Pull up with palms facing you will work biceps a bit more.

Try doing those with your legs straight in front of you. ie.. seated position
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't ditch the pullups.

Instead of weighting start learning to do a front lever and various front lever exercises:
    http://www.beastskills.com/front-lever/

By using your lats to hold increasing amounts of your body horizontal, you greatly magnify the load on your muscles without adding additional load to the door frame.

The most basic rep based variant is row while holding the tuck lever.

Learn to do one arm pushups, handstand pushups, and move on to learning the static planche and planche pushups, which will load your pressing chain well beyond a one arm pushup (one arm pushups should be easy before you are even strong enough to hold the most basic planche variant). The planche uses the same concept as the front lever, using your chest and shoulder muscles to hold increasing amounts of your body horizontal, greatly maginfying the load (it goes so high that for the most part a tall person can never get strong enough to hold a full straight planche, fat people have zero chance no matter how strong they are).

Working a back lever on the pullup bar or planche variations including basic leans will work your biceps isometrically; a different way then curls, instead of using the bicep to close the elbow joint, you are using it to prevent elbow hyperextension, another function that the bicep has. When you see the big biceps gymnasts have, they didn't get them by doing curls or weighted chins, they got them by doing straight arm exercises, using the biceps to prevent elbow hyperextension when high torque is applied to the elbow.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Consider the overhead press (military press).
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    I'm upto about 64kg/140lbs in weighted pushup with plates in a bag and I am worried its not good for my back

One arm push ups seem a reasonable progression, but again, with poor form it could cause problems

I cartainly don't want to ditch the pushup
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    2 Plank variants:

Plank to push up and back.... Start in plank position, then put down right hand staying in plank, then put down left hand and raise all the way up to pushup position, then lower to right forearm, then lower to left forearm. Repeat opposite direction, left hand down first, then right, push up, lower left, then lower right. You can also add doing a leg lift in the push up position, one side, then the other, before you go back down to forearms.

Side plank, and when get steady at that, use dumbbell... raise it straight in line with body and high over you in the air with a straight arm, then curl it down and under your raised side as you curl tuck forward and under while staying up in side plank. Repeat several times. Switch sides. Repeat several times. Collapse. <g>
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You could try a hand stand shoulder press
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    One arm press ups KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    What type of rows?

You can do overhand bent over rows more like a dead lift which hits lower back or you can do underhand grip in a lower squat position to the naval which will hit upper back and traps.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bear Complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOd_VaYDFSw

Deadlift, clean, Over head press, back squat, overhead press,
  • eglinjoe
    eglinjoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw some videos on Youtube on the superman push-up, and they mentioned how only 1% of the population can do it as it's very difficult, and really works the core. No Pain No Gain