Does it ever annoy you when

Options
RxVirus
RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
Like people ask you WHY you're vegan or can't comprehend why you chose to be vegan? Like is it just me or does everyone look at you like your crazy? :T My boyfriend still makes fun of me for it, but luckily my sister is a vegetarian and was very proud of me for choosing this route. I don't know, does it ever start getting old? Or do you guys not have this sort of problem, lol.

Replies

• tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm sure every single person on this board has heard "But I could never give up cheese!" or "BUT HOW DO YOU GET PROTEIN?" or "But you can't eat peanut butter because it has butter in it!" and 1000 other stupid comments/questions about veganism. Three years in and I am still sometimes annoyed by it, but I can mostly ignore it because I know I am not dying of a protein/vitamin deficiency and I am happy with my lifestyle. I think the trick is to make vegan friends for support (or at least vegetarian friends who enjoy sometimes eating vegan food). If you can't find them in your town, make 'em on the internet! :D So it's great that your sister is vegetarian, because that's at least one person in your life who understands.
  • RxVirus
    RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. Like some people in my class that talk to me or at work find it interesting but I don't think they'd ever consider going vegan. I just started this year and the bf is all like "you're going to give this up right?" and I'm like WOW THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT :Y (sarcastically of course)
    I'm so weird and anti social though no one wants to hang out with me or chat //sob
    Like I tried doing this meet up things. I dont know if you have heard of the site, but I'm too scared to go :Y
  • tomatini
    Options
    Yep, I know of Meetup. I agree that it can be totally awkward to go someplace with the intention of meeting a group of total strangers, but sometimes it works! I've made friends that way. Hopefully some of the vegans at your local veggie meetup are nice. :)

If it makes you feel better, when I first told my boyfriend I had gone from vegetarian to vegan he was like "WAHHHH I DON'T EAT FAKE FOOD!!" Now after living with me for two years he eats what I eat 95% of the time. :P
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm sure every single person on this board has heard ... or "But you can't eat peanut butter because it has butter in it!" and 1000 other stupid comments/questions about veganism.

NEVER heard that one; I am laughing out loud! definitely, that one takes the (vegan) cake!

someone asked me how i justify eating yeast (in breads, etc) since yeast are alive. it's like: Yeah, so are al microorganisms...they even live on our skin and in our poop, and we have no way of avoiding them.

since when do people worry about "cruelty to yeast"? :)
  • tomatini
    Options
    Haha, yes, it's true. Or arguing with a friend of mine from college about whether or not the "cocoa butter" in my dark chocolate bar contained actual butter... he was adamant that it did!

SAVE THE YEAST!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is annoying but I really do think that most people really are interested and will sometimes use jokes as a mask to hide their interest as a lot of people do feel uncomfortable about the cruelty that their food choices are creating. Happy to give as good as I get although I too have never heard about peanut butter or the poor little yeasties.
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yes it drives me crazy, I don't ask other people what they eat I don't care if they are a health nut or eat nothing but cheese burgers.

But today I had the most crazy annoying don't ever say that to a vegan comment in response to finding out I'm vegan for animal rights, they gave me a crazy insulting look and then told me they HATE animals. WTF??? Yep even pets. I told her well I'm not a people person, that shut her up :laugh: