Running a half while pregnant!

AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Okay, today's was just a virtual, but the distance is the same, and I have a chip timed in a few weeks. I'm now 11 weeks, but one of my clues to this pregnancy was how much harder running became, very quickly. Weeks 5-10 were incredibly hard and my mileage dipped a lot, just due to fatigue and general morning sickness - but it really does get better and I felt fantastic during my 13.1 today :) Just wanted to throw this out there because while I realize the guys won't be impressed, I know I won't be the last distance runner to run while pregnant and wanted to throw reassurance out there that it really does get better. I know I won't be able to maintain this level my entire pregnancy - but for now, I'm thrilled.

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    That's killer! So proud of you for keeping it up!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Good job! I know that it is okay to exercise while pregnant and they encourage to continue the activities you were doing before. I know of a pregnant woman that went through 7 hours of a rigourous black belt grading and she was 7 months pregnant. The only preferential treatment she got was to not be kicked in the stomach. So, if your fit enough then why not do it. As long as you listen to your body and doctor everything should be fine. :-)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I have a friend in my running group who ran all the way until the week before she was due~and the baby came a week early. So~I guess that means she ran the entire pregnancy! She was back the following Saturday, baby in tow and ran ten miles. Amazing! If you feel good and the Dr. give his/her blessing, I say "Go for it!".
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I have a friend in my running group who ran all the way until the week before she was due~and the baby came a week early. So~I guess that means she ran the entire pregnancy! She was back the following Saturday, baby in tow and ran ten miles. Amazing! If you feel good and the Dr. give his/her blessing, I say "Go for it!".

Wow....just wow.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    That is awesome! I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and I am registered for a half in June, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm not very confident I'm going to be able to do it.

I've been struggling big time to exercise at all in the last 10 weeks or so because of the nausea and exhaustion. I'm hoping that any day I'm going to be feeling better and start logging some more miles.

Congrats, what a great accomplishment!