Raiding your pantry

Options
Motria
Motria Posts: 54 Member
(Bear with me.. I haven't posted photos before.)

I don't have a lot of food in the house today - going shopping later to get lots of yummy veggies, grains, and meat substitutes.

I have a few vegetarian items in the pantry and freezer. I love Indian and Middle Eastern foods. Upon closer inspection, I found that many of them had milk and/or eggs in the ingredients. In the below photo the truly vegan (I think) stuff is on the left and dishes with milk or egg content are on the right. I was most surprised by all the Indian dishes with milk in them! Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to labels.

So what's in your pantry?

veganpantry-1.jpg

Replies

• Motria
    Options
    I'm getting a new appreciation for my friends who are vegan. There is hidden dairy in sooo many products! See pictures below. Now, I know this isn't exactly health food.. but wouldn't you think a vegan is safe snacking on a few Tostitos "Hint of Lime" chips? Wrongo! There's also a *hint* of sour cream in there. :frown:

chips1.jpg

chips2.jpg
  • Dakota106
    Dakota106 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Yes I learned a long time ago to read labels! I picked up a veggie broth once and it contained MILK!! Really!!! I made a pot of veggie bean soup today,brought a bowl with a nice salad to work for dinner as I work till midnight. I also made a batch of vegan muffins that our a fav. in my house. Dakota
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I know! We were out shopping today as well, stocking up on veggies and stuff, my fiance was looking at protein powders. Some say no milk, but still have milk derivitives ..does that not count?? We were torn on whether to buy or not.
  • Motria
    Options
    I know! We were out shopping today as well, stocking up on veggies and stuff, my fiance was looking at protein powders. Some say no milk, but still have milk derivitives ..does that not count?? We were torn on whether to buy or not.

I'm going to allow myself a few products in this "grey area" until they're used up and I figure out a good alternative. I have half a canister of chocolate-shake protein powder which has some kind of "milk protein" in it. I'm not going to throw it out. I have to be reasonable - I work full time and have small children, so I can't dedicate a ton of time to researching this and driving around to various stores to get the right products. Don't turn me in to the vegan police!! :noway:
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    lol-well if we're reporting people, we can still eat fish with out backbones...so we still eat shrimp and scallops. (not so vegan, lol) Also, FYI, for those following the fast for faith purposes, it goes until May 5....Easter.
  • AdobeTree
    AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Regarding the grey area...Money is tight for me so I have been finishing up or freezing anything I can until after lent (except the brownies I snuck out of the freezer this afternoon). I'm not super strict on the fast and don't look at labels...this is my second year of fasting. Last year I did meat, cheese, and milk, but this year I'm going all out.

In the past year I have been working on eating whole or "clean" foods. I'm a great fan of Ethiopian and Indian food and many of them are vegan. If anyone is interested, this page has a great Ethiopian recipes (and a great story about family): http://www.godwilladd.com/p/mondays-menu-ethiopian-recipes.html

- Sophie