If a guy hardly EVER starts a conversation with you...

Options
2»

Replies

• veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Being in a gym, I'm even more cautious about engaging a conversation with a woman. I don't want a woman to feel like it's meat market territory, and will keep the conversation like it's a professional office environment. I might "friendly" flirt at most, but nothing over the top. He may just have this perspective...

Maybe he doesn't want to end up "dating at the office" sort of speak...

This makes sense. The same reason I have been afraid to completely show interest... I would not want to wreck the gym experience for either one of us.

And I do like him as a friend, he totally rocks and has offered me a lot of help with my lifting. I just don't want to annoy the poor guy. Lol
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Being in a gym, I'm even more cautious about engaging a conversation with a woman. I don't want a woman to feel like it's meat market territory, and will keep the conversation like it's a professional office environment. I might "friendly" flirt at most, but nothing over the top. He may just have this perspective...

Okay, I'm sorry for saying this and sounding like a d-bag but that is a poor excuse for both sexes.

It is not like dating at the office...you don't have to workout with each other, you just happen to work out at the same building. I see people at the gym all the time that I know from high school and want to avoid. It's easy. So easy. Gyms are big enough that if you see a woman you like and you ask her out and she says no that you can avoid her the rest of your days there. Seriously. Wear your headphones if it's awkward, look down. It's not a problem.

I would gander that the majority of women are not approached at the gym and would appreciate being approached.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Okay, I'm sorry for saying this and sounding like a d-bag but that is a poor excuse for both sexes.

It is not like dating at the office...you don't have to workout with each other, you just happen to work out at the same building. I see people at the gym all the time that I know from high school and want to avoid. It's easy. So easy. Gyms are big enough that if you see a woman you like and you ask her out and she says no that you can avoid her the rest of your days there. Seriously. Wear your headphones if it's awkward, look down. It's not a problem.

I would gander that the majority of women are not approached at the gym and would appreciate being approached.

Having read plenty of threads on MFP, it's the opposite. Majority of women at the gym do not want to be approached. I know there's always exceptions to the rule. On the lines of this, I think a singles gym would be a great business to start. Kind of how they have ones catered for certain clientele like women only gyms.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Having read plenty of threads on MFP, it's the opposite. Majority of women at the gym do not want to be approached. I know there's always exceptions to the rule. On the lines of this, I think a singles gym would be a great business to start. Kind of how they have ones catered for certain clientele like women only gyms.

I bet that kind of gym would offer very interesting classes jackdirt.gif
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options

I would totally be ok with being approached at the gym..you both know you have wanting to stay healthy in common thats a great start :) And I agree its easy enough to avoid someone if it doesn't work out.

As for the OP..I think he's just friendly..and giving a friend vibe, if its been going on for months well he's had plenty of time in person and in conversation to make a move or flirt enough to get you to make one and that doesn't see to be happening. I would guess he just thinks you're a cool gal he knows from his gym and that's about it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I would totally be ok with being approached at the gym..you both know you have wanting to stay healthy in common thats a great start :) And I agree its easy enough to avoid someone if it doesn't work out.

As for the OP..I think he's just friendly..and giving a friend vibe, if its been going on for months well he's had plenty of time in person and in conversation to make a move or flirt enough to get you to make one and that doesn't see to be happening. I would guess he just thinks you're a cool gal he knows from his gym and that's about it.

It is all in the way you approach someone at the gym and timing. If a girl is in mid-squat or working the ad-abductor it might be a little awkward for a guy to come up and talks to a girl but if a girl is entering or exiting the gym or if they are doing cardio where they would be able to talk would be acceptable. Also do not do the creepy stare thing. Some eye contact is good but then it gets creepy.

For the OP all my relationship not just guy/girl ones have give and take. Usually both people are starting conversations not just one of them.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Why think, when it's easier just to ask him.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

I'm beginning to think this is the only way to go if you like a guy a lot and aren't sure if he likes you back. Just grow a pair, say what you need to say, and let the chips fall. I would go so far as to say if you aren't willing to do that, you probably don't like him enough.

I still believe, in general, that relationships develop more naturally when the man is the one "leading" and the woman, if she's interested, mirrors his actions (if he calls, you respond; if he asks you out, you go unless you have a very good reason not to ... no games, no playing hard to get). But as I get older, I realize the dynamic changes a bit. I'm 30, and I'll just say it ... I'm an attractive, successful woman. Random men do not know (and most would not assume) that I am single or interested, so why have I been expecting them to walk up to me and ask me out like they can read my mind? It's stupid. I know that now.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

That's my tactic. I don't do subtle.
    "Hey, I like you. We should talk and see if sex might be in our future."
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

The reason I think this is funny is because I don't know any single men who wouldn't go for that. In fact, after you've said those two sentences, probably the only words they heard were "you," "we," and "sex."
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

The reason I think this is funny is because I don't know any single men who wouldn't go for that. In fact, after you've said those two sentences, probably the only words they heard were "you," "we," and "sex."

I see what I want and I go get it :wink: :laugh:
  • veggiehottie
    Options

It's the gemini in you. Ha ha ha. :laugh:

You girls are so brave. One day I will grow some cajones! Ha!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

It doesn't mean I don't get nervous as hell and try to tell myself to stop being such a creep over and over again before I blurt it out hahaha!
  • veggiehottie
    Options

It doesn't mean I don't get nervous as hell and try to tell myself to stop being such a creep over and over again before I blurt it out hahaha!

LOL
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Yeah, sure... unfortunately, judging from another couple of threads we had on this, the guy in this made-up scenario is probably no longer thinking of said female as "take home to Momma relationship material"
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Yeah, sure... unfortunately, judging from another couple of threads we had on this, the guy in this made-up scenario is probably no longer thinking of said female as "take home to Momma relationship material"

The right guy for me wouldn't care :smooched: