What to do?

Options
My daughter is 14 months old, this will be the first time since she was born since I have to worry about eating right and exercising. I'm concerned I won't get a work out in as often as I should with a little one. Anyone have any suggestions for stuff I can do at home while she is napping, playing, etc, that I can do without equipment?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I toss my kids into a double stroller and go for a run.

I've tried to do tapes...the abs workout was, hm, interesting, when my three year old decided to start throwing my legs from side to side. I was pretty lucky that she didn't decide to jump on my tummy. Dance tapes last for three seconds before they want me to twirl them around the room.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have little 3lb weights that bought intending to use while watching TV during naps and after bed. And you can do squats, push ups, jumping jacks, and all sorts of little aerobic moves without equipment. I know this to be true.....I just am REALLY bad at executing any of this. Or maybe I am just REALLY good at talking myself out of it, lol!
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YouTube has all kinds of great workout videos you can check out and see what catches your eye.
  • cassig13
    cassig13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i do jillian michaels on you tube or get on the xbox kinect and do zumba
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I just got the "You Are Your Own Gym" app for my iphone. You can select an exercise program that lasts anywhere from 2 to 40 minutes, at four different experience levels and do it without any equipment in a very small area. The moves are easy to do and yet very effective.
  • kasiewest
    kasiewest Posts: 11
    Options
    I am currently using Turbo Jam DVD's - I am on day 3 and I am loving it. I have a 3 yr old who wants to join in but if they are napping you wouldnt have to worry about that. My other thing is I workout when I get home from working all day. Try a DVD, try youtube, try a bunch of different things and decide what you like best, what works best for you/schedule. There are so many inexpensive options out there and if you do decide on a beachbody workout or set of DVD works - check craigslist where you can generally obtain them much cheaper than buying new and you dont have the guilt of spending so much on the DVD

Good Luck!!
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour early and do a work-out most days of the week. On tuesdays and thursdays I go to zumba at night and my mother watches the kiddos for me I am very thankful to have my parents around helping me out!! Does she take a nap, nap time is a great time to get your work out in!! What about when she goes to be at night?

Really quick work out I love right now!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uvwCi03yE&list=PLsYPdng2R01L3h5ymbmzCwlMcK-4jUfb0&index=2
  • laf0026
    laf0026 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    At this point I am only focusing on my food because it is very hard to find time to workout with twin 21 months old boys. I do play and run around with the kids when I can. I figure as my kids get older and more independent I will be able to find the time again to workout.

I also think that just choosing one change at a time will have a higher success rate of me sticking to my weight loss goals.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I toss my kids into a double stroller and go for a run.

I have a really nice single stroller and one 24 lb. baby to push around. Why do I want to throw up after running this way?! Am I that much of a wuss?
  • lizrbach
    lizrbach Posts: 3
    Options
    I try zumba videos on YouTube! Unless its nice then I pack up my girl and go to the nearest parking structure and walk the ramps!!
  • daisyterp
    daisyterp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Google stroller workouts- there are couple different ones out there that are similar to the stroller strides classes. I like classes- I need the social pressure, but you can do more than just run w/ a stroller- you can do a mix of walking and running, lunges, skipping, etc. Also you can find spots at playgrounds, in your neighborhood where you can stop and do some simple exercises w/o equipment. That said, resistance bands aren't expensive and can really add to your work out.

If you have cable check your on-demand menu and see if there are any fitness/work-out programs available for free. We have a bunch on our menu. Most of the time I do those while my kids are awake though- sometimes they join in.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I have a really nice single stroller and one 24 lb. baby to push around. Why do I want to throw up after running this way?! Am I that much of a wuss?

You're probably going too fast :)