any vbac mommies?

Options
rockerbabyy
rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
I'm curently 37 weeks with my 3rd child, and my previous 2 were c-sections. the first was because i had pre-eclampsia - they induced me but after 36 hours of active labor and only dilating to a 4, they decided a c-section was my best option. the 2nd was because my pregnancies were so close together (#2 was born 11 months after #1). It's been 6 years since the 2nd c-section, and my previous OB said i was a great candidate for vbac as long as i found another dr willing to do it. (we moved and i didnt feel like driving an hour to her office for prenatal care etc)
I have found a Dr. that is willing to allow me to try a VBA2C, and i really like her. However she's not willing to let me go past 41 weeks, and not willing to induce labor. after 41 weeks my only option will be another c-section which i realllllly dont want! i do have velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord that has been monitored via ultrasound every month and it hasnt caused any problems, and the baby is growing well. at the last ultrasound on feb 19th, they said she weighed about 5 lbs, so not too tiny to worry. i also dont think she'll get too big to deliver naturally, even if i were allowed to go until 42+ weeks.
Has anyone gone longer than 41 weeks and still had a successful vbac? I'm also worried that if i do end up having another c-section, that it will be almost impossible to find a dr willing to let me do a vbac for the (possible) next pregnancy. i know i still have a few weeks to go, but im stressed that i wont go into labor on my own and be stuck with an option that i dont even want :/

Replies

• kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    I'm afraid I don't have any experience with c-sections or VBAC's but I just wanted to lend my support. I've done a bit of research on induction due to being late as I'm concerned I may go past 42 weeks. Here in the UK a standard induction for being past term would only take place at 42 weeks. Everything I have read suggests there are minimal risks to going past that time but of course there are risks to induction too. I just wanted to say that you don't HAVE to do anything. You doctor can suggest a c-section at 41 weeks bu she can't make you do it. You are the boss and if you are happy to carry on longer than that is your decision. I think you are doing the right thing looking for research on woman having VBAC's past 41 weeks. Ask your doctor why she thinks it is safe at 41 weeks but not 42?
    I've decided if I go past 42 weeks I will refuse an induction. I know there will be a lot of pressure from midwives and doctors but I make the decisions! Good luck!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm inexperienced in the c-section realm as well, but I guess I need to ask two questions:

(1) Is there an increased risk of uterine rupture (or anything else bad) if they try to induce you? I know pitocin causes some strong contractions, so I don't know if that's considered too risky.

(2) Is there an increased risk with a larger baby? I think that's why a lot of OBs want to induce once you hit 40 or 41 weeks, because they believe babies past those points are bigger and thus harder to deliver vaginally.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate necessarily, just asking some questions that might help me understand why your doctor won't induce you or let you have a VBA2C after a certain point.

As for a VBA3C, I thought it was relatively rare to do one after two, so I'm not sure how often women have them after 3 c-sections. You may want to ask your doctor what her take is on that in case you end up having a 3rd c-section. I'm sure some of it depends on the amount of time that will have elapsed between your third and fourth babies plus how your healing, etc, was after your third.

I would probably have a frank discussion with your doctor about why she is basically forcing you to have a c-section if you don't go into labor on your own by 41 weeks.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    I'm inexperienced in the c-section realm as well, but I guess I need to ask two questions:

(1) Is there an increased risk of uterine rupture (or anything else bad) if they try to induce you? I know pitocin causes some strong contractions, so I don't know if that's considered too risky.

(2) Is there an increased risk with a larger baby? I think that's why a lot of OBs want to induce once you hit 40 or 41 weeks, because they believe babies past those points are bigger and thus harder to deliver vaginally.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate necessarily, just asking some questions that might help me understand why your doctor won't induce you or let you have a VBA2C after a certain point.

As for a VBA3C, I thought it was relatively rare to do one after two, so I'm not sure how often women have them after 3 c-sections. You may want to ask your doctor what her take is on that in case you end up having a 3rd c-section. I'm sure some of it depends on the amount of time that will have elapsed between your third and fourth babies plus how your healing, etc, was after your third.

