Anyone else doing the Indy 500 Mini this year?

Options
This will be my first year running it. I'm doing the 10K training run tomorrow. Already feeling nervous about the race. What training schedule do you use? Any tips for a first time half-marathoner? :)

Replies

• hjay07
    hjay07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is probably common sense, but obviously I didn't think of it...wear something you've broken in a bit. I bought a new comfy Under Armour shirt when I ran the mini a couple years ago and by the end of the race I had a nice red welt under my right arm from where it was rubbing against the seam on my sleeve the entire time. You don't want to add any discomfort, ya know?

Other than that, the mini was a blast! So many people and so many things to see, it's a great race!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I could definitely see myself doing this in another year or two... not quite ready for it now though.. it looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.500festival.com/
  • murryhill5099
    Options
    This will be my 4th or 5th mini and my second time running it. It's a great race! Some of the bands along the course are hilarious!

I agree hjay07 and do not wear new clothes or shoes! Also dress for about 10-15° warmer than the temp that day. You'll warm up quickly. A lot of people wear old shirts to ward off the chill in the morning and dump them along the race course. I was planning on doing this a couple of years ago and it never warmed up and I wore my ratty t-shirt the entire race!

I've been doing the Indy Runners training series at Butler on Tuesday nights. It's nice because you run with a pacer.

Good luck at the 10K today and good luck in the Mini!!! Are you doing the 15k in a few weeks?
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Are there any phone apps like C2 5K to get you ready for this? I just finished 5K 2 10K and am looking for the next app. I think I could be ready to run the mini in 2 months with the right training.
  • arpcoleman
    Options
    This will be my 4th or 5th mini and my second time running it. It's a great race! Some of the bands along the course are hilarious!

I agree hjay07 and do not wear new clothes or shoes! Also dress for about 10-15° warmer than the temp that day. You'll warm up quickly. A lot of people wear old shirts to ward off the chill in the morning and dump them along the race course. I was planning on doing this a couple of years ago and it never warmed up and I wore my ratty t-shirt the entire race!

I've been doing the Indy Runners training series at Butler on Tuesday nights. It's nice because you run with a pacer.

Good luck at the 10K today and good luck in the Mini!!! Are you doing the 15k in a few weeks?

Great advice about the clothing! I will make sure I have something comfy. :) The 10K went well this morning. I finished in just under 70 minutes and yes, I'll be doing the 15 in April, assuming everything goes well.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    This will be the 2nd time for me to participate. It will be my 4th Half Marathon.
    Definately make sure you do wear BROKEN in shoes & clothing.
    Make sure to drink, drink, drink your H20 now and leading up to the event.
    For myself, I do long miles on the weekend.
    Do some cross training as well as getting your miles in during the week.
    Last but not least...HAVE FUN!!!! :)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This will be my second year running it and the 8th overall I think (lots of walking years). I'm another one doing the Indy Runner's group this year. I've also used a Hal Higdon plan in the past. Another thing I found this year (but it's not the same as my curernt running plan) is that some of the running apps like Runkeeper also have training plans on them for all levels. I did use this for a while leading up to starting the plan. I have to admit, on interval runs, it was great to have the app tell me when it was time to be slow/fast versus having to keep track of it myself.

One great suggestion I got as I started running was to not be so focused on hitting a time goal that you cannot enjoy the race!
  • murryhill5099
    Options
    I've been using MapMyRun but may try Runkeeper if it has an interval plans! I hate having to keep looking at my watch to see if it's time to speed up or slow down. Pverbarg, what pace group are you in?

Philllbis, there seems to be about a million half-marathon apps out there. I would just pick one and go for it. If you're running a 10k now, you should be fine as long as you're adding some distance every week. Good luck!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 12 minute pace group - still on the super slow side!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've been using MapMyRun but may try Runkeeper if it has an interval plans! I hate having to keep looking at my watch to see if it's time to speed up or slow down. Pverbarg, what pace group are you in?

Philllbis, there seems to be about a million half-marathon apps out there. I would just pick one and go for it. If you're running a 10k now, you should be fine as long as you're adding some distance every week. Good luck!

Thanks, I just signed up for the Mini! I'm going to trry a few apps and go for it.
  • murryhill5099
    Options
    I'm in the 12 minute pace group too! Not looking forward to the 8 mile run on Tuesday!

Philllbis - good luck with the mini!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This will be my second time doing the mini! Stoked.
  • bigdaveud1
    bigdaveud1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Mini and my 2nd half (I did the Monumental in November). I can't wait, I feel so much more prepared than I did for my first half. Goal is 9:00-9:30 pace!
  • tams5899
    tams5899 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wow! y'all are great! i'm a new runner and will be doing the mini... i'm in the 11:30-12 per mi pace and at 54, i'm okay with that. maybe over the course of the next year i'll work some more on speed over the longer distances but today i'm looking forward to participating and not getting nervous over my speed. last year in my first ever 5k i finished in the top 25 in my age group!