This isn't really a topic but I wanted to say hello

Options
AdobeTree
AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
Hello!
Great idea! It's hard for me to find folks outside of my church that understand fasting or even a vegan diet. Thanks Motria!

Replies

• vicki_hart
    vicki_hart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Nice to "meet" you. I started a vegetarian diet to increase my health on 1-14-13, and I am beginning a vegan diet since 3-9-13. Are you going Vegan for Lent or something else? I am following Dr. Fuhrman's plan but having a hard time sticking to it.
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I've been vegetarian off-and-on over the years, not really sure I have the dedication to go full vegan. Also, I was raised Orthodox Christian (Ukrainian). I'm not really a church-goer at this point in life, but I couldn't help but notice that our Lent starts on Monday.. and that the dietary restrictions are very similar to a vegan diet. So..why not combine purposes, right?

What is Dr.Fuhrman's plan?

Feel free to post topics and invite some friends! We had a discussion on the general boards a few weeks ago (link below.) I'll circle back and invite a few of the folks who responded to that one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/909336-any-orthodox-christians-out-there?hl=orthodox

-Motria
  • vicki_hart
    vicki_hart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/
    Gosh, I should have put the link in!
    Dr. Fuhrman suggests 16 oz of raw fruits and veggies, 16 oz of cooked veggies, 1 cup of beans, and limited amounts of starchy foods such as rice and whole grains every day. I am struggling to stick with it, but so far, so good.
  • liketobefit1001
    Options
    This is a lovely discussion thread. Dr fuhrman is inspiring , effective and his ideas really work. I have followed his brilliant ideas of high micronutrient to low calorie density for quite some time and shared with others. Its almost magical .Works wonders every time.
    The essential theme of Vegan , from perspective of health , is unparallely brought about both him and the larger team of fork over knives.

Being vegan and practicing yoga and meditation from a long time , I feel , that the spritual feelings take a new lift with a plant based diet. A calm , finer feeling pervades all the time . So I feel combining aspects of spiritual side of church and a vegan diet is a powerful idea.
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel , that the spritual feelings take a new lift with a plant based diet. A calm , finer feeling pervades all the time . So I feel combining aspects of spiritual side of church and a vegan diet is a powerful idea.

It's a busy day with the kids, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the thoughtful comments Liketobefit and Vicki! :flowerforyou:

I will read up on Dr. Fuhrman soon - from your description I can see that this is a healthy diet, although I'd likely have a problem with limiting grains and starches.
  • Alex1254
    Alex1254 Posts: 5
    Options
    I made the commitment to veganism one year ago March 15. Celebrating one year! It has given me more spiritual clarity and a much calmer sense of being. What brought me to this commitment originally was a ridiculously high cholesterol number. No meds for me! After watching Forks Over Knives, reading about plant-based diets, and prayer, I just took the plunge. Three months later, with no slips, my cholesterol dropped 70 points and my triglycerides dropped 80 points! Now that I am in better shape for this issue, I am watching calories and protein more carefully. Hopefully, I can get off 47 more pounds.
    I think it is a wonderful idea to do the 40 day challenge for Lent. I have been to the Orthodox church and have a very dear friend who is a member there. It wasn't quite right for me, but it was an inspiring service.
    Thanks for posting this topic!
    ~Alex