Off Topic sort of

Options
dbrightwell1270
dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
I saw a post in another forum where a woman was hesitant to lift weights because she was weak and fat and thought it would be embarrassing to have everyone see her. I've heard on this forum and from larger friends all about going through life feeling invisible and like you're being ignored because of our size.

I just thought it was ironic that there is a complaint of being seemingly invisible and yet when there is something that can be done to help improve your health and appearance, there is hesitation to do so because others may actually notice you.

I don't know that this has anything to do with being single but I figured I'd say it here. If I said it in the thread where I noticed this, I'd probably get flamed for being insensitive.

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ironic maybe, but I think it's more the fear of being ridiculed that will keep people from doing certain things that are good for them.

When I started running, I actually did it on the paths in a cemetery because I was fearful of how often I stopped and the fact that I didn't look like a runner. Luckily no one there bothered me...:wink: Then again, I'm still a fan of running there and on trails so as not to be seen by many people. Just my style I guess.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    When you are weak or overweight or not feeling good...you don't want to be noticed..and judged or made fun of. But being invisible is an awful feeling as well, particularly if you feel you are making an effort and it is unappreciated or not noticed.

I think you are lucky to either have come further on your "journey" than this woman, or maybe you have always had more confidence and less fear. Regardless, shame is a big factor for people...and while I know that some things sound like excuses (and they are), there is a reason (usually emotional) that people don't do or want to do what they know they should. I am not sure that judging their behaviour is really very fair.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this in many ways. I used to care who saw me. The first gym I joined was one of those 24 hr types. Working nights, I'd go really late or super early to avoid being seen by others. Now, I don't care who sees me when I am at the gym. Friends tease me because some of the fitness classes I participate in, like Zumba, are 99% women. I'll be the only guy there and not care one bit. In their eyes, they feel it takes more balls to be in class full of women, I tried to drag them with, they refuse too. It's "intimidating".:laugh: However, asking out a girl, now that''s intimidating. They find it funny though because they feel the opposite.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    People in general do not want to be put in places they feel uncomfortable. It is hard enough for most women to go to the free weight area of a gym much less someone that will stick out because they are not the normal person in that area of the gym. I know when I first started working out doing cardio I would usually use the cardio cinema because it was dark in there and I didn't think anyone would be paying attention to me.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's contradictory if you look at the psychology behind it. People feel invisible because they are being dismissed based on external judgment the same way they feel noticed for negative things based on external judgment. Basically, they believe others consider them not human because they are overweight which results in being ignored, or being made fun of.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think it's a form of stage fright because I know super skinny people who want to lift but won't go to the gym because they don't want people watching them. I don't have "stage fright" at all if I know what I'm doing, and I'm an experienced lifter now, so I don't care about that sort of thing, but I can imagine I would've felt the same way in the beginning. I have a garage gym set-up at home, so I'm pretty much always alone when I train, but sometimes it would be fun to be PRing in a public gym so I could high-five a stranger after pulling a huge deadlift.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I can also agree to this in many ways as well. When I was at my heaviest I was so embarrassed that people would notice me trying to be more active, like they would ridicule the fat girl for running. I was so nervous when I started running outside at 245lbs. Then when I joined the gym in the winter I was happy it was a women's only. Now that I am down 85lbs, I am like 'look at me and what I accomplished' lol.

But on the other hand, when I was alot heavier I also wished people would still like me for me. Now the people close to me obvisously did, but I felt 1. that people looking to date would pass over me becuase of my size (lets be honest, dating -- especially online dating-- can be shallow), but 2. I also thought I could only be interested in overweight people too (not saying I wasn't, I just meant I thought that was all I was allowed to be attacted too). I know this sounds ridiculous and possibly rude, but I thought becuase I was overweight I could only initiate or smile at people who were overweight even though I thought others were attractive - maybe it was more a protective layer so I didn't feel rejected. Who knows. Doesn't matter what my size is, I still don't get alot of response ;)

none the less, I can totally appreciate where this person is coming from
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Dani, I don't see my observation as a judgement on their behavior. I really was just observing the irony. There is such a feeling of I want to be noticed. When there is a chance, there is fear that can be paralyzing. I've been there before and to some extent, I still am.

From my personal experience, I'd say my confidence is lower now than it was when I started. Back then I knew I was fat. I didn't realize I was THAT fat. I never thought I looked that bad. If I lost about 30 pounds I'd be fine. I'm just naturally big. I see those pictures now and it makes me question how much I can trust my judgement in my own appearance. I still find myself saying, I look decent for my age. I have a lot of muscle. I will never conform to the BMI charts (which I won't). If I lose another 20-30 pounds along with the weights I'll look really good. I really have no idea how others see me though. People told me I was just big back then and people will tell me I look good now. No one wants to be seen as the jerk who said you're fat and delusional.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's probably because I have been fat before, but when I notice overweight people working out or doing something that indicates that they care about their health, I want to stop and congratulate them. I saw a very obese guy today walk out of a store to his truck, which was parked all the way at the back of a huge parking lot. He could've parked much, much closer to the door, but I took it that he was trying to get some exercise, and I thought "Good for him."
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    It's probably because I have been fat before, but when I notice overweight people working out or doing something that indicates that they care about their health, I want to stop and congratulate them. I saw a very obese guy today walk out of a store to his truck, which was parked all the way at the back of a huge parking lot. He could've parked much, much closer to the door, but I took it that he was trying to get some exercise, and I thought "Good for him."

I'm the same way! When I see people running I want to say nice, encouraging things to them but I always chicken out because I don't know how they'll take it, haha!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I'm the same way! When I see people running I want to say nice, encouraging things to them but I always chicken out because I don't know how they'll take it, haha!

