New to MFP and this group

Options
poetsna1
poetsna1 Posts: 1 Member
Hi,
My name is Sylvia and I live in Chicago. I am 50 plus (wisdom, experience, you get the drift:) ) and would love to be a part of this group. I just started MFP last week and really excited to begin this journey of eating healthy and working out. I finally realized that I should love my body just as it is and love it enough to only treat it kindly!

Looking forward to sharing your posts and joining in when I can.

Ciao for now!
Sylvia

Replies

• gem4321
    Options
    Hi Sylvia

You sound just like me ......it's time to treat ourselves better

Sent you a friend request

Ang
  • lizzy505
    Options
    Hi ! I am starting a new journey ..... after several others have failed. But it is me that is making them fail. Now I weigh more then every before. I would like to hear from people who can be positive in this and tips on keeping away me away from the wrong snacks especially at night. I sit and watch tv and I feel I always have to have something to eat. I want to break this bad habit!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    lizzy, you will find lots of supportive people on here. Build a friends list and log in daily. It will work!
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sylvia,

Isn't it amazing how poorly we have been treating ourselves. It never quite occurred to me that I should be giving my bod the respect it deserves I was shocked when the awareness hit.

Good luck on your journey. See you around!
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Cindy, need to loose 100 pounds, will turn 55 in July, this is my 2nd time around loosing 100 pounds and it is much harder this time. First time I was in my teens and early 20s. I have 3 adult children and a new grand daughter. Love dogs and live in the cold hardy northern state of MN. I have been on here awhile but just started actually using it this last week because my daughter who is also loosing weight wanted me to join her here. I intend to take my goals 10 pounds at a time until I see that magic number pop up on the scale. My motto is " There is no food that taste as good as being healthy feels." Been there once and know that this is true. Friend me if you think we can encourage each other. Talk to you soon! Chin Up /Weight Down
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'd like to join your group. I never had a weight issue until I hit my 40's and then it all fell apart. It seems no matter what I try I just keep gaining weight and I workout 5 x a week for 45-90 minutes. I've got some beautiful childre and grandchildren and I'm embarassed to have my picture taken with them - I love them all to pieces but I can't stand to look at how fat I've gotten. I don't even recognize myself anymore. I want to get back into shape so I can enjoy my life and enjoy and be able to do things with my family. I don't believe I'm "too far gone" and I want to prove it to myself.
  • KLuyk
    KLuyk Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! We are all needing a fresh start this spring! Let's do this together and log in daily! There are many of us out there and we can work together! Good luck and take it ONE DAY AT A TIME!
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new myself, but MFP is working for me. I'd like a few new friends with positive attitudes and inquiring minds. Please feel free to add me.
  • ThinWithin7
    ThinWithin7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Sylvia,

Welcome aboard. :happy:
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Well I've been with MFP for one week & I'll do my first weigh in tomorrow. I'm nervous - my calories are supposed to be around 1,800 which is still hard to get my head wrapped around. I hovered a bit below that most of the week & the last two days I was slightly over that.

My biggest problem is not getting enough protein. Before doing this plan when I was trying to stay around 1,200 cal per day I was having a protein shake after working out in the mornings but this past week since being on the program I've been having 1cup low fat yogurt, 1/2 c fresh berries & 1/3 cup granola instead. Lunch has been 2 cups salad with lots of veggies & a hard boiled egg diced on top. I know eggs are a good source of protein but I can't eat them every day for breakfast! Maybe this week I'll scramble an egg & add either turkey sausage or diced ham & take it with me. I can alternate that & yogurt parfait for breakfast or alternate either one with the salad for lunch. I know salmon is one of the highest meats for protein but we just don't care for it. Actually DH can't stand it but every once in awhile the local grocery store will make "salmon sliders" & I can stomach those. I know not as good for me as a "plain piece of salmon" but its an attempt at least.

What are you doing to meet your protein goals? I love peanut butter but I try to stay away because I don't want to stop sometimes!

What do you eat before & after working out? All I can do before working out is coffee but this past week while making my meals for the day I've been eating a baby bel cheese & the after workout when I get to the office I eat my breakfast. I've read it's supposed to be carb before & protein after.

Thanks!
  • Dorief
    Dorief Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am loving MFP. This is the first time I have used a food diary that I think I can stick with.
  • italianpeddler
    italianpeddler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    HI I am Diane,
    I turned 50 in Feb I joined MFP March 10th. Now that I am over the shell shock of turning 50 i guess it is time to get the old body back in shape and give Father Time a run for his money.

I think food tracking was just what I needed It is was a game changer for me.

Looking forward to sharing tips and tricks.

Good Luck all.
    Diane