Check in...How is everyone?

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
Our group has been around for almost 3 months. But it's getting pretty quiet in here! lol.

We started around the beginning of January. And we all know that, statistically, most people who start out to get healthy on January 1st quit by the end of the month. (And we've all probably been one of those statistics---more than once!)

So who is still here? How are you doing? Let's do a quick check in.

Starting weight (SW)
Current Weight (CW)
Goal Weight (GW)
What are your successes with food?
What are your struggles with food?
What are your successes with exercise?
What are your struggles with exercise?
Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share?
Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you!

By the way...we have about 200 members in the group, but we only hear from about 15 or 20. Every week or two, I go through and delete anyone who has not logged in to MFP (not this board) in more than a month.

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    (SW): 306
    (CW): 280
    (GW): 150 ish

Food success:
    No Pepsi for more than a month! Drinking tons of water. I've stayed under my food goal every day. I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but some days I use up to 200 exercise calories.

Food struggles:
    Salt.

Exercise success:
    I've walked almost 100 miles! Since I got my FitBit, I've done at least 5000 steps a day, but usually 10,000.
    I've completed 5 weeks of C25K (couch to 5K), and I ran for 20 minutes without stopping

Exercise struggles:
    I would love to join a gym and be able to attend a Zumba class regularly---and maybe work with a trainer on strength training.

NSVs:
    Someone at church told me I look Amazing! And my pants are starting to be a little big.

Products:
    Yonanas (http://yonanans.com) Love, love, love my frozen banana treats!!
    NatureBox (http://naturebox.com) But if you use this link and order, you'll save $5 and I'll save $10 on my next order:
    http://www.naturebox.com/?utm_campaign=Home+Page+-+variant+1+-+variant+5&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Friendbuy&utm_content=facebook

FitBit ID: http://www.fitbit.com/user/24QPV7
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'll check in since I saw you post this :)

I am doing awesome, I managed to get over the plateau I was on for a few weeks so I'm very happy. I restarted on 1 January after a few months where I gained some weight.

SW: Nov 2011 - 329/ Jan 2013 - 294
    CW: 271 (58lbs total, 23lb since 1 Jan this year)
    GW: 160

Successes and struggles with food: Mostly just trying to eat enough. I tend to forget about eating and I discovered that MFP had actually set my calories too low and my weight loss stalled. I swapped to using calories based off my TDEE which actually has me eating more than I was. It's quite hard, first for me to eat that much and second to get my head around that I lose more when I'm eating more and not worried about carbs. I did adjust my carbs down a bit though from MFP automatically assigns - I do 50/30/20 % with Carbs, Protein and Fat and it seems to work really well for me. Yay! Basically it means nothing is 'off limits', I just make sure that I weigh everything out which I'm happy doing.

Exercise - I tend to be a bit obsessive about it. I've cut back and because I've based my calories off my TDEE I'm not eating back any exercise calories. It works well for me. I'm doing some cardio now and focussing on weight training, although I tend to put that off a bit sometimes. No excuses though, I have a home gym weight set that I have to walk past many times per day, I just need to stick to my 3 - 4 sessions per week.

If anyone is interested in basing calories off TDEE then there's a group on here that I can give you a link to, but I do know that everyone loses weight differently - it's not one size fits all by any means!
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Starting weight (SW) 335
    Current Weight (CW) 282
    Goal Weight (GW) 136
    What are your successes with food? I have been under my calorie goal without exception...even through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and my birthday!
    What are your struggles with food? There are times when I have had to exercise quite a bit to accomodate my hunger pangs, which is very frustrating.
    What are your successes with exercise? I won our YMCA Gift Challenge from 11/5/12-1/5/13 and I have completed our Y's Lazy Man's Triathlon (112 miles of biking/26.2 miles of walking or biking/2.4 miles of swimming) in 16 days instead of the 31 we were given.
    What are your struggles with exercise? I am continually looking for challenges to keep myself motivated to be at the gym. I keep hoping that someday, somehow, this will be a habit I don't have to work at, but I am not sure that is going to happen
    Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? I started in 4x (26-28) clothes. Last night, I picked up a size 20 outfit with a plan to be able to wear that by early summer. Surprise, surprise, when I tried it on, it fit! and my husband really liked how it looked ;)
    Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you: I make liberal use of our YMCA and the classes, challenges, and tools they offer. I have also completed week 3, day 1, of c25k! I am using the c25k Free app for my iPhone and I am loving that I ran for three minutes in a row today, twice!

My start date is actually 11/1/12. I don't remember what my 1/1/13 weight was, so I am just giving it to you from where I began.
  • recee27
    recee27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Starting weight (SW) 286, I actually started at 295 and lost 9lbs before starting MFP.

Current Weight (CW) 272

Goal Weight (GW) 160

What are your successes with food? I have gone from two 44oz diet soda A DAY to one or two 12oz cans a month.

What are your struggles with food? I still struggle with sweets. I LOVE sweets. There are some foods that I just can't eat without some kind of sweetener. Like berries, greek yogurt. I love both those foods, but NOT with the bitter, sour taste without some kind of sweetener. I also have to MAKE myself drink enough water, and a lot of the time I don't get enough. Still a work in progress!

What are your successes with exercise? I went from NO activity whatsoever to five days a week 60 min. a day of Zumba. I love it. When I first started my legs felt like they were on fire and my muscles burned like no other. I didn't think I would make it through most classes, but now I have no problems.

What are your struggles with exercise? I really want to do strength training, but I feel so lost when I look at the weight machines and kind of out of place being the biggest person in there usually.

Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? I have lost three inches in my waist. And my pants are all starting to become quite baggy.
    Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you!
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Starting weight (SW)- 270
    Current Weight (CW)-251
    Goal Weight (GW)-140...will get there and re-evaluate

I have been consistent. This is a major thing for me. Limiting binges, or when I have one, its one day, not 4. Still eating whatever I want and still losing weight.

Not eating enough healthy foods, especially vegetables. And finding time to cook working night shift.

None, I am still not exercising. =(

The fact that I'm too tired all the time to do it.

Pants are getting looser, tightened up my watch a little bit. Face is smaller. :)

I'm addicted to Coke Zero now instead of sweet tea. And Mio!!!
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie!

Starting weight (SW) 350

Current Weight (CW) 340

Goal Weight (GW) 175 (ultimately maybe 140-150, see how it goes)

What are your successes with food? Finding a balance where I can eat things I like and stay inside my calorie goals, also getting better at keeping sodium in check. Staying with it most days, but still stray a couple times a week.

What are your struggles with food? Fast food is the culprit in my obesity. I know how bad it is for me and I'm trying to stay away but it keeps calling me back. I've been stuck around the same weight for 2 weeks and need to have more self control so I can get passed this and move on.

What are your successes with exercise? I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle and always rejected exercise, even knowing about all the benefits involved. Keeping it low impact and for short periods of time, I was able to implement a short workout 4-5 days a week, which is beyond my initial intent of 3 days a week. I don't intend to increase the number of days a week, but I do plan to gradually build up to longer, more intense workouts as I am able to.

What are your struggles with exercise? Working long hours and coming home exhausted and achy makes it a little difficult to move sometimes. In those cases I will either force myself to workout, or save it for the next day. Eventually I want to transition to morning workouts so I have no excuses after a long day at work!

Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? Energy level is rising and I'm noticing I can do more and not get tired so fast. There's been a few times I was antsy and actually wanted to walk, which is very rare for me! I know it's only going to get better. Not seeing too many changes in the mirror just yet, but there's a couple areas that seem to be smaller.

Products, websites, or other things you've found? Not much yet, but I did find out about Dietbet from Julie. Not sure if I'll be a winner yet but it's exciting and motivating!
  • rlv2
    rlv2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Our group has been around for almost 3 months. But it's getting pretty quiet in here! lol.

We started around the beginning of January. And we all know that, statistically, most people who start out to get healthy on January 1st quit by the end of the month. (And we've all probably been one of those statistics---more than once!)

So who is still here? How are you doing? Let's do a quick check in. I AM here... and I love to read everyones posts...

Starting weight (SW) 271
    Current Weight (CW) 233
    Goal Weight (GW)180
    What are your successes with food? My successes have been just eating in moderation and no sugar... and carbs everyother day
    What are your struggles with food? At work... when people are bring food in all of the time... but I havent ate any of it.. : )
    What are your successes with exercise? Running my 3rd 5k April 13
    Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? People are starting to notice... clothes are fitting so loose... I love to sit at a booth in a resturant now..
    Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you! MFP is the BEST...

