I'm exhausted

Options
hrvatska17
hrvatska17 Posts: 16 Member
Hi there, I just found this group after doing a search on the forums.. I am a caregiver, I take care of my grand mother who lives at my house. I am 24 and I '' took a year '' off to do this. I'm not alone, as I live with my parents, my mom takes care of her as well. But I'm the one staying home everyday 9-6 ( except on the weekends. )

Sometimes I feel like I'm just complaining and I shouldn't, but I am exhausted. I don't know what to do anymore. I took a vacation back in December and felt better after, but I can't do it again, I can't leave for more than 2 days. I feel imprisoned in my own house. I feel so much pressure, and I cry all the time.

I am thinking about seeing a psychologist, but it's expensive.. Has any of you tried that? Is it worth it?

Anyway I'm just looking for a little support here, cause I can't find it in my own family.. ( My parents are both as overwhelmed ) And my friends do not understand, well how could they..

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Counseling can be helpful if you find someone who suits you and you feel comfortable talking to.

Being a caregiver can be hard. I'm not even doing it full time but I've had to make a lot of life changes in order to take care of my mother. I understand but don't have any answers for you. You, however, are doing a wonderful thing to give up a year to take care of your grandmother. She is blessed to have someone who will do that for her.

Good luck......
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a caregiver for my daughter (3 years old). She is severely physically and cognitively disabled. It is enormously stressful as she is also extremely irritable. I exercise for an hour every morning before my kids wake up and it has been, by far, the biggest stress relief I've found (cured my crying jags). We have respite nursing come in once a week so we can go out on dates or see our friends. Make time for yourself and make sure you get regular breaks. Caregiving is very stressful, I'm there with you and I wish I had better advice. You will do a better job taking care of your grandmother if you take care of yourself, too.