Seen the new UK Coke ad?

Options
Okay, so Coke are finally advertising the number of calories in a can of coke. BUT, there is a small note saying the number of calories burnt may vary and also what about all the other bad additives in it?

Okay, I don't totally avoid fizzy drinks. I tend to limit myself to a diet coke once or twice a week. I do however feel it's almost like coke are saying it is all okay when really it isn't.

What do others think?

Replies

• The_Gruffalo
    Options
    The stuff they use in diet fizzy drinks Aspartame is actually worse than the sugar it replaces it is also a active ingredient of embalming fluid (Formaldehyde)

I stopped drinking full fat fizzy drinks 2 months ago by going cold turkey because i was addicted i could easy drink 4 liters yes thats 4 liters a day! I have recently been drinking a lot of diet coke / pepsi but starting today i am cutting it out of my diet all together because i know i will be back on the slippery slope of going back to full fat stuff.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I rarely [once a year if that] drink any carbonated drinks, full fat or otherwise, I am not an angel, just a wartime baby with rationing, and my first fizzy pop was a Pepsi, I guess in the mid 50s. Thus I never got a taste or addiction for the stuff, nothing clever on my part, just the way life panned out

Not seen the Coke advert, but the head honcho was interviewed on Radio 4 in last few days about the ad.

I must say he seemed quite genuine, but as we all know, once you can fake sincerity you have it made,

As regards additives, they are in every commercially processed item, form burgers to tinned peas, all are legal of course. I tend to go by the maxim if it is reads like a chemists shelf then probably best avoided
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think they are pointing out the obvious.... 'everything in moderation':..:drinker:

martyx
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Luckily I lost the taste for carbonated drinks in my late teens, in fact I don't have a sweet tooth. If I had, I dread to think how high my weight would have crept to!

To be honest I think the diet versions whilst having aspartame are a lesser evil than the full sugar drinks.
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    the only thing i noticed about the new diet coke advert was the man taking his tshirt off lol!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    the only thing i noticed about the new diet coke advert was the man taking his t shirt off lol!

Now if it was real gender equality & girl taking her blouse off maybe it would have made more impact?

just saying
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are fine, aspartame is fine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

Full fat coke is not a natural product itself - caramel, flavourings and lots of sugar (8 sugars in your tea anyone?) so if it were me I would avoid fizzy drinks altogether, for the sake of your teeth and your waistline.

Buy a juicer and get experimenting. Apple, pear and ginger juice is my current favourite.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I ended up in hospital from drinking 4 'healthy' yoghurt drinks which contained aspartame. I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke but, after a few questions, the Doctor sussed what it was and said that he sees these reactions to aspartame regularly. It scared my husband half to death, as he says I turned grey and started acting weird. I was then told to avoid it at all costs. My best mate doesn't have a problem with it though, she has so many diet drinks with it in that I think she's addicted.
  • The_Gruffalo
    Options
    http://i50.tinypic.com/sqnp5g.jpg

Says it all about the stuff tbh
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    the only thing i noticed about the new diet coke advert was the man taking his tshirt off lol!

^ this ^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^ this ^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too :):)
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the advert with the man taking his shirt off or the one were it keeps saying the coke has 139 cals the same as dancing etc.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    The one about the number of cals in fat bloke coke (as I call it).
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    Diet drinks are fine, aspartame is fine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

Full fat coke is not a natural product itself - caramel, flavourings and lots of sugar (8 sugars in your tea anyone?) so if it were me I would avoid fizzy drinks altogether, for the sake of your teeth and your waistline.

Buy a juicer and get experimenting. Apple, pear and ginger juice is my current favourite.

I agree that aspartame is fine. Here is the British Dietetic Association's fact sheet on sugar (which includes sweetener information) www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Sugar.pdf

I've got nothing against 'unnatural' things though, I guess I can't rationalise that natural is necessarily better when lots of natural things are poison! I personally would consider fruit juice a junk food - almost the same sugar content and calories as fizzy drink and limited nutritional value. A recent study showed apple juice for example has similar nutritional content to orange squash.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Argh that advert annoys me, "laugh for this amount of time burns this many calories" ergh yeah if only it was that easy!! I try to avoid fizzy drinks, prefer to drink juice or water :-)
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wanna see this ad!! Don't drink coke, but, topless men? Gimmee!! :0))
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why? Why do you hate science? Did it do something bad to you in your childhood?

Edit: Not you Foodie, obviously.
  • manikochar
    manikochar Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know -imagine if it was a group of guys oggling a women taking off her top!

Watchdog would be alive!