What is your favorite work out?

Options
MplsMom2000
MplsMom2000 Posts: 1 Member
I don't like doing the same thing at the gym where I work out (YWCA). I've tried a few classes such as the spin class, yoga and the body pump class. It has been nice this last month because I have gotten my older teenage daughter (14) to start working out with me. We are signed up to do a 7K run on 3/16 and we are training in hopes of being able jog/run the whole thing. Unfortunately this week the whole house seems to be coming down with a cold/sore throat so we missed our run this evening.

How do you keep your workouts fun?
Ellie

Replies

• revbrie
    revbrie Posts: 2
    Options
    I started running almost a year ago and over the summer it was my go to workout. Once the weather got cold I moved the workout inside and got bored running on treadmill real fast. Now I try and do one day on the treadmill, one day on the stationary bike and then I take a Zumba class or some other class depending on the day I can get there.
  • colindae
    colindae Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That sounds so great, Ellie. I cant wait till me kids can come on runs or even bike rides with me. Mine are 2 and 1. right now my favourite workout is the 30 min run I get on my lunch break. I have also recently joined the daily minichallenges group which kicks my but into gear in the evening "after the kids have gone to bed" and then I just do some routines I find online. I hear a lot of good things about 30 day shred and would really like to try that video. Has anyone else tried and liked it?
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've been using videos at home. My 2yr old does them with me. He has his own 1lb weights and everything. I really want to start running. But the snow in WI is cramping my style. So ready for spring!! My hubby, 11yr daughter and I will be doing the Color Run in Milwaukee in August. She's super excited about that.

I'm completed the 30DS took me forever to finish it. But I lost a few inches should have taken before measurements and photos but didn't.
  • Browneyedbeff
    Browneyedbeff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My favorite workout at the gym : legs and back
    My favorite workout at home: P90X shoulders and arms
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am in a very small town so we don't have access to a gym. we do have a couple of ladies who do zumba and body pump at the community center but I never get to go. I am busy with church on one of the nights and the other night I just need to be with my kids. I love to do videos at home. I have all of the Jillian Michaels, my favorite is no more trouble zones, and ripped in 30. I also love personal training with Jackie 30 day fast start! IT's a great weights workout. I love to go to our library and check out new videos if I am getting bored. I started the c25k program last year, and I am finally happy to say that I am a runner! no easy feat for this mommy who got a doctors note to not take P.E. and used to hate going for walks!!! So, last summer I ran a ton, and the transition onto the treadmill was a hard one in the fall, but I would just save movies that my husband didn't want to watch and only allow myself to watch them while I was on the treadmill. same with tv shows, and that makes it much easier for me. Also I have moved on to c210k and I am on week 10 right now, but sometimes I go back to week one and do the running at 6.5 and 7 and the "walking" interval at 5.5, to work on my speed and pace.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite is using my baby as weight resistance and dancing with him. One workout each week is dedicated to lifting him and dancing with him for at least a half an hour :) It's the most fun!
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My favority workout is running, but every time am getting good at it something happens that i have to stop for a while, then start all over.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Running was my favorite before the kid but now it's just too much. I even bought a BOB but she is very distracting while trying to run and I'm always having to stop to wipe her nose or she dropeed something and the reason I love to run was the free thinking.

Once it's nice out again I go home and make dinner first and pack her a to go plate then I get the stroller and pick her up from preschool and jog to a playground a couple miles away so we can eat dinner there and then she can play and I run back home. Not the most ideal but we both get something out of it.

So now my favorite is my Eliptical and i can zone out and read my kindle while she is sleeping.
  • eapmom
    eapmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like walking, I have the treadmill though I prefer being outside when the weather is warmer than it is now.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My favorite cardio: jogging. Some days i go 2 miles, some days 6 miles. Depends on my day!
    My favorite at home cardio: dancing with the kids to loud music. They LOVE dance music (dubs, house, DJ style stuff) but i'm willing to change it up as they request. That is super fun and the kids love it!
    My favorite gym work out: Ab crunching, shoulders and arms work outs on the weight machines plus ill speed walk on the treadmill then take a little jog as well. If i am not in mood for the treadmill jog and the weather is cool outside,i go take a jog outside by the gym bc it has a huge mileage marked paved trail that is actively used by hundreds of people each day.

I try to change things out especially on days i'm super busy. Jillian michaels has a short at home work out too that is pretty cool. You should check some of her 'at home' exercise routines when you can. They are quick and effective!

Sometimes i'll just come home after work and do serious lunges, squats, planks and burpees and call it a day! total work out in 20 min!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Jillian Michaels dvds, I am pretty sure I have them all... :) I also take my kiddo out in the jogging stroller when it gets warmer. I dabble in a little bit of everything really like Pole Fitness, Zumba, C25K, and I'm getting into heavy weight lifting. The Pole Fitness is just fun to do and made me feel sexy again after having the kiddo which I really needed cause I was kinda in a funk from not losing all the baby weight with having the baby Lol!!!
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do workout videos, walk my dogs, and once in a while I do comunication hills. It a place near my house that has a stairs case from the bottom to the top of the hill....there are alot of trails to and from the stair case. I usually walk up the staricase and come down a trail.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I love to wake up before everyone else in the house and workout for at least 90 minutes. It is the one time of day where I can focus on me! I love to go to the gym usually, but if the weather is bad I use my laptop and find workouts on You Tube-- in the basement so I don't bother anyone.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to videos at home I love P90X although I have to complete a full 90 days found out I was pregnant the first time through and had to stop and haven't started it back up again. I have done JM 30 day shred it is a fast workout but I didn't lose much and it was really rough on my knees you definitely cannot do it everyday. I like some of the biggest loser videos because you can customize them. My 9 year old really likes to join on the workouts when I do Yoga X he is better at it than I am. :laugh:
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a "10 Minute Solution" DVD I do when really short on time/motivation. 30DS is good even though I find Jillian annoying. A bit burnt out on it right now (that and my 5 y/o has been getting up when I get up at 5:30am - and once one of the kids is up... I'm not working out before work).

I really liked running last year while at work for lunch breaks - but my lunch-time running partner left the company (no one else runs) and now with 8" of snow currently on the ground (I'm a Fair-Weather Runner) - I fell off the wagon since New Years. But new resolve in the past week to get moving again.
  • HeyImRin
    HeyImRin Posts: 13
    Options
    I hate running. :/

I prefer finding a workout that doesn't feel like a workout. Dancing around the house like an idiot with my kiddo is really fun, and I break a sweat.

And here's a secret: Working out in the shower is a good way to kill two birds with one stone. Do some squats lol.
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love PowerCut.... It's an all weight lifting class. I do a variety of different things. But mostly classes during the week. I do run. I have ran 5k's. In April my two co-workers/gym buddies/my sisters from another mister and I are doing the dirty girl race in Atlanta. We were going to do the tough mudder but maybe next year!
  • Livnluv83
    Livnluv83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I luv Zumba!! Wish I could do it everyday! Right now I'm trying to complete 30 day shred which is good too.
  • rache12581
    Options
    I have always love spinning/cycling classes at the gym but now I don't really have time for the gym so I do workout dvds after the kids are in bed. I have mostly Jillian Michael's & Jackie Warner's workouts. I love the dvd's I have by these trainer's b/c they are 30 minutes long & very effective (if you eat right).
  • jhedeen
    jhedeen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For lifting I really like Chalene Extreme, for cardio Insanity..at my gym I go to a bootcamp and I really like that