1 1/2 weeks out

Options
Hi everyone I was just sleeved on March 1st. Overall things have gone very smoothly for me other than the fact I had a really bad headache in the hospital and they had to keep me for a few days. I have some pain and got sick twice but I think that was because I drank to fast taking my medication. I am so scared I am going to eat to much or drink to much that it makes me not want to eat or drink anything. I am not scared its going to make me sick I am scared I will over eat and I do not want to do that. I want this to work, I need this to work and I am so scared I am going to mess it up somehow.

My Dr. allows us to eat mushy foods 3 days after surgery. I am able to eat a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with no problem. The other day I had one egg and 1.4 cup of blended canned peaches. In my head I felt like it was to much food on my plate so I did not eat all of the peaches. Its funny because I saw a nutritionist who prepared me for this for 6 months and I thought I was ready to go but when I got home its like I forgot everything and I am worried I will eat to much or do something wrong.

Replies

• libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I am 3 months out! My nutritionist said to stop eating when feel full, DO NOT get to the point of pain, that is when the sleeve is stretching. Just take your time eating, when you feel full then stop... Good luck, feel free to friend me..
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had VGS surgery on 6/11/12. At 1 1/2 weeks out I was still on liquids, didn't start soft protein foods till 2 weeks out and then was only able to eat 1/4 cup at the most. At 9 months out I can eat around 1/2 cup of food and about anything at this point.
    Good luck!
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised that the Dr. let you eat softies this soon after surgery. It was six weeks before I was allowed anything more than purees. I am glad that happened as it allowed the sleeve to fully heal. I don't think that you have to worry much about eating the wrong thing or over eating. That said, you should make sure you are staying hydrated. This is the most important thing you can do this soon after surgery. I wouldn't even worry about food at this stage. The second thing is getting your protein in. Since you are allowed soft food this can be a lot of things like cottage cheese, protein shakes etc. I might hold off of the fruit for a while though as this a mostly a sugary carb and can hold up your weight loss. Expect to stall out around week 3 post op. This is normal and you body is adjusting to the decrease in caloric intake. Another thing is just relax. The sleeve is tool, but it isn't magically going to make the weight fall off of you. You have to have a good sound nutritional plan that includes eating a healthy balance of both protein and carbs along with a good plan for exercise. Good luck and I hope that all goes well for you.
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I couldn't eat a 1/2 of anything liquid in one sitting let alone anything remotely solid for the first 3 weeks.

I suggest sticking with your liquids for at least 3 weeks post op, anything that gets caught in the stitch line your going to have a bad time. Keep drinking fluids, powerade zero really helped out for me. Get that liquid protein and don't blend it with anything, or basic soups and broths.

Eating semi solids that early is crazy.

Good luck.
  • LinzWalker30
    Options
    I thought eating mushy solids was crazy also only because I hear most people say that didn't for 3 weeks to a month. I looked into it though and it seems not all doctors agree on that and I guess mine is one of them. He lets you eat things like cottage cheese, mushed up eggs and mashed potatoes. I do not have a problem eating these things as long as I take my time and really eating has allowed me to get my protein in. I have a hard time drinking but only because I get sick of it and I feel like that is all I do. I seem to drink about 35 to 40 oz a day. I know I need to up that but I am working on it. I have a really good doctor so I do trust him I just do not want to over eat but I guess I am doing something right since I have lost 22 pounds already. I am not looking forward to the scale stalling at week three :). I kind of like watching it drop some each day.
  • andrea_cantrell
    Options
    I had my sleeve surgery on January 14, 2013 and I was not aloud anything but liquids for 2 weeks also.. I no some dr's are different and in later stages I admit I did go to the next stage a little sooner by a few days or so at a time.. however, I, like the others, cant eat even as much as my 15 month old baby.. at the very most 1/2 a cup at a time.. I cant even eat a whole scrambled egg with cheese. But that said I have now lost 61 pounds since my surgery date and it has been 8.5 weeks.. the dr said I am loosing VERY fast compared to most but I am very happy with that. The only thing I have that I no I really shouldn't is I have a sweet tea once a day.. I told the dr and they said that the reason they don't want you having a lot of sugar is because in some people it causes diariah which can lead to dehydration but so far I haven't had that problem.. they said they would prefer me not have it because like the other guy stated sugar cant stunt weight loss but as long as I didn't have the diariah problem then it would actually hurt me.. I was just having a really hard time not drinking anything but water.. I had tried all the flavoring for the waters and alllll kinds of other things and nothing would sooth the craving so that is my only out.. so to fit the need I have one glass a day and it works for me.. but as far as the amount that your eating just eat till you feel full but not overstuffed.. there are a lot of dangers of busting your stomach and other things expecially at the stage you are right now.. anytime you need to chat or need anything just hit me up .. feel free to add me as a friend .. I always love to hear from other sleevers!!! Good Luck!!!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was also surprised to read you were on solids (even mushy ones) so soon! At two weeks I was told I could just begin adding very, very liquidy foods like very thin soups and cream of wheat. I missed chewing and couldn't wait to eat with utensils again, so by the third week I was adding back slightly bigger soft things - very moist chicken, eggs, etc. Chew, chew, chew! No problems, and glad I gave my tummy time to heal. At almost 6 weeks post-op, I'd say I'm back to a fairly regular diet, although I still avoid very fibrous things like beef. Just no appetite for it.

As far as damaging your stomache via stretching it... I think you've had excellent advice on here so far. Eat slow, chew thoroughly, and stop BEFORE you think you've reached your limit. For me at least, that feeling of fullness came a few minutes AFTER eating... I know to pretty much stop at 4 oz or so. You'll learn your limits. As my doc says, don't fight the sleeve 'cuz the sleeve always wins!

There are some GREAT people on here who have lots of pointers and tips. Best of luck with your journey and please feel free to friend me as well. We can all learn from each other!
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's really important that you listen to your body, eat slowly and chew thoroughly. That will help with you feeling full. I was on liquids for 2 1/2 weeks after surgery, but I did sometimes have some soupy mashed potatoes or cream of wheat and it didn't bother my sleeve. Sometimes I also chewed things and spit them out just to chew on something....you don't realize how much you miss that! Good luck to you!
  • Corbyfit
    Corbyfit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat out of 3 oz. shot glass and make sure that it takes me 20 minutes to eat at anyone time. I also eat with baby utensils to keep the bites really small. That does help. Yep, it feels like you are drinking all the time but that will eventually become habit. I just had my surgery on March 15. No mushies for me until next week. But I do have cream of wheat thinned out with my vanilla protein shake.
  • MyFatPublicSecrets
    MyFatPublicSecrets Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am also a sweet tea lover.... I have found that I actually like water with the sweet tea mio drops. Very similar taste. Just an idea worth trying. ;)