5 to 2 diet

Options
mallins
mallins Posts: 9 Member
Hi is anyone out there doing the 5 to 2 diet by Dr Richard Moseley. If so does it work? What do you eat on the 500 calorie days?
I was thinking of giving it a go as I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I've been following slimming world diet on and off for the past year but have come to a standstill. Any help would be much appreciated.

Veronica

Replies

• ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think it's basically like intermittent fasting read eat stop eat or he info. I do it it's v effective
  • mallins
    Options
    What do you eat on the 500 cal days? He says the rest of the time you can eat anything within reason but I.m a bit stuck as to what to eat on the fasting days.
  • saracoop109
    Options
    if you google the 5 to 2 diet it brings up some recipes. looking at it people mostly have breakfast and then a light dinner like omelet etc. you could fill up on cup a soups that kind of thing and plenty of water. I haven't done it myself. i think i would struggle to much with the 500 kcal days.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My lovely sister in law is doing it and I was just thinking about it earlies (I have a book on my Kindle about it) 500 cals days could be a limited amount (about 28gr) of cereal with skimmed milk for breakfast, low fat hoummous and veggie sticks for lunch and then a poached egg on 1 slice light toast. Just interested to know why you're not staying with Slimming World. I lost a LOT of weight with them but gained as I didn't keep the classes up, I had thought of returning but think you really need to exercise quite a bit to loose weight on the food you are allowed, I'm a bit stuck exercise wise because of back probs but think SW is one of the best healthy eating plans around.
    If you're truly stuck, talk to your group leader they should be able to help. i just wish I had.
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    hi
    i'm starting this week with my gfirst fast day tomorrow then my next on Thursday so I can go to the gym on a mon/weds/fri
    attached a forum for those following it also

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting

the book is worth a go I also got the Kate harrison book which is written like a diary where she followed the plan give you loads of ideas
    good luck!
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you can get hold of a copy of the hairy dieters recipe book, pretty much all there recipes are under 500 cals and taste fab.

When I have a fast day I tend to only eat one meal in the evening so Hairy Dieters rocks for me.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you can get hold of a copy of the hairy dieters recipe book, pretty much all there recipes are under 500 cals and taste fab.

When I have a fast day I tend to only eat one meal in the evening so Hairy Dieters rocks for me.

I would second that!

I am also the cook in our house so generally when it comes to dinner my wife likes us to sit down and eat the same. This book has made this possible as nearly every meal is less than 600 cals and taste and look substantial.

I also skip any wine in the recipes and replace with water and dry fry to avoid using any cooking oil which also cuts calories.
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 for the health benefits. As a bonus, I've lost weight, too. It's easy to do and flexible. I like it.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    I've got the book on it from amazon and its great. It gives ideas of what to eat and what kinds of food are better to eat.
  • mallins
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for all your advice. It's most appreciated. I have been trying to follow the 5.2 diet but unfortunately I'm finding it slow going. The problem is not the 500 cal days but the other 5 days!!! I just want to stuff my face on the other days so I'm into the old yo yo mode at the moment. I think I may need to go back to slimming world at least I lost 2 stone 9lb with them which I have managed to keep off.:happy:
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi I tend to have a vege day on my 500 amazing how much you can eat and still be below 500!
  • Zelle70
    Zelle70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been doing the 5:2 diet for about two weeks now. I'm doing it to lose weight but also for the health benefits. There is a three month challenge group (organised in the 5:2 group here on the forums) that I've just joined. It seems a good little goal to aim for.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dr Michael Mosley - not Richard :smile:
    Check out his website www.thefastdiet.co.uk and it's well worth reading the book rather than just launching into it.

There's two groups on here for 5:2 fasters - recommend you join for tips,recipes and sharing experiences.

As to what to eat - there are no "rules" but people tend towards lean protein, salads, vegetables, berries, soups. You can eat a surprising variety and amount of food if you are careful.
    There's also no "rules" around when to eat your calories on fast days - my wife has breakfast and dinner whereas I prefer lunch and dinner. Quite a few people just have one meal a day. There's no right or wrong.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do it, except I now do 4:3. I have an open diary. I am in the main MFP 5:2 groups I believe. You can pimp my profile.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you guys reckon it is sustainable in the long term and if you have partners, do they also do it?

I can see that it would work, but that it is not a valid lifestyle change for me. I've lost over 2st since March and that is all by logging my foods and being aware of the crap I was eating.

I can manage that for the rest of my days..I cannot see that in 10 years anyone would be using 5:2..

Is it only a tool to get to your goal weights?
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I see it as sustainable in the long term. Certainly 5:2 is (4:3 is less practical). I intend to continue with 5:2 or 6:1 to maintain once I have got to my goal weight.

I really do not find it difficult at all. I don't have a partner but from what i have been hearing people with partners don't find it difficult.

If anything, 5:2 is easier than conventional calorie controlled diets, gives you more flexibility, has longer term health benefits (even if you disregard the studies about it lowering cholesterol and helping asthmatics it does teach you to remember what your hunger signals really feel like and helps you build a better relationship with food). I don't see it as a fad, people have been fasting intermittently for a lot longer than devotees of Weight Watchers and the ilk. It is just a repackaged and rebranded form of it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do you guys reckon it is sustainable in the long term and if you have partners, do they also do it?

I can see that it would work, but that it is not a valid lifestyle change for me. I've lost over 2st since March and that is all by logging my foods and being aware of the crap I was eating.

I can manage that for the rest of my days..I cannot see that in 10 years anyone would be using 5:2..

Is it only a tool to get to your goal weights?
    5:2 is only a repackaging of various intermittent fasting (IF) or alternate day fasting (ADF) regimes that have been around for ages - and yes there are people doing them for life. If you watch the documentary Mosley investigates various forms of IF and it's striking how healthy and lean the people doing it are.

I've only been doing it for a year but I've found it so much easier to stick to than regular dieting as it avoids the feeling of being restricted every single day. It fits around my social life and my training regime.

I've lost weight and also maintained doing 5:2 and currently experimenting with maintaining on a 6:1 schedule.

So yes, initially weight loss was a prime mover but the potential health benefits are very apppealing. I've not been this fit and healthy for a very long time. My use of migraine and anti-inflamatory meds has dwindled to almost nothing. Maybe that's a coincidence, maybe not.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to read this. I've been umming and errring for a while about it, thanks.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hmm yep. Also been interested in giving this a try