where are you from?

Options
I'm curious as to where everyone is from? I'm from the uk, north east side from a littke town called Hartlepool which is famous for hanging a monkey.

What breed of horse the own/ride? I own a thoroughbred called jack daniels who is 11yr old and an ex racer.

What style of riding? English but I can ride western.

And anything else you might want to add

Replies

• SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I live in the US in Minnesota. It is famous for being the icebox of the country! I am from Saint Paul, the State Capitol, but I live in a rural area about 45 minutes west of Minneapolis, which is famous for being the most conservative congressional distract in the state. Kind of hard to take for a St. Paul liberal.:smile:

I was a longtime breeder of Arabian horses and Arabian crosses. I crossed to American Saddlebred and Lipizzaner. I owned a National Champion Tobiano Pinto Saddlebred stallion, which I still own but cut in 2009. I also owned a regional Champion Arabian stallion who suffered the same fate as the ASB in 2009. Bad horse economy, too much testosterone with nothing to do! I still have one Arabian stallion, a National winning halter horse who is also a longtime dressage training endeavor.

I own 18 horses, which is a decrease from the mid-30's I had at one time. I own two Lipizzan crosses still and have a few young horses, but my population is aging along with me.

I have been involved with dressage for a long time. I owned a Purebred Arabian gelding who was trained to Grand Prix. I had the advantage in those days of having a superior trainer who was a student/protege of Dominique Barbier. When she moved to Florida I was left with a different situation and have mostly struggled with trainers, as most trainers in this area are, at the least, heavily influenced by the German method, which is not for me or my sensitive and emotive horses.:noway:

I am settling into caretaker mode with the horses and if I can lose weight and gain some strength I would enjoy some trail riding. I have a very nice park 5 minutes away by trailer with horse trails. I would like to take better advantage of it.

Anyway, I wrote a book! I could go on and on, but I'll stop.
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Calgary is famous for the Calgary Stampede...very large rodeo that pretty much shuts down the city every year.

My horse is a stock Quarterhorse named Lily, 8 years old and about 15.3 hh. She's pretty much amazing. :D

We ride english jumper but can both go western for those awesome trail rides.
  • slavetothehoof
    slavetothehoof Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine stands at 16.3hh, and I've only owned him for 20 months but for 12 months he was off work due to injury and illness. I dont ride western on him, we do 3 day eventing, showjumping and hunter trials.

I've been riding for 20yrs now and have owned all shapes and sizes of horses. This is going to be my last full blooded tb, I'm currently in the process of buying a 2yr old palomino welsh section d cob x tb called Sahara.

If you go on racingpost.com and search James Bay (ire) thats the horse I currently own.
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm from the US as well; Buchanan, Michigan, which is in the SW corner just outside the Indiana border. We are known as Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation, and also home to the Redbud MX motorcross track.

We are breeders/trainers/exhibitors of american shetland ponies and american miniature horses. We primiarly do driving, but show in halter, obstacle, and in hand jumping as well with some of our horses. As of last weekend we are up to 23 horses (the baby in my profile picture was born on Sat.) and have 2 more babies coming soon.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from is a long story - I've moved that often - but I'm currently living in Northern Ireland. Don't own a horse at the moment, but I loan an Irish Cob/Connemara (probably - the owner isn't quite sure!) three or four days per week. 15.2 hh and a lovely shiny black. :heart: He's 8 and only knows about as much as a 4-year-old because the owner just bought him for decoration. If they were willing to sell him, I'd happily make him mine!

I'm not competetive by nature. I understand that dressage/flatwork schooling is important for any horse, and will do small jumps so I can pop a log in the forest, but I'd rather be out on the trail!

For the last year and a half, I've ridden treeless, and am loving the close contact. Used to drive as well, but fell out with the owner of those horses because of his rather dubious ideas about horsemanship. The picture in my ticker is from when I briefly had a job driving a carriage in the grounds of a stately home...
  • slavetothehoof
    slavetothehoof Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get into driving but would have to get a 2nd horse that I didn't want to compete as I've learnt from the past I don't have time for both.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately driving and competing in other disciplines, especially dressage, don't really go well together, because the ways they move under saddle and in harness are so different!
  • Michelleszoo68
    Michelleszoo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am from Utah, and live in a small rural town called Erda located about 30 minutes West of Salt Lake City. Utah is famous for skiing, red rock mountains, and the whole western lifestyle. I have 3 horses, an 8 year old AQHA mare, a 6 year old AQHA Appendix mare and my teddy bear, 25 year old Nacho, of questionable lineage, but he's probably a Morgan/ something cross :tongue: . I've spent 18 years hauling my daughter around to horse shows, rodeo's and parades and she has pretty much done it all, while I have been the horse show/rodeo/rodeo queen/eventing/hunter-jumper mom, supporting in the background. She is now at college so I'm focusing on me now and getting in shape so I can start doing more of what I love. I used to train in dressage back in the mid 90's and hope to get back doing that as soon as my weight is down. I am surrounded by mountains and thousands of miles of trails, so I do lots of trail riding and this Summer I'm planning on trying my hand at competitive trail riding and maybe some shorter endurance rides as my weight goes down. My Nacho is a former endurance racer and even though he's 25, he still thinks he's a 5 year old and he just loves to go go go. He's my big motivation for trimming down so I can ease the stress on him. As long as he is happy and healthy, we're going to be hitting the trails together for some time to come :smile:
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My name is Dawn and I live in northern Delaware which is on the east coast between New York City and Washington, DC. I have an X race horse, TB. I rescued him as a 5.5 yr old and now he is 14. I rehabbed and retrained him for pleasure and trails using clicker training and positive reinforcement.

