Bench press without bench?

Options
I'm starting the Stronglifts program and I plan on mostly working out at home. I have a barbell and weight plates up to 100 pounds, but no bench. Can I do the bench press on the floor instead? Would it be as effective? The gym that I go to (Lucille Roberts) has a barbell, but no extra weighted plates. What is another way I can do it?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    It's not a bench press without a bench - a bench is actually REALLY cheap. Brand new they are 100 or less, used you may be able to grab one for 30.

There's really not a great alternative but you can do push-ups or floor presses for the first couple sessions until you get a bench.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the floor would get in the way in multiple ways. It would keep your elbows from going down low enough, and you wouldn't be able to set your legs properly...yeah, lots of issues, there.

I agree with Tameko, look for a bench. You can often get them on good sales, too, and then there are all the used ones from people who don't work out anymore. Or if you know someone handy you could possibly get a simple one built. (But that may not be cheaper in the long run, anyways.)
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to do mine lying on a step that was usually used for Step Aerobics.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So not ideal for increasing weight but while I was looking for a bench and only playing with 20lb dumbbells I would set up my kitchen chairs in a way that I could lye down on them using three and leaving a space for my arms to fall but making sure my head, shoulders and butt were on a chair..

Also, this is terrible advice, but it's what I did. Be careful.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Buy a bench. With a stand that you can rest the bar on and pick it up from while lying down. Don't take chances on injuring yourself by doing the movements incorrectly or by risking a bar and plates landing on your chest or whatever. I'd just rather skip the bench presses altogether and worry about them later.

Do push-ups in the meantime like Tameko suggested. You can start doing those angled against a wall or a piece of very sturdy furniture and then decrease the angle over time until you're horizontal. That's the same thing as going up in weight for bench presses.

Ain't no program worth hurting yourself over.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So not ideal for increasing weight but while I was looking for a bench and only playing with 20lb dumbbells I would set up my kitchen chairs in a way that I could lye down on them using three and leaving a space for my arms to fall but making sure my head, shoulders and butt were on a chair..

haha, I was thinking about mentioning some kind of chair set up (because in my head I could see how it MIGHT be possible) but then I thought "wait...that's a terrible idea...."
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

haha, I was thinking about mentioning some kind of chair set up (because in my head I could see how it MIGHT be possible) but then I thought "wait...that's a terrible idea...."

Yeah, me too.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I've used a Rubbermaid Bin for a bench once....and also had my 35lb son sit on my shoulders to do squats once. Nothing like a wiggling weight during squats. Sometimes you just have to improvise.
  • BonitaAppleBon
    Options
    *Sighs* Ok I guess I'll just wait to till I get my bench and space to put it! (Hopefully within a month)

I was trying to figure out if I should do StrongLifts program first or NROL4W. Since I need a bench and I want to do it right, I'll start with the NROL4W!

Thanks everyone for your help!