Bloating!

Options
ok so I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease or anything but my dr thought trying out a gluten free diet would be bennifial for my excema, ibs, fatigue, depression and other possible gluten related issues. I just started on Sunday and I'm not too sure what's going on, I feel more bloated and feel like i am putting on weight, I have heard that there is a withdrawl stage but not sure if I should tough it out and see what happens etc. I don't see how I can be gaining weight in less than a week when I have been staying within my calories, hoping it's just bloating but feeling really grose, any help/support from other people, what happened to you during your conversion? thanks in advance

Replies

• cleaneatingkaren
    Options
    What types of foods have you been eating since going off the gluten? Any "gluten free" products? That might cause a problem...
    I would also suggest taking a pro-biotic in the initial stages.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do the research to identify gluten....there are literally hundreds of "names" for different wheat and gluten products on labels. Perhaps you have consumed something that did indeed have gluten, I had 4 gummy candies once after reading the package....and within 15 minutes the bloating started.

Try to eat at home as much as possible the next while. Try to eat "clean" healthy items (and by clean I mean not processed). Your digestive system is probably in need of time to heal itself and easy to digest items will help that process along.

I hope you feel better soon! I'm gluten intolerant and it's a tough adjustment but worth it. Good luck....keep asking questions if anything comes up, those of us who have been through it or know what is safe or not may be of help!

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    THANKS! DEFFINATLEY NO TAKE OUT OR RESTERAUNTS FOR THIS GAL LOL WE DO A LOT OF SCRATCH COOKING ANYWAYS SO IT'S NOT TOO BAD, NOT SURE WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH ME, I HAVE NOT BEEN EATING VERRY MUCH PROCESSED FOOD AT ALL, POSSIBLE GLUTEN CROSS CONTAMINTATION, I GUESS IT'S PRETTY MUCH A WAIT AND SEE GAME. I HOPE THIS HELPS THOUGH!
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you usually cook gluten-containing meals in your kitchen then you could be cross contaminating yourself. I realize that having a separate GF kitchen with utensils, etc isn't feasible for most people, but consider doing a major purge and clean your kitchen, cabinets, and fridge/freezer. The adopt a new organizational style that will ensure that gluten and gluten free don't cross.

For example: put your gluten free items (baking materials, etc) on the top shelf of your cabinets in sealed containers. Keep the gluten stuff on the lower shelf. This will ensure that crumbs and such don't fall onto your gluten free stuff. In your fridge keep gf stuff on the top shelf, gf stuff on the bottom. This will ensure no drips, etc end up in your food.

Check your meat. Some meat (like chicken) is injected with a solution to increase the weight of the meat. Sometimes this solution contains gluten. Make sure the meat says GLUTEN FREE or is grass fed/pasture raised. "Natural flavorings" is a big indicator of the presence of gluten in meat. Try and stick with meat that says Ingredients: meat.