I would probably have a frank discussion with your doctor about why she is basically forcing you to have a c-section if you don't go into labor on your own by 41 weeks.
    there is an increased risk of rupture with induction, but ive read many stories where it has been done with lower doses of pitocin and other methods of induction.. though with my failed induction the first pregnancy, im kind of leary of that anyway. i havent done enough research on the lower does and such to make up my mind if i want an induction at all or if i should just wait it out.
    risks are also greater with larger babies, but again ive read lots of stories about women who did VBACs with 10 lb babies! theres no way mine would get that big lol my 2nd was full term and only 6lb 15oz. i do understand the concern on both counts, but with as closely as theyve been monitoring the growth and the fact that i havent gained too much weight this time ..i just think its unnecessary to do a csection at 41 weeks.
    i do plan on talking this all out with her at my next appointment - i just thought id get some insight from others as well before i went in :)
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a hopeful VBAC candidate, I'm almost 41 weeks now!! So I should be able to let you know next week how it all went!!

I had a normal delivery with my #1, then a c section due to #2 presenting her feet ... I'm hoping for a VBAC with #3 and I am currently 40 weeks and 5 days. Midwife will allow me to go to 42 weeks, with regular monitoring of fetus, so I have a MW appointment and scan booked for next week.

I also don't want to be induced, I have read a lot about risks of uterus rupture, and I feel the risks are not that much greater than a c section anyway, and not much more than a rupture caused by induction drugs in a birth without previous c section, and we all know how rare they are. I haven't found any convincing statistical studies about size of baby and VBAC success.

My midwife has suggested trying balloon induction at 42 weeks. I have read that it can be very painful, but her opinion is that it is likely to be more successful than an induction with a lower dose of drugs, or more successful if combined with a lower dose of drugs. I have asked if I can go a bit over 42 weeks (because my #2 has her first day at school on my 42 weeks date!), and she has said as long a fetal monitoring shows that baby is OK that should be fine, but she did also say she'd have to get go ahead from OB, apparently that would place me as a double risk (post dates and VBAC) which some OBs will not support.

There are some good web stories about successful VBACs beyond the 42 week mark. I read a few yesterday (I'll look them up!) as I'm concerned about being forced into an induction, unlike yourself I've never experienced induction, but I really do like the idea of baby chooses when to be born rather than being evicted!
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections and wanted this time to be a vbac, but since 1)this is probably going to be my last pregnancy and 2)my last one was twins and my uterus got verrrry stretched/thinned out because of it, my dr and his partners were not comfortable letting me try for one. My 1st c-section was exactly your story, except I didn't make it past 3 cm.

My sister is also an ob/gyn and she had these additional things to say when I talked to her about a vba2c:

-There is a higher risk of uterine rupture with drugs/an induction, though if you're closely monitored, you can get into surgery to take the baby very quickly if something goes wrong. A successful vbac is safer than a c-section, but a scheduled c-section is safer than a failed vbac/emergency c-section.
    -Babies are considered full-term/best time for delivery between weeks 38-41. After 41-42 weeks, it's not that the baby will continue to grow too big that's a concern; the reality is that the baby actually starts to shrink and worsen/could potentially die from being in there too long. I think that's primarily why your dr would go ahead with the c-section after 41 weeks.
    -Since your (and my) first c-section was due to non-progressing labor, there's a possibility you'll end up needing another c-section anyway. Your body hasn't gone all the way through labor so if you get to have a vbac, expect it to be like most women's first labor experience: very long, and you'll get minimal drugs for the pain due to the increased risk of using them.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying a vbac; I'm just letting you know what I've been told by my sister and my dr. I'd love to have a vbac for this child, but the risks (esp after having twins) aren't worth it to me. I hope your baby just decides to come on his/her own! Good luck with the vbac!
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    thanks so much for the info jess!
    im trying to stress about it less, and just go with the flow of things. everything happens for a reason and if im meant to have a vbac this time, itll happen :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    Full term is between 37-42 weeks, not 41. The risks of stillbirth increase after 42 weeks, but it very minimal.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I got my VBAC!

I have to say it has killed off a few demons I had about my 'ability' to give birth, sad, but true!

