US Applesauce - UK Option?

Options
cattrill
cattrill Posts: 74 Member
Been browsing through the recipes board on here but a lot of the dessert recipes all used applesauce from america, does anyone know if we can a) get it over here or b) a healthy nicer alternative, I've never had applesauce but it doesnt sound the most appealing thing in the world!

Replies

• Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi, you might be able to buy it from a kosher store?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Would baby food apple puree do? Or just plain old apple what name as is served with roast pork?
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Peel and core a couple of eating apples, chop them into bits and put them on a medium heat, mash em up a bit, instant apple sauce xxx
    if you want to make it properly you use cooking apples, sugar and lemon juice xx you can buy it ready made in supermarket, usually near the pickle and mayonnaise and stuff :flowerforyou:
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can buy apple sauce here! I bought some from Sainsburys for about 80p as it's used to substitute for eggs in a lot of vegan/healthy baking.

It was in the 'condiments' area (pickle, mint sauce etc) if that helps!
  • farway
    Options
    Yep, you can buy apple sauce here! I bought some from Sainsburys for about 80p as it's used to substitute for eggs in a lot of vegan/healthy baking.

Thanks I wondered what it was used for
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

I understand the Vegan bit but healthy? Nothing bad about eggs at all!
  • farway
    Options

I understand the Vegan bit but healthy? Nothing bad about eggs at all!

My thought entirely, i think Americans may be eggcentric [sorry could not resist it] as I notice many seem to make egg white only as their options for cooking, even omelettes.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No, I know, it just seems to come up as a substitute in a lot of recipes.
    Works for me because I don't tend to keep eggs in that often whereas apple sauce can stay in the fridge for ages.

Although I guess if it means I can make cakes more easily then it might be a bad thing :P
  • farway
    Options
    Works for me because I don't tend to keep eggs in that often whereas apple sauce can stay in the fridge for ages.

Although I guess if it means I can make cakes more easily then it might be a bad thing :P

The Devil has just whispered in my ear there are egg [and apple sauce] free cake recipes :devil:
  • allana3uk
    allana3uk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just make my own applesauce. The Coleman's stuff in jars has added sugar, and most US recipes (well, of the clean-eating or primal/'paleo variety) call for unsweetened.

I just chunk up a bag of apples (skin and seeds left on, as I'm lazy). add a splash of water and a cinnamon stick or a few cloves, and cook, covered, over a low-heat until the apples collapse. Pass through a sieve and discard the peel/seeds. Freezes really well, so it's worth doing a decent sized batch and portioning it out for further baking.
  • Pwrpuff83
    Pwrpuff83 Posts: 92
    Options
    Ebay? Maybe an online specialty food shop that stocks American products...? American Sweets or Cybercandy come to mind, but I can't say whether they'd have applesauce.
  • Pwrpuff83
    Pwrpuff83 Posts: 92
    Options

That applesauce is MUCH sweeter, imo, than the American equivalent. I'd second whoever said to just make your own through cooking some chopped up apple. That's more like the real deal to me.

PS I'm an American living in the UK, just to give myself some authority on the matter!

*Sorry...responded to wrong quote!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in the UK--I make my own applesauce if I need it for something. I've not found any sort of good substitute or source of applesauce here. My husband says Lidl might carry applesauce, or any other store with lots of German foods, so you might have a look there. But it's so easy to make your own. I just peel, chop, and boil apples a bit, then put them into my food processor and puree them. You could do that with a blender, hand blender, or even a potato masher (the apples get really soft). I add a little cinnamon. You could skip the cinnamon if you wanted to. You could also add sugar if you prefer something sweeter.