Any of EBFing moms?

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
My son is about 3 1/2 months old and I have been mostly pumping due to slight tongue tie, inverted nipples, and pain. But I recently wanted to try more nursing. He is getting pretty good, but sometimes when he is not interested anymore he kind of pulls away and bites down!!! My instinct is to slap him like I would my cat (of course I don't)!! I was wondering if anyone else had that experience.

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Max chomps down, but I think it's because his gums hurt from teething.

Sometimes it makes me yelp and that scares him a bit. I can tell when he's eating and when he's just comfort nursing, so I pop him off and give him a pacifier if i know he's having a teething day. I've sort of accepted that I'll get a nibble every so often, I wonder if the other moms have any good tips?
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yup my 7 month old does it a lot. She started before she had teeth and now she has two. She hasn't done it very much since she got teeth which is why I think she was teething. Hurts so bad though!!haha
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My 5 week old doesn't do that a whole lot but when she does I quickly unlatch her right away. Maybe they'll learn that way that it's a no no.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My 4.5 month old hasn't started this yet...but with my oldest (who's now 2 1/2), I would jump and she would laugh...thought it was a funny game.

My sister in law would flick her daughter's cheek if she bit, just lightly. Worked great for her. I did that every once in a while, but felt so bad when I did it!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Mine does it some times, too. She'll keep my nipple in her mouth, then either pull back or turn her head while clamping down. When she pulls back it's usually a sign she's getting full and it's time to stop, when she turns her head it's because something has caught her attention and she's trying to look.

I recently learned that MIL stopped bfing BIL cold turkey when he was 8 months old. I guess he sprouted some teeth and bit down hard enough to make her cry, and the only way she could get him to let go was by squeezing his jaw (like you would if you were trying to get your cat to open his mouth). Fingers crossed that doesn't happen to any of us!

Anyway, I mentioned it to a few relatives, all of them said their babies do/did it, too. Maybe it's normal for our babies to treat our boobs like chew toys once in a while? :ohwell:
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    My son is about 3 1/2 months old and I have been mostly pumping due to slight tongue tie, inverted nipples, and pain. But I recently wanted to try more nursing. He is getting pretty good, but sometimes when he is not interested anymore he kind of pulls away and bites down!!! My instinct is to slap him like I would my cat (of course I don't)!! I was wondering if anyone else had that experience.

oohhhh yeahhhh!!!!!! plenty of times. u have to stop ur self and remember this is not their fault. agghh:/
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    When Devon, 5.5 months, chomps down I do the "boob squish". Basically I gently push his face into me and he lets go usually immediately. I tell him no firmly and then relatch him. He will sometimes smile at me when I say no, so I'm very careful not to smile back - I want him to get some idea of the "no". I also offer the paci when I think he's just comfort nursing and I want to try and get something done.
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YUP! My 4 month old started to do this a month ago. OUCH! My eldest never bit this much.
    I'm so used to do it that I can predict when she's about to do it, I just remove her for a quick second.
    My daughter only does it when she's about to fall asleep, she chews on her soothers so I'm thinking she's doing the same with me.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I got my first bite on Tuesday. It scared me and hurt quite a bit. I had no idea just gums could hurt so bad! My initial reaction was to yell and pull her off. Well my yelling out scared her enough so she popped off. I think in the future I will try the "boob smoosh" mentioned above or the unlatch with a firm no. Hopefully one or the other works!

I have a nosey nancy- every time she eats she wants to look around the room, watch the tv, see what the dog is doing, look out the window... anything and everything all at once! Ha- it's amazing how interested they are in everything at such a young age. (Caitlin is just over 4 months now)

Kiley- I bf as often as possible and pump while I'm at work during the day. I pump anywhere from 2-3 times at work, pump one boob while babe is eating off the other in the morning, and then once right before bed. Cate's only nursing about 2-3 times a day now. I think most of the painful nursing is when she's just comfort nursing because she doesn't really want the milk- just the nip!

I hope Miles has better luck latching. Keep at it and I'm sure it'll work out for you. Great job pumping, by the way. That's really hard work and you are doing a great job!
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I got my first bite on Tuesday. It scared me and hurt quite a bit. I had no idea just gums could hurt so bad! My initial reaction was to yell and pull her off. Well my yelling out scared her enough so she popped off. I think in the future I will try the "boob smoosh" mentioned above or the unlatch with a firm no. Hopefully one or the other works!

I have a nosey nancy- every time she eats she wants to look around the room, watch the tv, see what the dog is doing, look out the window... anything and everything all at once! Ha- it's amazing how interested they are in everything at such a young age. (Caitlin is just over 4 months now)

Kiley- I bf as often as possible and pump while I'm at work during the day. I pump anywhere from 2-3 times at work, pump one boob while babe is eating off the other in the morning, and then once right before bed. Cate's only nursing about 2-3 times a day now. I think most of the painful nursing is when she's just comfort nursing because she doesn't really want the milk- just the nip!

I hope Miles has better luck latching. Keep at it and I'm sure it'll work out for you. Great job pumping, by the way. That's really hard work and you are doing a great job!

Thank you, his lip tie is much better now that's he's older and he is much better at latching. It isn't as painful. Last weekend I nursed him most of the day, except for a bottle at night, but still pumped 4 times. He still doesn't empty me all the way, I'm not sure if that is because of the shield I have to use. He latched once without it and it hurt so bad I had to un-latch him, maybe I just have weenie nipples...lol. I agree that the comfort nursing is more painful. With him, he seems to do it when I switch sides, and he is probably full.
  • LindsayLo79
    LindsayLo79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pumping for a few minutes before feedings? that could help you get off the nipple shield? Just a thought. :) My son is teething and doing the same - I do the boob smoosh and seems to work...I will say that now that he has done it a few times I watch him more closley while he is eating...I guess trying to catch him before he clenches...no more reading or playing on my phone while he eats. LOL
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Have you tried pumping for a few minutes before feedings? that could help you get off the nipple shield? Just a thought. :) My son is teething and doing the same - I do the boob smoosh and seems to work...I will say that now that he has done it a few times I watch him more closley while he is eating...I guess trying to catch him before he clenches...no more reading or playing on my phone while he eats. LOL

No I haven't but I might try. I am still scared to do it without the shield..lol. I will try the left side though, it seems less sensitive.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

No I haven't but I might try. I am still scared to do it without the shield..lol. I will try the left side though, it seems less sensitive.

It takes time for the nips to desensitize. When I stopped using my nipple shield I was quite sore, but mostly when she wouid first latch on, then it would go away. It gets better!
  • chickybuns
    Options

It takes time for the nips to desensitize. When I stopped using my nipple shield I was quite sore, but mostly when she wouid first latch on, then it would go away. It gets better!

Thanks, I might try it again this weekend!
  • ThisIsCharity
    ThisIsCharity Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I EBF for along time with my youngest and its completely normal and hurts like a b-atch LOL The only way I could get her to stop was to unlatch and tell her sternly "NO BITING." and stop the session for minute or so before starting up again. It took some time and there were tears on both ends, but it was mainly because when she was teething it seemed to be soothing to her. It was so bad sometimes that she even broke the skin. But we're at almost 2 years and she's still nursing (with no biting!)