Motivation??

Options
How do you get motivated to start working out? Eating right? Staying on track? What are you doing to hold yourself accountable?

Replies

• csgrinnan
    csgrinnan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Getting motivated is very difficult. We live in a world of instant gratification and I can speak from experience I have tried many "diets" and failed because I haven't gotten the "instant results" and then quit but I have learned that anything worth having takes hard work and dedication and I am sick and tired of being overweight, lazy and basically unhappy with the way I look so I just keep telling myself that this is something I can do and it's a positive change for the rest of my life for a long healthy life and not to mention being able to get back into all those clothes in the back of the closet :)
  • a_lonewolf
    Options
    I try to act whenever I'm feeling motivated to establish habits that hopefully will become ingrained so that I just do them when I'm not feeling the motivation. I think the more you just make yourself do something the easier it becomes. I like this quote I found on a fitness website:

"Habit is a cable; we weave a thread of it each day and at last we cannot break it."

Also,

"The hardest step in any run is the first step out the door."

I guess the bottom line is that motivation will come and go, but whatever you've established as a habit will stick. Of course, it works both ways. So if I make it a habit to constantly skip my exercises because I'm stressed, tired, what-have-you...then that becomes my M.O. SO...make it a habit to do just FIVE minutes of exercise each day even on the days where you might say, it's not worth it, I don't feel like it, it won't make a difference, etc. Just commit to doing a measly five minutes. Chances are that once you're dressed and you do that five, that you'll probably continue for at least 20 or 30. That can make all the difference.

The same could be said for your diet. Say you wake up feeling particularly stressed or depressed one day and you just want to pig out all day. I would deal with that by telling myself...I'm going to make a super healthy breakfast and a salad for lunch, then I'll get whatever I want for dinner. If you stick to that all day, by the time dinner rolls around and you've had a day of healthy eating...you'll be less likely to want to blow out on a giant unhealthy meal. And I would say...remove temptations from around the house. Tell people you're dieting and you don't want them to offer you junk food. The more people that know you're trying to stick to a healthy eating plan, the more pressure you'll feel not to eat badly in front of them. That helps with accountability.

Also, I think having a group like this will help too.
  • PotScrubber
    PotScrubber Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This year I just made up my mind that I was going to do it. Period. I AM NOT living, looking and feeling this way any more. :grumble:

I've had very few issues staying within my calorie range, been totally on plan for 24 straight days now and really only missed a few before that since I started tracking in January (on another site at first.) Exercise, it's a little tougher to find the motivation but I've got to do it...so I do. The bad thing is I'll be going back to work in a week or so and am going to have to figure out a whole new exercise routine. :ohwell:

As for accountability, I'm not doing this for any one but myself. Not my husband, not my family, nothing and no one. I'm doing it for me and since I believe in personal responsibility that makes me accountable to myself. I don't "deserve" much of anything, especially being fit and healthy. I need to work for it just like everything else I've ever wanted. :wink:
  • karenprotokowicz
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Well I just finished my workout at the hotel gym and I feel great. 35 mins on the treadmill and I burned about 250 calories. For me, this is huge. I've never worked out at a hotel before and feel proud of myself for doing it. Breakfast at Denny's and I ordered the fit fare meal. Even though I'm on vacation I'm doing the best I can to stick to plan. I am holding myself accountable to not going off plan simply because I'm away. Thanks for the continued posts. Your success and dedication is indeed helping me with mine. Have a a great day!!!!!
  • a_lonewolf
    Options
    Way to go, Karen! How awesome is that. That's very commendable and worthy of praise.
  • csgrinnan
    csgrinnan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! I can tell you that while I have not been perfect with my calories or consistant workouts I do feel better on the inside. I know that if I keep doing what I am doing it will pay off and it won't be a quick overnight drastic change but a healthy, life changing one which is what I need.

I am sick and tired of not being able to fit into the clothes in my closet much less fit into any cute things I see out and about so this is a change I'm making in my life for me and me alone !!!!!

So let's do it !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • a_lonewolf
    Options
    Good for you, C! I was having a hard time in the first two weeks wishing the scale would move more, but now that I'm in week 3 of my lifestyle change (not diet!)...everything just seems much easier. I'm also not as focused on the scale as I was because I'm literally using an alligator clip to keep my pants up today. Hooray for NSVs (non-scale victories)!

What we're all undertaking is not to be perfect, but to make better choices consistently. Way to go everyone this week on their weight loss and healthy habits!