I was 41 weeks, waters broke and contractions slowly established, we went to hospital when contractions lasted 1 min, arrived at 9.50pm and was very disappointed to be only 2cm dilated, but things progressed quickly from there and he was born 90 mins later at 11.17pm, other than being VERY quick, labour was pretty straightforward.

Hope you do get your VBAC rockerbaby, don't be forced into induction, Things will happen when they're supposed to.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    I got my VBAC!

I have to say it has killed off a few demons I had about my 'ability' to give birth, sad, but true!

I was 41 weeks, waters broke and contractions slowly established, we went to hospital when contractions lasted 1 min, arrived at 9.50pm and was very disappointed to be only 2cm dilated, but things progressed quickly from there and he was born 90 mins later at 11.17pm, other than being VERY quick, labour was pretty straightforward.

Hope you do get your VBAC rockerbaby, don't be forced into induction, Things will happen when they're supposed to.
    so happy for you! glad all went well, too. hes so cute :D
    ive been having some light period-type cramping today, and wondering if im not getting close.. havent had any contractions that i can tell though, so we'll see!
  • Fiorefleur
    Fiorefleur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My doula had two vbac's and both were nearly 10 lbs, her c-section baby was smaller than her vbac's . It's totally possible to do it !! I know I'm aiming for a vbac myself, the 1% chance of anything happening doesn't scare me. :-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections and my doctor is willing to let me try a vbac under very controlled situations. Induction will not be an option, and I wouldn't want it anyway. There are increased risks after 2 c-sections. If your doctor says that she doesn't want you to go past 41 weeks, why not ask what concerns she has about it? I will have a c-section scheduled at the end of my 41st week in the event that the baby doesn't come earlier than that. Size of the baby is generally a concern for a vbac, especially after 2 c-sections.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I got my VBAC!

Yaaaaaaaaay! Congratulations!
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    I got my vbac :D

went in at 530am on wednesday morning (40w5d) due to close contractions and my water breaking. they ended up giving me an epidural because my blood pressure was high and they wanted it there just in case i ended up needing a csection... i was only dilated to 2 and about 75% effaced.
    after a bit they started a pitocin drip, which kind of surprised me, but i went with it. around noon i was at 5cm and 80%. by 8pm i was the same :/ the dr (not mine) started talking csection because the risk of infection and he honestly didnt believe i was going to progress any more. i did end up having an infection (low fever, etc) so they started an antibiotic drip and i told the dr i wanted to try for a couple more hours and see how i do. he agreed...
    i changed positions a few times, mostly being more upright and when he came back to check on me two hours later i was at 7cm, 85%. said he would give me two more hours but that was it. i was getting more and more uncomfortable and was so glad to see him come back at 1am lol he was surprised as hell that i was fully dilated and ready to go! got me all prepped and explained how he wanted me to push, and with the next contraction i pushed her out! i was so surprised it only took one lol she was born at 1:18am
    because i had that infection, they had to take her to the nursery and get an IV in for her antibiotics and such. from that point on it was a long, frustrating time. between trying to get her to nurse, and hubby having to go home to deal with kids and stuff on the home front i was not getting much rest and last night i was bawling my eyes out every time she needed to eat. she hadnt peed since birth and the antibiotics she was on could cause kidney damage so they were really stressing that fact to me. they took her to the nursery for the night and just used formula while i got some rest, and the next morning she peed a full ounce! in the end it has all worked out - i truly believe that if i hadnt had the epidural, my labor would have been a LOT shorter - but it is what it is and shes finally here:D
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm so pleased to hear you got your VBAC. Sounds like you managed the situation really well. Take care of yourself and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Love hearing all these lovely VBAC stories!! I am 12 weeks now and going for a non medicated hospital VBAC in October. I have a doula and a very VBAC friendly doc and hospital, so I am hoping for the best.

I am a researcher by nature and also very obsessive, so I now know every single statistic backwards and forwards for VBAC vs planned C Section. Even if the recovery isn't any better, I feel more comfortable with the small risks of VBAC over another section any day. I have a couple of large ruptured disks in my low back and that is why I am going unmedicated. Fingers crossed!!