By the way...we have about 200 members in the group, but we only hear from about 15 or 20. Every week or two, I go through and delete anyone who has not logged in to MFP (not this board) in more than a month.
  • Srsmith1955
    Srsmith1955 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

So who is still here? How are you doing? Let's do a quick check in.

Starting weight 301.5lb
    Current Weight 224lb
    Goal Weight 170lb

What are your successes with food? My protein energy shake. It's like chocolate milk I replace it for my breakfast since I have never been a breakfast eater. I make it up and drink it on the road on the way to drop my daughter off at school and then towards work and finish it there.

What are your struggles with food? The convenience of already made food. I have a fast pace day and if nothing it made and ready to go I either don't eat or get something quick. Also, Diet Coke. That is very hard to give up since it's my only addiction. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs but have to have at least 12 oz of diet coke for the caffeine.

What are your successes with exercise? I am actually making an effort to walk on my lunch for 30 minutes and doing "The Biggest Loser Workout" at home on the kinect. Also lifting weights for some strength training. With the lose weight I am not carrying as much weight as I use to and noticing I am losing some muscle in my legs. Things are easier to do with the weight gone but the muscles are not there like they were.

What are your struggles with exercise? Doing It. As Nike says best, "Just Do It" that is my struggle. It's hard to juggle everything while trying to be the same person as I was.

I just came back on after a long process and in hopes for motivation. I am very shy and hard to communicate with because, even though I am young social media is not an addiction. But I am here now trying to contribute to conversations and read and get ideas. So here is my update. Still struggling but working on it. I haven't given up and don't intend to.
  • Srsmith1955
    Options
    That's awesome. I have some of the same problems. I really need to switch to waking up and doing the exercise so I don't have an excuse either, but so hard when I do all my house work after my daughter is asleep and don't go to bed until 11:00p.m. I am a person that needs 10 hours of sleep really but don't always get it.

You should be proud of yourself this far and continue to beat those "addictions," as I call them. We will strive for a better future.
  • Srsmith1955
    Options
    As everyone will see now. I can't not post properly Ha! Welcome to my life.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Starting weight (SW)248.8
    Current Weight (CW) 244.8
    Goal Weight (GW) 145

Portion control is easier as I become more comfortable with proper sizes and weights. My biggest struggle has been the temptation to go to the local restaurant. It's this tiny little dive that has recently been rented by a professional chef. OMG the man can cook. As it happens I"m on a bit of a spiritual journey until the 28th. No dairy, meat, processed foods, or liquid other than water. I may continue after the 28th but that is the date I chose to be my goal. So far I've had no real struggles with food other than chocolate. I cannot buy Cella's Chocolate Covered Cherries or I will eat until they are all gone. It doesn't matter how many boxes I get. I'll keep eating even after I feel sick. I still find my self temped to buy them.

I have a partner in crime all set to go, and Thursdays are now scheduled for Zumba Gold. My biggest struggle is just getting started. I have so many things to do that I never seem to make time for the exercise. I'm going with gradual changes right now, I'm really only 4 weeks into seriously working on getting the weight down. At the end of April my snowbirds will be home from Florida and grandma will be moving from my house back into her youngest daughters. I will be working for them doing house cleaning 3x a week which translates into a 25 mile drive to town. I'll be able to meet my workout buddy at the gym!

My big non-scale victory was the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at church. It took a lot of work to pull together our very first one and I had good help. Everyone attending gave very good feedback and say they are looking forward to another one next year.

The only product I use is a FitBit. The thing costs around $50 and is one of the best investments ever. It is a pedometer that automatically reports your steps to FitBit.com AND you can easily set it up to report calories burned to MFP! On top of that, you can friend people who also have the FitBit and encourage each other along.

My FitBit ID is: http://www.fitbit.com/user/24PFD8

Favorite site is CleanEatingMag.com
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight:242
    Current Weight:227
    Goal Weigher:149

I'm doing well! It's not easy and I have up days and down days. I don't have a lot to offer...Sort of coasting right now!

I plan my food every single day. It keeps me on track and my tummy stays happy!

Rich foods-lasagna, red wine-I love Chianti!

