Do people say you are too thin now?

Options
I've been getting this recently. I have lost over 100 pounds and I can look at my old driver's license and see the difference but my BMI is just in the normal range. I can see I've lost a lot of weight in my face which is probably what people are reacting to. But I'm not interested in putting anything back on. Want to at least hold here but another couple of pounds wouldn't kill me. Understand the concern but it is getting a little old.

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    No, I don't get that - but I still have a good ways to go. I'd say that if you are in the healthy range and your Dr. Is ok with it, then they should stuff it...
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I get that alot. I too lost over 100lbs and most people say I look good altough others say I've lost too much weight. The people that say I've lost too much have never seen me as a thin person and I think it's a shock from what I used to look like.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends say they think I've lost too much weight, but I think they are just jealous because they haven't put forth the effort to lose weight. If you're happy with the way you look, that's what really matters. And I am happy with where I am right now. I think maintaining is the hardest part.
  • yayasma
    yayasma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get this quite often from coworkers. Some are "concerned" and don't want me to lose any more weight. I'm in the healthy range for BMI and could actually lose 10 more pounds and still be in the healthy zone. It is very frustrating. I haven't snapped on anyone, yet. I calmly explain to them that I'm eating healthy and working out to have a better longer life and I thank them for their concern. :ohwell:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I hear it weekly - even though I still have a lot left to lose. I think their perceptions are skewed - I'm still in the overweight range according to BMI and my body fat is just now in the "normal" range, but everyone around me is obese, so I look very small compared to them. If they were exposed to more healthy weight ranges on a daily basis, I think they would understand my desire to lose more weight/lower my body fat.
  • shelleyfey
    shelleyfey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I only lost 24 pounds, but slimmed down from a 16 to a 6, and people would tell me I was too skinny, but according to my frame size and height, I am at the high end of the chart. My BMI is good, my body fat is low and great. Giving up dairy and foods that make you inflamed makes a huge difference!

Most (99%) of my friends are obese or overweight and just don't understand how what you eat affects your body...they are all hung up on artificial sweeteners and think that drinking diet pop is good for them. Oh, if they only knew the truth......and they pile on the food, carbs and fat....makes me sick to eat around them sometimes. They obviously don't care enough about their health to take the initiative and research and plan and make a change. It all comes down to priorities.

I just ignore their comments, after 2 years I still have one friend that is mad at me for loosing weight. Some friend huh? You don't owe anyone an "excuse" for loosing weight, eating healthy and exercising to improve your health!! You owe it to yourself to eat healthy, exercise and make the choice on a daily basis to commit to that.
  • angie6171
    angie6171 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've heard I'm boney now when people hug me, but I still have more to lose and more toning to do for sure. I think you look good and anyone who's lost 100 lbs or more should be so proud as I know I feel so much better already! Congratulations to you!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    YES! I hate that.

I got it mainly from the inlaws.... they sure didn't speak up when I was TOO HEAVY.

Angie
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I haven't been told I was too thin, but when people ask if I plan to lose more weight they have a fit when I say yes, 50 lbs. They proceed to tell me I look great now and don't need to lose more, but I am still in the obese range according to my BMI. Even with 50 more lbs, I would be on the high end of my weight range. I just don't understand this! And I too HATE it. For whatever reason, it is very demotivating.
  • Raignbo
    Raignbo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get this sooo much...I've lost a little over a 100lbs and I would like to drop at least 80 more. Currently, I have people telling me that I am to tiny and I can't lose anymore weight...but not only is my BMI still horrific, but I am not where I want to be yet. I would like to get to 150lbs, so I guess once I reach that, people are going to think I'm completely nuts! I feel great tho, and I am happy with my appareance, although I would I am going to keep working on my weightloss.
  • jtannehill75
    Options
    Because of how much I've lost.. people ask me if I have cancer or if I'm "okay." Hmmmm... most times, I'd like more of a compliment.. asking if i'm sick sounds like an insult. I am 4 feet 11 inches. I went from 175 to 96 lbs. My bmi is still in the normal range at 19... my doctor has no concerns..

but still.. cancer? :brokenheart:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Cancer?!?! WTF? That's a ridiculous conclusion to come to. :noway:

I haven't lost enough to get the "too thin" comments, but before I got heavy, I did hear that stuff a lot.

I was on the lower end of the healthy range when I was a teen, and everyone made sure to tell me that I looked like a ghostly skeleton walking around. I do see now, when I look at photos, what they were talking about, but when I also think about the actual things that were said and the way they were said to me, it is obvious that no one was *really* concerned. If they were concerned, they would have talked privately or asked to share a meal or talked to my parents about it. None of that happened. People just wanted to talk smack.

As far as public reactions go, I'd rather be heavy than be thin... I received so many more nasty comments about my weight when I was thin than I did when I was heavy. However, I need to be thinner for my health. Diabetes runs in my family, and I don't want to be overweight my whole life.
  • arpcoleman
    Options
    I only lost 24 pounds, but slimmed down from a 16 to a 6, and people would tell me I was too skinny, but according to my frame size and height, I am at the high end of the chart. My BMI is good, my body fat is low and great. Giving up dairy and foods that make you inflamed makes a huge difference!

I'm so happy you mentioned foods that cause inflammation. Do you have any resources? I have had some autoimmune issues in the past and would like to decrease foods that may be adding to the problem but can't seem to find any reliable information. Can you share?
  • pixieflitzy
    Options
    My mom says I'm too thin but that's because she got used to me weighing 165 lbs as a teen.
  • kenjleigh
    kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd keep getting people asking me what pills I took...nope, no pills. Just good old fashion move more, eat less.

I'd agree with the people who said the people who say you're too skinny are just jealous or used to you being the heavier weight. I've noticed that now that I've had the weight off for awhile, they've stopped remarking on it at all.
  • npeery
    npeery Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for people to say that to me! :)