How did you pick your chosen branch?

Options
JJordon
JJordon Posts: 857 Member
I'm rather torn between soldier and sailor. My age pushes me out of Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard, so that's that.

I was a Caribbean islander, hailing from the Bahamas, so knowing how to survive at sea through the Navy, seems like a good idea if I plan on returning there.

However, I am now in the states, and this is one giant land mass. So, forestry, navigation, etc, seems like a great thing to know.

Also, the Army uses rifles and the martial arts, MACP, in its basic training.

The Navy is not there for its basic training. Shotguns are it and SOME* sailors are rumored to be taught MCMAP, but its nothing official. And this is usually after basic training.

I was former AFJROTC, I am inherently familiar with this Army ranking style, I have a general idea of what is what enlisted, warrant, and officer side.

Navy, not so much. The only things I know about the Navy are: Donald Duck was a Seaman... forever, Popeye, a Coast Guard enlisted man, joined the Navy during the war, and that Master Chief is an awesome rank. That's well, all I got. Also the Navy is more technical than the Army, but the Army uses alot of people outside of their MOS, for whatever they need. While the Navy, does stick you in a billet and keep you there, or so I was told.

So, how did you people come up with your choice of branch?

My life goal is to enlist, do my years in the reserve and maybe, join the National Guard, or stay reserve.

The last two men in my family to serve was on American side, Army, then National Guard. The Bahamian side fought for the British, Royal Navy. And honestly, the Royal Bahamas Defense Force is odd to me after living in the states. Most sailor-marines rarely leave out to sea. They act more like a Coast Guard and I have no plans on serving the British indirectly through them due to my negative experiences with them in my formative years. American all the way.

USA!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am former Navy....then I got smart and joined the Coast Guard.

I hated the Navy advancement system. Being an E-4 in the Navy was basically just being and over payed non-rate. Boot camp was a joke.

Besides....after having done their ERB and fired 3,000 sailors (some who were my friends) and then turned around and claimed they were short people to fill sea duty billets is b/s. I will always have respect for my sea going cousins.....but their leadership is quack sometimes.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like ships so the USN interests me. That said I've been a fat kid since middle school so I wanted to pick the most physically demanding services to join in order to show that I can do it. That's why I'm focusing on the USMC. Fallback being the USN or USAF.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    When it all comes down to it, research, research, research.

Find out MOS's and rates before you go and see what interests you. Are you wanting to be someone who is more behind the scenes or do you want to be on the front line? Do you want to be a mechanic or do you want drive? Do you want to carry a gun the whole time or do you want to carry a medipac?

You answer those questions then you will know what to do.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Awesome and funny post Jay :D I want to be a sailor because I love ships and I love the ocean. They have the coolest uniforms too :) I want to be behind the scenes though. Im more of a support character than a front line guy.
  • JJordon
    Options
    When I was 18, I was young and gung-ho.

Well, not so much anymore. I want to get into a billet or MOS that relates to my degree and get some related experience.
  • rduhlir
    Options

Well, not so much anymore. I want to get into a billet or MOS that relates to my degree and get some related experience.

What degree is that?
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First to address the question at hand. I chose the USMC for myself because after months and months of research a while ago and having been to boot camp before (I was discharged from there) I still want to be a Marine! I have heard the horror stories and other tales from friends I have that are Marines and the drive I have is still there. I have had a few ups and down and it is still the place I feel I need to be.

As rduhlir said, research is your best friend! Compare and contrast the differences and see which one fits you the best.

Tony, Tony, Tony... SMH The Navy has the coolest uniforms? LOL JK No offence to the sailors here. I am totally partial to the Marine Corps and their awesome uniforms. :)
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The USMC is part of the USN though. So doesn't that mean Tony's right and we do have the coolest uniforms...?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    LOL Sam arguing semantics xD

OK I defer. Marines do have cool outfits. I love those tunic things...not sure what they're called. Still cant top those enlisted Navy service dress blues :)

But Let's just say sailors and marines have the coolest ;) Army is kinda blah. Air force is probably second place. Coast Guard is errr sorry Hannah and rduhlir!
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LOL Ok Tony we are at a compromise. :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I chose the CG because it is the only branch that does law enforcement as well. Even if you are not a Maritime Enforcement officer you can still get qualfied as a LE officer. We are on land and we are at sea, we are also overseas. PM me if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them. I have been in 2 years.
  • JJordon
    Options
    Way back when, when I was trying to get into the Air Force, I spoke to my local CG recruiter. He seemed so... not interested. Recruiting? He was like, 'were really peculiar'. Okay fine. I called him twice after that, and well, he never returned my calls. I found that odd at the time, cause the Army/Navy/Marines were practically telling me I could be an astronaut or I could be a movie Rambo (which seems to go against the idea of an MOS, but tell Hollywood that), learning how to fly planes as well as be a Green Beret or whatever special super team they have. And the AF guy was just as disinterested, too. Which is funny, cause he kept showing up at our AFJROTC classes, and that was about it.
  • JJordon
    Options

What degree is that?

BS BA Accounting concentration.
  • daniellesease
    daniellesease Posts: 26 Member
    Options

What degree is that?

BS BA Accounting concentration.

I have a similar degree. Bachelor of Science in Business Management with a concentration in Accounting. I'm hoping on getting into a field that deals with financial management. But I'm open for anything. I'm trying to lose weight and then get a package together to apply for commission in the USN. Hoping for something in Supply since that is the area of financial situations... I chose Navy bc I'm too old for most other branches. Also many family members were AD Navy. Some were AD AF, and I was always interested in that, but I missed the age cutoff. I grew up a Navy brat. :-)
  • pooleebarbara
    pooleebarbara Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love answering this question! LOL

I chose the military for a number of reasons...

1. My daddy was a marine, and he spoke so highly of them, it's hard for me not to be impartial and love them as well.
    2. They seperate their girls and boys during bootcamp. I'm not saying that I'm old fashioned, but being under stress and under sexed can lead to oportunities... regardless of the time and place. I don't want that to even have that as a possibility. Besides that, I don't think it'd be very motivating for me to be doing my training next to a guy who can life 2 soldiers at once, while I piggyback poolee nancy lol
    3. I have the ability to choose the MOS that I want. I want to do the financial aspect of life, no other branch will even talk to me about it.

Those are the main reasons, but not all! I just wanted to take a moment to post!
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jan. I am trying to enlist in the army. I'm in the process (i hope) and basically am just sending out medical record over medical record (for the same stupid carpal tunnel surgery) to the recruiter and he is waiting to hear back.
    I chose the army because I am under the age limit (barely) for active duty and something about the army just interested me.