Elliptical workouts

Options
Hi guys :) I am new to the group and just starting out on a diet/workout routine. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success with elliptical workouts? I am a stay at home mom, I have a soon to be 3 year old and a 5 month old, I am super busy every day and rarely have time to workout, my husband got me an elliptical recently so I can workout from home on my own time, I do about an hour a day working out on it, plus I am eating healthy, is an hour a day enough combined with a good diet?

Replies

• restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, It a great work out. with my kids I can not find time to go to the gym. only thing I have done are walks, dvd and elliptical. if your on it for a hour that is a great burn.
  • Aidensmommy2010
    Aidensmommy2010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That makes me feel much better about it :) I read a blog recently and a BUNCH of people were saying they saw no results with their ellipticals :( so I got kind of worried. I'll keep it up and see what happens!
  • lazy8ee
    lazy8ee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    90% of my workout is from the elliptical machine. I love it, it don't hurt my knees.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an eliptical in so long, but it is a cardi workout so I don't see why it would not help! Maybe try to add in some strength training though? I have always been told that strength training really helps burn fat and doing some cardio after strength training is double the greatness. I used to take Body Pump and then hit the eliptical for 30 minutes afterwards.
  • theonlychuck
    theonlychuck Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    aideensmommy20 we should be friends lol, i too have a 3 year old and now a 9 month old! i also have no time for the gym and i got an elliptical after my youngest however i can barley do 5 min on the elliptical. im so out of shape im trying so hard to get on and stay on how did you build up to an hour?? what a burn!!!
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical every day! I LOVE IT! It is one of the few work out equipments that will work your full body. And if you add a little hip movement to it while working out it is an additive to the burn!

When I first started going to the gym I did the elliptical, then the bike and finished off with the treadmill every day. After time the treadmill started wearing on my knee really bad (I stabbed myself in the knee last October. Don't ask very stupid story!!) Anywho. So I noticed the elliptical was great on my knee no pain what so ever.

Now I push out 33-66-99 minutes a day depending on the day with the elliptical without any issues at all! I totally love it. It is such a fun machine to me!
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical!! I have a manual one that folds up so I move it from room to room depending on where I want to work out. I break a sweat in ten minutes or so... That makes me think that it is working!!
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I love the elliptical. i have knee issues and cnat run so its an awesome workout for me. I burn a lot of calories on there and if you move your arms with it youu get even more benefits. An hour is awesome.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That makes me feel much better about it :) I read a blog recently and a BUNCH of people were saying they saw no results with their ellipticals :( so I got kind of worried. I'll keep it up and see what happens!

Also think about trying interval training on it. You can burn more in a shorter period of time and I tend to find it enjoyable to alternate cardio and interval.

You can google interval training for more info, but here's one blog post about the differences:
    http://www.shapingconcepts.com/blog/the-senseless-debate/
  • ahammo00
    ahammo00 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great job. They say you burn double on an elliptical than on a tredmill. Great job on that hour.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Did they use the elliptical to work out or to hang up their dry cleaning?