I'm running 3.1 miles on a 1 incline on the treadmill every other day!

My hammy bugs me if I run each day so I have to go easy on my off days

I participated in my first MYA (Move your *kitten*) challenge in February and completed 60 miles-RUNNING!

I love my WII Fit. It has helped me on the toning end of things.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Starting weight (SW) 235
    Current Weight (CW) 218
    Goal Weight (GW) 130

What are your successes with food? I've been staying within my calorie goals!

What are your struggles with food? I need to keep working toward eating cleaner.

What are your successes with exercise? I exercise WAY more regularly than I ever have, save for when I was in school. lol

What are your struggles with exercise? My foot is still jacked up from when I broke it and sometimes it's too painful to exercise as often as I'd like to.

Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? Not really, other than the ones I've shared on the NSV thread in the past. Clothes fitting better, inches lost, etc.

Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you! Refit Rev on youtube for Zumba. They also just released a dvd which is REALLY good! I love Fiber One chocolate brownies when I'm craving something sweet.
  • ShannonTourne
    ShannonTourne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SW: 370.8
    CW: 334.8
    GW: 175---When I get there, I'll re-evaluate.

Hmm...successes with food: I have stopped drinking sodas, tea, and coffee. I don't miss the soda at all, surprisingly, but I would love a glass of sweet tea as big as my head!

Struggles with food: I am an emotional eater, so I have really fought turning to food when something happens, or I feel bad, etc. Sometimes I win the battle, sometimes I don't. For me,it is a day by day process.

Successes with exercise: Just trying to move every day. My husband and I have taken lots of walks, I exercise with my kids using Wii Dance (oh, my, I'm sooo uncoordinated!), and an exercise ball with a DVD.

Struggles with exercise: I have fibromyalgia, so some days, it is all I can do to get kids up, ready, and to school, and myself to work. On those days, I usually come home and lay on a heating pad.

NSV's: Shopping for clothes in my closet....you know, the stuff in the back that's been there for quite a while because eventually, you are going to lose weight and get back into it....yay! My husband telling me that he can really tell I'm losing weight was wonderful....he's so supportive, but he is honest to a fault.

Products I have found: Special K protein shakes. They are sooo good, and hold me over until lunch. Weight watchers ice cream candy bars....oh my goodness, they taste just like the snickers ice cream bar!
  • deprek
    deprek Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pounds lost so far: 14 (although I lost 10 before joining MFP)
    Goal Weight (GW) between 159 and 179 (although if I'm comfortable at a higher or lower weight I'll adjust accordingly)

What are your successes with food? I plan my dinners ahead of time and try to plan the rest of the day after that - I'm also staying within my calorie goal or if I'm over, it's usually another 200 calories or less

What are your struggles with food? There are certainly foods I don't like (vegetables) that I should eat more of and foods that I should eat less of but I'm trying. I had bulimia from the time I was a sophomore in high school until I was 24 or 25. For me, it's making sure I don't become obsessive about food again.

What are your successes with exercise? I've done something, whether it's zumba for xbox 360 or walked at least 2 or 3 times a week and that's more than I've done for a long while.

What are your struggles with exercise? Motivating myself. Once I finish I'm so much happier and feel good but it's getting to that point where I don't have to do so much motivating to do something.

Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? My pants are fitting better and also I spent a weekend away at my daughter's dance competition and I did well with eating. I was worried but it ended up being okay. I felt and ate like a thin person and it felt good.

Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you! justdietnow.com has a great restaurant guide so you can get the calorie content for restaurants and you can plan ahead
  • notjustthefatgirl
    Options
    Starting weight (SW) 308.8
    Current Weight (CW) 292
    Goal Weight (GW) 150 at least... Will re-evaluate at that time. Although I won't lie, when I get down to 200 I might just throw myself a party!!!!
    What are your successes with food? I gave up Soda on January 8th. Cold turkey. Increased my water. Feels good. Increased fruits and veggies as well.
    What are your struggles with food? Bread.. I love bread.. I could eat all my calories every day in bread. I don't buy it often anymore so then my next struggle is simply overeating. I love food!!
    What are your successes with exercise? When I exercise I feel great!!
    What are your struggles with exercise? Getting my *kitten* up and moving!!!!!!!!!
    Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? I recently went to see my lady doctor after about five years, and feel like we're starting a plan for my hormone imbalances which is a big deal for me, so I feel positive about that.
    Products, websites, or other things you've found? Share links if we can join you! So far just really trying to find motivation from this site. I am a member of multiple PCOS websites as I suffer from that. Haven't tried any products that really are worth mentioning. I have been on Weight Watchers multiple times.. This past time doesn't seem to be motivating me, but we'll see.

