How long after a miscarriage?

Options
katilynnegray
katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
Hopefully your answers will give me some peace of mind b/c right now I have very little. . .

My question is this: How long after you had a miscarriage were you able to conceive?

Replies

• kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your answers will give me some peace of mind b/c right now I have very little. . .

My question is this: How long after you had a miscarriage were you able to conceive?

Sadly I have a lot of experience with this. I have a blood clotting disorder that caused me to miscarry 5 times before it was diagnosed but the good news is it only took me a month or two every time to conceive again, and this last (and so far successful pregnancy) wasn't even planned. Good Luck, just try again when you are ready emotionally.
  • katilynnegray
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm going crazy, it's been 6mo since the miscarriage and I'm starting to get worried. It only took 2mo the first time to get pregnant. This really sucks :(
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The Dr told me I only had to wait thru one regular cycle to try again. I wasn't ready quite that soon, and wound up waiting 3 months to try again. 1st try and we were pregnant again. Good luck!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    Sorry, it's been so long. That's really frustrating. I found trying to take my mind off the TTC process by setting things up to look forward too, holidays/vacations, days out, etc. helped a bit. Or do what I did and plan to start a midwifery course and stop TTC altogether. It was a sure fire way to get pregnant!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    Just a thought, but do you ovulation chart with basal body temperture?
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had an ectopic pregnancy last January (it resolved on its own, and luckily I didn't lose a tube or need surgery). I wasn't ready to try again until the summer, and had a miscarriage in September. It took us until December to conceive again, but so far so good. I would also recommend charting your temperature if you're not already. I used an app on my phone called Kindara; I also have a friend who has used Fertility Friend (there's an app or you can chart online). Good luck!
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just miscarried in December. The docs told me to wait a cycle or two, but after doing much research and asking the doc if there was a "real" reason for preventing pregnancy after a miscarriage without an answer, I told her there was no way I was going to prevent it from happening. She said, "Although I can't medically advice it, i think it is reasonable." I chart my BBT, I ovulated 4 weeks after my m/c, and when I didn't get my period 14 days later, I took a test and lo and behold, it was POSITIVE! This time I've heard a healthy heartbeat at 9 weeks so things are looking on the up and up so far. Although I felt like I was ready, I've dealt with a lot of doubt and worry. It's been difficult to attach to this pregnancy for fear of losing another one. But it is getting easier as time goes by, heard heartbeat, and continue to have symptoms.
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss... We conceived about 4 months after I gave birth to my first child. He was stillborn. I pray you have some peace today.. ((Hugs))
  • katilynnegray
    Options
    Thank-you all for your input. April, I am ready for this to happen but I fear what you are going through as well- not being able to get excited for fear it will happen again.

I've been doing the ovulation tests but haven't charted my temp. I've read a little bit about it but I'm not sure how I do it. Do I need a specific type of thermometer, and if so where do I get it? Do I chart every day, even during my period?
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    Thank-you all for your input. April, I am ready for this to happen but I fear what you are going through as well- not being able to get excited for fear it will happen again.

I've been doing the ovulation tests but haven't charted my temp. I've read a little bit about it but I'm not sure how I do it. Do I need a specific type of thermometer, and if so where do I get it? Do I chart every day, even during my period?

You will need a BBT thermometer, which is a lot more sensitive than a normal one. You can get them really cheaply on e-bay. The best place to start would be a website like fertilityfriend.com, which will talk you through how to do it, and their basic service is free, so you can keep track online. I did the ovulation tests as well but found by the time I got a positive it was probably too late to do the deed as you really want to have some swimmers in there ready when you ovulate. I started temping every month when my period ended and ended when it started up again. You do it first thing in the morning, so it's not too inconvenient. You are right that a pregnancy after a miscarriage will never be carefree, there is a lot of worry and anxiety. But time helps, and as the weeks go by and you see a heartbeat, feel a wiggle, that anxiety will decrease and you will find the joy in it again. Good Luck, and hope to see you here with a positive test soon.
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was also uncertain about charting BBT. It's a lot easier than you think. Fertilityfreind.com makes it so easy and has a course to teach you everything. I got my thermometer at Walgreen's. I felt a lot more in control and more confidence in my cycles with charting. You typically chart your cervical fluid along with your temp. The cervical fluid is good for telling you that ovulation is coming and the temping will tell you that you've ovulated after it's already passed.
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    I became pregnant after my miscarriage without having a period. I realized that I didn't have my period and thought it had to do with the miscarriage so my Dr. sent me in for bloodwork. I came back postively pregnant! There's always sunshine after the rain.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I went on BC for 6 months after to recover, mostly emotionally. It took 6-7 months after that.
    I highly recommend the book "Taking charge of your fertility" by Toni Weschler- helps a lot with charting and teaches you other ways to be in tune with your body and fertility even if you decide not to chart.
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    =+(
    It took me 2 years after I miscarried to get pregnant again. We had been trying forever it seems. I am 5 weeks right now. Crossing fingers to make it through the next few weeks
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. We lost 2 babies this fall. We got pregnant a month after the first loss... and then we lost that baby when I was 7w4d. We then conceived our third baby before my next cycle (10 days after I started the mc) and everything seems healthy with this sticky baby (13w6d). Baby dust to you!
  • starfairy411
    starfairy411 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We lost one at 12 weeks in September 11' & I had a D&C. We found out we were pregnant again in November (were told to wait one cycle, so this was the 1st time we could have gotten pregnant). It took us 13+ months to get pregnant with the one we lost, so it was way eaiser after the loss (and everything went perfect that time).