Just thought I'd share :)

Options

Replies

• StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I just rechecked my calories to make sure I am on-track.
    You know what I find interesting though, in the US, they recommend that normally healthy woman gain 25-35 pounds. But in the UK and Europe, the recommend 17-30.
    I wonder why here in US they recommend so much more?
    I read that these weight recommendations were upped to 25-35 in 1990.
    When I was chatting with my mother, she said when she was pregnant in 1980 and 83, her dr recommended 15-20 pounds gain.
    And my pregnant girlfriend in France currently has that same recommendation.

Just wondered what other pregnant friends on MFP thought about recommendations for healthy weight gains for baby?
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My doctor also gave me the 25-35 range and I was spot on my healthy goal weight when I fell pregnant. He told me for my height, nothing unde 25, but also nothing over 35 for risk of complications. So far on track with the weight gain tracker I use, similar to the ones you posted... I think it depends on what your weight was before becoming pregnant, if you were over weight, you need to gain less.
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I will have to look at those. I am already overweight and my doc said I didn't need to gain any weight (last baby in Nov) I am 200 pounds though and already need to lose 70 pounds. He rolled his eyes at the "recommended" weight gain in general. I see a high risk doc too.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    From my understanding they changed the weight gain recommendations in the U.S. after realizing that for a normal BMI, more gain is necessary to sustain a healthy baby. Years ago they recommended much less but have since then reevaluated....but from what I understand women have always tended to gain more. Someone else posted a chart showing where that weight goes.

http://www.easybabylife.com/weight-gain-during-pregnancy.html#Pregnancy weight gain breakdown by week

Based on this chart, if a woman gains 27.6 lbs during pregnancy, only about 7 of that is fat, which is necessary to produce breast milk. For some women that fat gain could be less if their baby weighs more.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I find that really interesting that the rates are different over there, you think it would be a kind of acknowledged norm everywhere lol.
    I'm trying not to focus too much on the scale and just eating when I've been hungry and have felt the need to and the days when I do track have actually ended up being pretty close to the calculator i posted (go figure lol).
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My dr has never mentioned weight. I never asked her though. Perhaps b/c this is my 3rd child? They weigh me at each appt though and write it down.
    That calculator shows almost exactly what I've been eating (with mfp set to gain 1/2 lb plus exercise calories). I posted that calculator on baby center and so many women commented that they would gain a million lbs if they ate that much. It has worked out to almost exactly a pound a week for me in the 2nd trimester so far.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Interesting that different countries have different weight gain guidelines. I am normal weight (5'6" and was 125lb when I got pregnant) and I am planning on gaining up to 20lb. This is mostly because I'm terrified of having a very large baby, my second one weight 9lb 6oz and I had gained 23lb with that pregnancy. So this time I'm going to try only gaining about 20lb and hopefully that will not produce a huge baby :) I'm at 20 weeks and gained 2.5lb so far so I should be on track. The baby is doing perfectly and the correct size on the ultrasound (I just had one last week and they found the same due date with the current ultrasound that they found at 8 weeks). So far I also feel great, have just minimal heartburn and no constipation problems at all which I had with all my other pregnancies.. I think not gaining too fast is really helping my body. The midwives are supporting me as well so I'm glad I don't have to try to gain 25-35lbs. It's so hard to get it off after as well. And I always had way too much milk, I'm not worried about it at all.. My big baby gained 8lb in the first 2 months of his life (and I was engorged with too much more milk lol) so I know I don't have a problem there either :)