Feel like self sabotaging? Come here.

Options
ObtainingBalance
ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
Find out what your mind is telling you. What is making that binge trigger food look so good when you're not hungry? Is it even hunger or cravings...? Is it your mindset? ("I already messed up my diet, today is a "cheat" day!" "Ugh, I can't make it to my goal weight anyway, I might as well give up. The scale isn't looking good anyways."... etc) These negative thought patterns are probably dealing with the subconscious mind --

http://www.eruptingmind.com/self-sabotage-the-subconscious-mind/

Here are some of the things that lead us in the cycle of self sabotage..I will list the source for this after, and the website has the details I am not writing down.
1: Dodging Emotions: The Help That Harms
2: Procrastination: Oops, Where Did the Day Go?
3: Extreme Modesty: The Case of the Disappearing Self
4: Addiction: The Long Slide

(http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201109/self-sabotage-the-enemy-within)

You coming to this thread is showing that you want to make changes and you want the best for yourself, I'm proud of you! *Claps*

Now.. I thought we could use the comment box to write out what is triggering us to overeat/binge. If you came here in the mood to go over calories - just think and write about what you think is pushing the urge (emotions, thoughts, how your day went, etc.)

Usually, once I write everything down I feel so much more relieved and I usually find I don't really want the food as much as I thought I did. If you've overcome a craving - you should go to the victory post and tell us ! :D

:flowerforyou:

tumblr_lvurfdxRj61qjfayao1_500.png

Replies

• JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    Stress. When I have a hard day, my first thought is to "reward" myself with cookies, cake, cheese fries, etc. I've been really trying to change that thought process and realize that my "rewards" are going to just cause me more stress.
  • chevvy50
    chevvy50 Posts: 14
    Options
    im emotional eater ....dont like being unsettled with things and that is how my life has been for past 2 1/2 years because my health my life has changed so.much .....for the worse.....but will battle every day :) x
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I can relate to you both. I'm definitely a stress eater... I try to convince myself that eating will bring on more stress but sometimes I give in anyways regardless of how I know it will make me feel. It almost seems like punishment because I'm mad or annoyed at something anyways and I can inflict it on myself... is that weird? Like getting sad/down and then taking it out on myself, kind of like when I make myself feel sick by binge eating on rich foods. Exp: I'll be mad at myself for gaining a lb, so I just go and ruin more of my goals by compulsively overeating for a couple days.
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    Boredom, my guy works nights so the kids go to bed and it's just me. Sitting there. Or lack of planning, zip through my day and don't eat then get home from work famished and stuff snacks into my cakehole, then feel guilty so I over eat at dinner becasue of my "failure" attitude, then overindulge that night due to more guilt/failure feelings. Horrible cycle. Trying REALLY hard to get a grasp on it. Good luck to you all!
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    Also, thanks for posting that article!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Boredom, my guy works nights so the kids go to bed and it's just me. Sitting there. Or lack of planning, zip through my day and don't eat then get home from work famished and stuff snacks into my cakehole, then feel guilty so I over eat at dinner becasue of my "failure" attitude, then overindulge that night due to more guilt/failure feelings. Horrible cycle. Trying REALLY hard to get a grasp on it. Good luck to you all!

Woman, get out of my head! :laugh:
  • aimeelouise79
    aimeelouise79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Blah, hopefully nobody will mind me posting this here. I'm having a really hard time with urges to binge at the moment. I've been doing amazingly well lately, I dared to think that I might be starting to get over it. But I graduate uni this year and am currently on leave getting all my essays and dissertation ready for deadlines at the end of May, and as the stress amps up the cravings are getting stronger and stronger. This week has been especially tough, and today is the worst day yet. Deadline season last year was awful, I was pretty much binging daily and (plus purging for the first time). I really don't want to go there again. So far I have been resisting, but the urges themselves are just horrible, it's practically a physical discomfort and you can't think of anything else :( That's about it, quite a self-pitying post I know but I figured everyone here knows this feeling well...any words of support would be very, very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read :)
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Right now not sure where my head is at. It has been a couple of rough weeks lately. I had the LapBand installed last year but for some reason I am trying to eat around it. Not sure what I am thinking. I know it will cause me problems but i keep on eating. It is a lot of bedtime snacking. Trying different things. Like talking to the hubs and get his watchful eye I am going to look at those websites you posted. Thanks for this post.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Blah, hopefully nobody will mind me posting this here. I'm having a really hard time with urges to binge at the moment. I've been doing amazingly well lately, I dared to think that I might be starting to get over it. But I graduate uni this year and am currently on leave getting all my essays and dissertation ready for deadlines at the end of May, and as the stress amps up the cravings are getting stronger and stronger. This week has been especially tough, and today is the worst day yet. Deadline season last year was awful, I was pretty much binging daily and (plus purging for the first time). I really don't want to go there again. So far I have been resisting, but the urges themselves are just horrible, it's practically a physical discomfort and you can't think of anything else :( That's about it, quite a self-pitying post I know but I figured everyone here knows this feeling well...any words of support would be very, very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read :)

No body will mind! This group welcomes you to share your struggles. I think talking it out can be therapeutic. =)
    I've had those weeks where I feel great, don't have any binges, and start to tell myself I'm getting over them! It usually isn't the case. We have installed this coping mechanism in us, so it is going to reappear every time we feel uncomfortable. There are different emotional triggers for everyone.

Good news: The more we say NO when we have the urges - We are rewiring neural pathways!! We're strengthening the good habits; the more we preform them! <3 Think of that next time you have the urge. Because the urge doesn't have any control over you unless you act on it. ~

I really hate assignments... they stress me out - especially long essays and short deadlines! Procrastination is a BIG binge trigger for me. If course work stresses me out food is the first thing I go to. I'll use excuses and then before I know it I have a huge cup of ice cream with me while staying up late and doing homework.

Feel free to message me anytime, girly. Anyone is welcome to in this group when they feel a binge urge, it's easier to fight it with support. I also have kik if anyone uses it.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Right now not sure where my head is at. It has been a couple of rough weeks lately. I had the LapBand installed last year but for some reason I am trying to eat around it. Not sure what I am thinking. I know it will cause me problems but i keep on eating. It is a lot of bedtime snacking. Trying different things. Like talking to the hubs and get his watchful eye I am going to look at those websites you posted. Thanks for this post.

Good luck :) Realizing the problem is good. I like how you have come here to evaluate and you're not trying to stay in self denial. That shows you want to change! Hang in there and keep telling your husband how you're doing. Someone in person living with you is the best accountability.
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I eat anytime i have a extreme emotion. It doesnt matter if it happy or sad i tend to celebrate or sooth myself with food.
    Its almost like I get in a daze and dont realize what I am doing till its too late and I am 1000 calories in.
    I have become more aware of my triggers, however when work is bad and other things arent going smooth....it feels like an up hill climb!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I eat anytime i have a extreme emotion. It doesnt matter if it happy or sad i tend to celebrate or sooth myself with food.
    Its almost like I get in a daze and dont realize what I am doing till its too late and I am 1000 calories in.
    I have become more aware of my triggers, however when work is bad and other things arent going smooth....it feels like an up hill climb!

I do this also. If I'm really happy sometimes my mind just goes to "I should make cookies! Get ice cream! Etc..." Also think of this when I'm sad/lonely.... definitely a trigger!

I'm glad you're becoming more aware. Evaluating the situation non judgementally is the key. <3