This happened to me many months ago. I was slogging (slow jog) up a semi steep hill. A tall, lanky gentleman in his 40's I'd guess, yelled out to me as he past me by on the way down the hill. "GOOD JOB!" and gave me 2 thumbs up and a smile. It felt great. :drinker: Then during the same run, on my way back down the same hill, I came across a really cute blonde woman who smiled at me as I past her by.:smooched: She was being friendly but that smile gave me that boost of energy to keep going.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I do too! Becuase I have also been there.
    In our gym (goodlife) we have alot of before/after pictures around the gym but these aren't people in our gym or even in our city.
    I had recommended to them to put up success stories of the members of the gym, so people can see first hand the success, I even offered myself and heard nothing back.

I just think for alot of people, they may see 'fit' people and think 'must be nice' (haha I was like that) but they have NO IDEA that I came from where they are. Just would be nice for them to see the success stories of what will come from their hard work.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is one of those things where the individual has to be more embarrassed about how he/she looks/feels than how he/she looks at the gym.

I generally tell people I have seen many individuals at the gym who do ridiculous exercises and no one ever says anything negative to them, including myself.

I don't know why people are so self conscious that they allow themselves to not help themselves.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    Dani, I don't see my observation as a judgement on their behavior. I really was just observing the irony. There is such a feeling of I want to be noticed. When there is a chance, there is fear that can be paralyzing. I've been there before and to some extent, I still am.

From my personal experience, I'd say my confidence is lower now than it was when I started. Back then I knew I was fat. I didn't realize I was THAT fat. I never thought I looked that bad. If I lost about 30 pounds I'd be fine. I'm just naturally big. I see those pictures now and it makes me question how much I can trust my judgement in my own appearance. I still find myself saying, I look decent for my age. I have a lot of muscle. I will never conform to the BMI charts (which I won't). If I lose another 20-30 pounds along with the weights I'll look really good. I really have no idea how others see me though. People told me I was just big back then and people will tell me I look good now. No one wants to be seen as the jerk who said you're fat and delusional.

Ah.. I see. Sorry for misinterpreting what you were meaning. Kinda cute you called me Dani. Very few get away with that. You may. :tongue:

I have never really hated my body as much as society and my mother probably thought I should. I always knew I had to lose weight, but never really realized how very much until I would see myself in pictures. This flip flops now for me. Some days I feel as big as I did when I weighed 70 lbs more, and other days I realize I am now a much smaller size. I still need to lose about 70 lbs probably..but because I have a lot of muscle and do not have a small frame I can hide it in clothing relatively well.

Not only do I lift weights, but I do it in the guy section on purpose. It pushes me both physically and socially. They have much better form and exercises for me to copy than the women, and to be honest I really enjoy having someone in a room lifting something heavier than me and not wearing head to toe Lululemon (but I digress).

When I was younger I was actually painfully shy in some ways - certainly regarding my body and definitely around boys. And yet, I was a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons and was in ballet as a kid. Certainly not sports where you get away with any clothing coverage! I can't remember the moment where I learned what confidence, ANY confidence, false or real did for my relationships.. but I started faking that..and it evolved into real confidence. Even now, as I work in a university where there are always events with influential people, I make it my mission to subtlely get to know, make eye contact with or engage with the most influential people in the room. Networking yes, but it is personal practice in confidence for me.
    To be honest, I'll do the same thing in a bar or anywhere else with an attractive man as well. The better looking, the more chance I'll crack a joke or talk to him in an offhand manner. It isn't about interest or even really flirting.. it is I think proving to myself that I'm not intimidated and am just as good as anyone else..and there is no place for shame or feeling like a second-class citizen due to being overweight (or anything else).
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    It is one of those things where the individual has to be more embarrassed about how he/she looks/feels than how he/she looks at the gym.

I generally tell people I have seen many individuals at the gym who do ridiculous exercises and no one ever says anything negative to them, including myself.

Keep in mind the person isn't necessarily afraid of someone SAYING something bad to them, but thinking something bad about them. So when you say "Oh, yeah, there are a bunch of ridiculous people there but no one says anything" is exactly the type of thought they're trying to avoid. They don't want "you" to think they're ridiculous/fat/pathetic/etc. Judgment.
    I don't know why people are so self conscious that they allow themselves to not help themselves.

It's easier to hide and make excuses than to confront your fears. It's not about rationale at that point.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is dumb, but I too hate doing new exercises, etc because I'm afraid someone is going to think "wow look at this girl trying to do that." If I want to try something new I watch others for a period of time and see how to do it. One of my worst gym anxieties is someone coming up and saying "you're doing it wrong."

I'm doing this new challenge where you try different classes and honestly, I get anxiety before I go each week. I know how to do the treadmill, the stationary bike...but trying something new like Zumba is scary!
  • wharmychippy
    Options
    Spotlight effect

The spotlight effect is the tendency of an individual to overestimate the extent to which others are paying attention to the individual's appearance and behavior. That is, people believe that they are in the “spotlight” and that everyone is paying attention to them, as when a person drops a cup in a restaurant and gets embarrassed, believing that everyone has seen it. “The Barry Manilow t-shirt experiment” demonstrates the spotlight effect. Students got self-conscious when they were required to wear a t-shirt with an unpopular picture to classes. The students believed more than 50 percent of their classmates would notice their shirts and judge them, when in fact fewer than 20 percent noticed the t-shirt.

http://www.psych.cornell.edu/sec/pubPeople/tdg1/Gilo.Medvec.Sav.pdf