Metformin Dosage

Options
Hello Ladies! I am currently on 1000mg daily of Metformin XR...I have "heard" that taking 1500mg will help more with weight loss? My current endocrinologist is at a loss for medications or ideas to help me lose weight, so I was hoping someone on here had a success story to share!! I have already taken Vicotza shot with NO success. :( Any info would be great! Thanks!

P.S. I have had PCOS for 9 years, conintue to gain weight OR just not be able to even lose a pound when doing everything right to lose weight. I want to have a baby next year and was hoping to lose some weight to make it (maybe) easier to get pregnant!

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1500 mg of Metformin XR since August and have lost about 26 lbs total. The first 10-15 pounds came off relatively easy but every pound after that has been earned in the gym and a low carb diet. Good luck!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am on 1500mg of Metformin right now. I have found that by itself it just helps me feel better in general. More energy, fewer cravings and such. I didn't lose weight on it until I started counting carbs. I try to stay under 100 carbs a day and those should be whole grain and/or non processed carbs. I lost about 20 lbs in a month when I was sticking to it before I got married in January. During the last 2 months since then I have fallen off the wagon so to speak and most of that came back. I have been back on the diet for the last week and I am down 3 lbs already. I hope that helps some!
  • barbied123
    barbied123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was on 2000 and the only reason why I lost weight was because the Met killed my appetite and made my stomach SO upset. It was baaaaaaad.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First I can't believe your endocrinologist doesn't know the ideal dosage for you. My advice there would be to change doctors!!

I'm on 1500mg daily (not the XR version though). I've lost 11lbs in about a year, but before that was unable to lose weight at all. I have upped my exercise and watched my calorie and carb intake though. I am contemplating going up to 2000mg and seeing how that goes.

I'm quite lucky in that it doesn't upset my stomach as much as it does for some people, but I am always careful to take it with food - and not with processed carbs as this makes it worse. Hope that helps!
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I agree with Robyn. Sounds like you need a second doctor's opinion.

I've been on 2000mg daily (not the XR version) for about 10 yrs but until I drastically changes my diet (low carb/high protein) and began exercising regularly (4-5 days/ week) I didn't lose any weight.

I was able to get pregnant with my first child with the help of a fertility doctor but I hadn't lost any weight beforehand which made for a very difficult pregnancy including several months of bedrest and a lot of medication. I changed everything after I had my son and after about a year I lost over 70lbs and wouldn't you know it, I got pregnant with child #2 w/o the help of a fertility doctor. I freaked out at first and started to worry that I would go back to that dark place I was before I made all of these changes but I was wrong. I continued to eat right and exercise (even though it was slow going towards the end of the pregnancy) and I never had any of the complications that I had the first pregnancy.

It's been 10 months since my daughter was born and I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I feel great. I still have a few more lbs to lose and some fitness goals to attain but I know I can do this. PCOS is a work in progress and I have learned that you can overcome it.
  • sher71481
    sher71481 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have been on 2000 mg of metformin XR for years now! I don't know if it is just that I am so used to it or not but I don't feel any different on it. I have lost 23 lbs since Jan 6th but that is only because I am not exercising and counting calories. I do not have any problems with stomach upset and actually have a hard time even going to the bathroom. I wonder if it's even working for me?!