pumping.... help

Options
koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
pumping.... help baby got rsv, and we discovered she also had reflux. She refused to nurse and began dropping weight so i switched to pumping. I usually pump around 27 ounces in a day(that's pumping 3 times a day). My baby is now just shy of 3 months old. So i started back up on mfp. Set my calories at 1950 and in two days my supply tanked by 5 oz I'm 5'5" and weigh 174. Could my calories really be too low? I want to be able to continue pumping. And shed this weight as well. What has? worked for you

Replies

• LindsayLo79
    LindsayLo79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting her back on the breast? That is the best way to increase your supply, pumping is said to not be an accurate way to judge your supply. I think your calories are set at a good place...Im at 1780 and EFB and do not seem to have any issues. My son also has reflux which was discovered at 7 weeks...Sorry wish I could provide more of a solution for you - :)
  • vamolinari
    vamolinari Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a decrease in supply when my calories were too low or if I am starting my period. A couple of days after I get my period my supply will go back to where it was. Also increasing my calories and drinking mother's milk tea has helped keep my supply up.
  • nattymommy33
    Options
    What is your goal set to for weekly weightloss? A breastfeeding mom should have a goal of losing 1/2 pound to 1 pound per week. More than that can influence supply but more likely will make mom feel run down. Also, what activity level are you set to? There isn't a mom on this board who is truly sedentary, so make sure your settings are at least to "lightly active". Lastly, you should log breastfeeding as an activity worth at least 500 calories and then make sure to eat them back.

I am 5'4" and about 10 pounds heavier than you and I generally eat 2150 calories a day (and more if I exercise.) My mom jokes that she wants to start pumping so she can eat like a lumberjack and lose weight like I've been. :-)