Always thinking about food

Options
I assume this is part of the addiction but I ALWAYS think about food! Unless I am doing something that has got my full attention and even then it can sneak into my head but I swear I think about food 24/7. Is anyone else like this? What do you do to overcome? Everyone tells me get a hobby. Well I don't have money, we are saving right now for a cruise for next year so my hubby literally has us on a no spending freeze for the next year. Its tough but it will be worth it.. but anyway it makes me limited to going out and buying all kinds o craft stuff or books or whatever to start a new hobby.. but what can I do?? Theres got to be something... want to know something funny though.. my one friends said "why don't you start baking?' I said you have got to be effin' kidding me! LMAO!! I thought that was funny! Anyway I would appreciate any advice! Right now I just spend way too much time online and sometimes it ends up making my depression worse and thats not a good thing

Replies

• lovedtorun
    Options
    You are not alone. I think about food all the time. I am slowly overcomung it and i think its because i changed my view. Instead of thinking and trying to lose weight i think and focus on exercize. Try that. As far as hobbies go try writing/journaling or photography of things around you. Is there an organization you could volunteer for? Oh or yoga/meditation! You can do this!!
  • gollyd
    Options
    I am also always thinking about food and it seems that more times than not, I give into my cravings. Its not even a craving, its just that I want to eat. When I know I have 100 extra calories to eat, I will sit and think whats in my kitchen to eat that will fit into the calorie count.....I do this even if I'm not hungry. And if I know I'm going out to eat....I'll just decide to give up for the day just so I can eat. Then once I overeat I feel terrible. It consumes me every minute of every day. During my work day I constantly think about how long until I get to eat again. Its so frustrating. I just don't know what to do about it.
  • sarajaxon
    sarajaxon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too ladies. Food thoughts are constant and often lead to food seeking for me. I have been working with a food addiction therapist since Feb. Between that AND exercise, it is getting better, but the minute I decrease the exercise, it is back back back! In the past, I have actually had food obsessions, meaning I could not stop thinking about a certain food, and I found those to be much worse than the general food thoughts. We're in this together.
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    I just had a big setback. I haven't been logging my food for weeks now. I am really craving sugar lately. I gained back the 5 lbs I had lost and I'm feeling pretty hopelss. I just can't seem to stay away from sugar. I think about food all the time too. I don't know why I can make a commitment and stick to it in any area of my life except food. I'm seriously thinking about going back to my food addiction program. The "gift of desperation" is creeping back into my life.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I obsess on food as well. The higher the stress the more the food stays in my head.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    What I eat determines how much I think about food and in what way. Before eliminating grains, legumes, sugars etc I was literally killing myself with food. I had no control whatsoever and no matter how much I ate I could never feel full or satisfied.

So, now that I eat paleo/primal/low carb with strong emphasis on unprocessed foods, I no longer over-eat or struggle with hunger and cravings (but just one slip and I'm right back to it). However, I still do think about food a lot but only as it pertains to exploring new recipes and ingredients.
  • starrnj
    starrnj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think about food too much..sometimes I feel like I have nothing to look forward to but dessert or my next meal....
    I feel like I am obsessed with food and eating.
  • kwaldr0p
    kwaldr0p Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Im so glad I saw this group!

I also find my self constantly thinking about food.
  • BeautifulCRYS
    Options
    Wow....I share the same feeling with food. My life was surrounded by food. When you get a chance I want any one of you guys to check out this website. This program has helped me out greatly. www.foodaddicts.org.
  • laurieleboeuf1
    Options
    Just joined the group. I just started my diet a week ago and have not been able to stop thinking about food since. It's more like obsessing, as some of you mentioned. I haven't broken my diet (I don't want to say 'yet'), but this is literally the HARDEST thing I've ever done willingly in my life. I had a horrible, massive, screaming meltdown earlier today because of the mental exhaustion it's taking just to not give in to my thoughts. I feel as if I'm losing control, but I don't want to, so it's making me crazy. :sad: I don't know anyone who struggles with this like I do, so having anyone who could support me would be nice. Feel free to add me as a friend; I'd really like to get to know someone who knows what this feels like. :smile:
  • howardandmary98
    howardandmary98 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! And the moment I realized I was a food addict the addiction got worse!!!
  • Geeznie713
    Options
    Food is my drug. I know I am supressing some deep emotion and now that my stress level is high I can't seem to stop myself from eating or thinking about what I am going to eat.
  • xMadeInChinax
    xMadeInChinax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!!
    My entire life revolved around food. I would spend hours and hours doing research on food and diet, food was the highlight of my day and I all ever wanted to do was sit in front of the TV with FOOD.
    I've been reading a couple books to get over this; still working on it.
    Do some research on Binge Eating Disorder, its a newer unheard of eating disorder and this is one of the traits. If you are ALWAYS thinking about food; you might have an eating disorder. Food should not be the center of your life, because it is so much more fun when you actually go out there and live!!~ I've been battling EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) for 2 years now so you aren't alone.~

Whats helped me so far is setting small goals each week, and rewarding myself with something small like a pair of shoes or a cute shirt or something~~ ^^ (Not rewarding with food!)