The last 3 yrs I have been learning about Classical, VERY basic dressage, in-hand and riding, to develop his body. April 1st we are moving back to 5,000 acres of rolling green hills, paths in the woods and paths cut in hay fields! All 4 minutes from my house.

I am a professional performance barefoot trimmer on sabbatical to learn body work. I hope to share both loves with future clients. I love helping owners have healthy, happy horses. Most of my clients were middle age women enjoying their best friend, but I did teach one young mom to trim and she is training with Phillip Dutton, eventing, on her two fancy warmblood mares.

I began riding at 7 and this year I will be 62. I love Paper Chases and hope to go on the first one on Good Friday. I would love to learn about harness and take baby steps towards driving. Those paths I mentioned are mostly set up for driving!

Dawn
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I could have visited when I was in Nevada!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am from Norway Maine my name is Heather, I have been riding horses since I was 5 years old. I now train and ride my friends horses as I am in the process of buying my very first two horses to enjoy. I am in training for dressage and show jumping as I was in a severe car accident in 2011 and was unable to walk for 1yr and had to relearn how to walk after that. So the weight needs to come off that I have gained from all this not being able to move... I am looking into purchasing a Gypsy Vanner and Friesian , I normally have been in the saddle of Quarter Horses, Off the track STB and TB. So going to the more eye turning breeds will be a HUGE new for me :). Well hope to get to know you all a little better!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I think around here, your "Gypsy Vanner" would be considered a plain old cob, and they're a dime a dozen :laugh: But I do love the big fluffy manes!
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I live in southern Arkansas, in a little town called Camden. We're the town where history lives, and that's about the only thing that does.

I currently own two horses, and care for my BMF's (Best Male Friend) horse. Lady is a 16.3 hh 1,200 lb APHA mare, 13 y/o. Fancy is a unpapered QH mare 8 y/o, 15.2 hh and about 1,000 lbs. and then Houdini is a AQHA gelding 7 y/o, about 16.1 - 16.2 hh, 1,150 - 1,200 lbs. The two mares are mine, and the gelding is my BMF's horse.

I ride western, but have had some english lessons. Wish I could get some again, but that really isn't popular around here, but I love what it does for my riding ability.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think around here, your "Gypsy Vanner" would be considered a plain old cob, and they're a dime a dozen :laugh: But I do love the big fluffy manes!

ha ha yes its pretty much Irish cob :) I have always loved the breeds look but here in USA they are EXPENSIVE!!
  • wobblyweevil
    Options
    Okapi42, where in Norn Iron are you? I moved back to England last year after being stationed over there for a few years and I miss it like mad. I lived out in the Dromara hills originally, then moved to Lisburn. If I win the lottery I'm moving to somewhere between Castlewellan and Newcastle!

I'm in West Yorkshire and have 2 of my own, my mum has a 'Gypsy vanner' cob who actually came from the gypsies and we share a little companion pony as we rent a little yard just for ours.

Mine are Hera - 11yr old 15hh anglo arab x, we do trec and low level endurance with occasional xc/dressage schooling. Sooti - 16yr old 15hh welsh cob x, she is semi-retired because I don't have time for two and she doesn't have a sharer at the moment, but she is a happy hacker and gets to do occasional pleasure rides.

The whole herd is barefoot and kept on a paddock paradise system, the three who are ridden have treeless English style saddles (SBS) and mine flip between bitted and bitless depending on what we're doing although mum prefers to use a bit.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hi Wobbly,

I live in Belfast, but I've moved around a fair bit in the time I've lived here. The Mournes are a nice choice, but my favourite place to live so far has been the Sperrins. This place is addictive, I was only meant to be here for a six week work placement, and that's nearly four years ago now!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Midland, Michigan; Egyptian Arabian horses, currently down to 13; ride western a little, prefer a dressage deep-seat saddle ( Passier), riding in endurance and competitive trail as well as pleasure trail riding, showed in native costume and made custom Bedouin-style native costumes for horse and rider, from the tree up.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

I am Jill, 35yo, and live in southwest Ohio. My mare is a registered 18yo North American Spotted Draft (her sire and dam were PerchxPaint) and she rocks! She's 15.2, around 1200lb, and just the best partner I could've ever imagined. I've done about everything with her: fun shows, western, dressage, hunter trials/paces, hunting, and now we just have fun out on the trails. I usually ride her bareback, but if I use my saddle the it's my deep seat dressage saddle.
  • laotte
    laotte Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm From Wisconsin. I own a beautiful paint mare. We do trail riding, we have been to a lot of places and different states. When we trail ride it is not a slow and easy ride. Most places we go have a lot of hills and we ride for long hours. I do enjoy see all that nature has to offer.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Africa and own 3 horses. I've got a retired saddler gelding and two Nooitgedaghters, a gelding and a stallion. I'm just a happy hacker.