Feel free to add me! Looking for other positive people to learn from and it's always nice feeling like I'm not alone!! :)

Best wishes, xx
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm still here I've probably been a bit quiet lately as I've had some personal issues to deal with :(

SW: 242 lbs (110kg)
    CW: 222 lbs (101kg - 1kg till first goal)
    GW: haven't set one as such though hoping for at least 20kg loss - making short 10kg goals for starters.

Successes: kicked chocolate, soft drink and fast food habits, now drink mostly lots of water and try to pick healthier options as much as possible.

Struggles: not turning to food when I'm upset (which has happened a bit lately) and fitting in enough exercise.

NSVs: 2 inches off waist & hips, clothes getting a *little* looser.

Products / websites etc. : haven't found any yet sorry. Looking into getting a 2nd hand treadmill or elliptical if I can find one I can afford.

Well done to everyone btw, sounds like you're all doing great - keep it up! :smile:
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    NEWBIE HERE! lol

Starting weight (SW) 281
    Current Weight (CW) 275
    Goal Weight (GW) 199 (for now
    What are your successes with food? I've "divorced" some foods, like Mrs. Buttersworth and ALL fast food restaurants and soda.
    What are your struggles with food? I'm a home cook and I LOVE our food made from scratch. I'm eating within my calorie limits but seeing others' diaries, makes me feel I could make better use of my calories at times.
    What are your successes with exercise? Haven't started yet.
    What are your struggles with exercise? Knowing I SHOULD start and yet I don't have the motivation yet. I will though...and start slowly. I seem to have a difficult time deciding WHAT TIME OF DAY I should exercise and then force myself to do it!
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SW 314
    CW 282
    GW 140

My successes with food are staying on top of logging, staying within calorie limits, and keeping my carbs to reasonable levels for my PCOS and diabetes. Also, I gave up diet coke (unless I'm eating out) insofar as I don't buy it or drink it at home anymore.

My struggle with food is not getting enough calories (I never thought that would be a struggle).

My successes with exercise is getting in some kind of cardio five days per week. Also, I'd have to say being more active with my family.

My struggle with exercise is trying to fit in longer workouts. I do 30 minutes per day five days per week. My doctor would like to see me at 60-90 minutes.

NSV: I joined a biggest loser competition here on base with two friends. I would have never done that before. I also managed to stay on track with eating and exercising whilst on vacation in Vegas. And, I made it through Girl Scout cookie season without buying any cookies for myself. :)

Yoplait caramel honey frozen greek yogurt bars are my favorite thing to curb my sweet tooth: http://www.yoplait.com/products/yoplait-frozen-yogurt

I enjoyed catching up on how you all are doing. Glad to be doing this with such amazing ladies!!
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Starting weight (SW) 310
    Current Weight (CW) 302.4
    Goal Weight (GW) 170

What are your successes with food? I stop eating more often when I am full instead of being a member of the clean plate club.

What are your struggles with food? Eating when I am bored. Choosing whatever is on the counter when I am hungry (usually it's junk food. Not planning meals to make sure we eat healthy.

What are your successes with exercise? I've been doing yoga 1-2 times a week pretty regularly. I also just started doing Zumba

What are your struggles with exercise? Finding the time to do cardio. I'm gone for work 13-14 hours a day. By the time I get home and take care of my "mom duties" I'm worn out and often don't have the motivation to do cardio.

Any NSVs (non scale victories) to share? My ankle doesn't hurt as much anymore.

I started (again) with many of you in January. Unfortunately, I wasn't very careful about what I ate. I have lost a little weight which is better than gaining. I had an "aha" moment last week. I have really bad acid reflux. My doctor told me that I need to lose at least 25 pounds to see I can get it under control on my own. I'm currently on medication for it everyday. I need to get off the daily medication so I really have motivation to lose the weight. Now I just have to not see tracking as a boring chore.