To much to soon?

Options
Posted this is the main forum... wondering what my fellow LGBT's think?

I want to be more than just my goal weight (9stone, currently 10stone 10llb) I want to be very fit with a lean body.

I have started a C25K plan as I am running a Half Marathon in September. I have (when i go for my run in an hour) finished my first week which I am quite pleased with. I am thinking of carrying on with this in the morning (Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays) before I go to work 3 times a week. I also want to add the gym in there after work but not on same days. I enjoy the classes and the social side is always a bonus (I have a massive crush on the manager... :) )

In january I tried going to the gym but I got disheartened and gave up. This is always the case with me, I try something and just give up... I almost talk myself out of it. No I do talk myself out of it.

I think it might be because I take on to much at once and can't stick to it. I am thinking if I introduce things slowly and build up to the level that I want to be that I have a far better chance of maintaining it?

Advise welcome!!

Replies

• Dawnzwolf
    Dawnzwolf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as well, but this time around i have been slowly building up. It works alot better! So i say give it a a shot build it up slowly. :) - Dawn
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I kind of eased back into fitness and have found it worked well for me...I started with running a few days a week, like you, and over a year have upped my workouts to 6 days/week, gradually adding different and more intense types of activities. I think it made it less overwhelming and more achievable...baby steps, ya know? Basically, every time I feel like I'm not being physically challenged I try to mix it up and add/change something, so I keep seeing progress and keep having little physical "victories" (run farther, jump higher, longer cardio, heavier weights, more pushups etc), which are really motivating to keep going. :) I think there is such a thing as too much too soon :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I think I will build up, it makes sense based on what your saying. I will do another week of running and then add a class :) thanks
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think I will build up, it makes sense based on what your saying. I will do another week of running and then add a class :) thanks

A week is not a slow build up, just FYI - in fact if you are serious about training for the marathon I would make your classes strictly "when I feel like it" - as in, do not put any pressure on yourself to go to one, EVER, if you don't really feel up to it, *and* ask yourself if going to a class today will mess up your marathon training, etc.

I think you will find that working towards a performance goal (like running a marathon) will keep you a lot more motivated than just "work out X days a week" -- and you should always pick one primary performance goal. So if the marathon is it, good for you, focus on that and anything you feel like doing on the side is EXTRA. (although ideally for marathon training you should have 1 cross training day a week so a class is a good sub for that).
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    Just a note on c25k I am doin it also at the moment I am on week six and I am really enjoying it and I'm amazed at how much I improved. The point is whatever you do make sure you enjoy it because from my experience if you are just working out to lose weight you will get bored of the activity. You have to enjoy the activity itself and the weightless or muscle gain is a bonus and that's what I think is the key to making it long term.

Remember life's a journey not a destination
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Setting small goals can help. Wanting to be very fit and lean is a goal that will take quite some time to get to; so will running a 5k. Not that they aren't good long-term goals, but if you're the sort of person who talks yourself out of things because you're not succeeding fast enough, you're going to need something else in there.

For instance, if you're doing C25k, then a smaller goal of "complete week 2" will come around sooner than "complete the program". You'll feel successful because you've accomplished one of your goals, which will keep you engaged, and then you can set the new goal of "complete week 3".

If you're doing some sort of weightlifting (not sure what you do at the gym), set small goals for yourself, like wanted to lift 5lb heavier than you currently do, or complete a 12 reps of something you currently can only do 5 of. Again, this will keep you more motivated because you'll be achieving measurable goals.

Good luck!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree..one week is not slow. However, I think you can safely add 2 days of light strength training at the gym to your C25K program and not be over-doing it. I wouldn't suggest doing more than that since the C25K will advance you automatically. Your body will tell you when it's time to "up" for workouts.
  • EasterKingston
    EasterKingston Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would recommend choosing a program (such as C25k) and really sticking to it. I learned this the hard way and ended up with an injury that still affects the way I can exercise. I understand enthusiasm and wanting to do it all at once, and yeah, getting quick results is a little addictive. But it's easy to push yourself to do too much, too fast. The programs are thoughtfully designed. Your body might be able to do more than what the guidelines recommend, but the guidelines are there to keep you from overdoing it and injuring yourself or, god forbid, over-training.

Good luck to you, and have fun!