need advice for my next marathon

Options
I finished my first marathon this past Sunday, I was shooting for a 3h35min finish time (based on pace calculators which predicted a finish time of 3h25min) but finished in 3h53min, I followed the advanced marathoning training schedule, I did the best I could but had to make some adjustment due to my work and family, my first 18 miles were great my pace was 8 min/mile then I started having leg cramps and my pace slowed down significantly after mile 22 (12:45 min/mile), I would like to be able to finish my next one in 3h35min or better, any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    by the way my next one would be in October, marine corps marathon in DC.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Can you summerize how you trained? Length of runs, paces, speed work etc. That's a really good time, congrats
  • fasterandbetter
    Options
    I ran an average of 50-60 miles a week which include long runs once a week between 14 to 20 miles (I did two 20 miles runs during training), most of my other runs were between 6 to 10 miles, unfortunately did not do much lactate threshold runs or speed work, I did some pace runs the longest was 8 miles.
    one more thing that I want to point out is that I did not use any extra energy gels during the race except what was provided at the water stations.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Keep your base at 45 to 55 miles per week. That will give you more benefit than anything else for your next marathon. My first was about like yours. Feeling good through 20, then slowly started to slide. Classic bonk. Every mile after 20 was slower than the previous one. After that one, I kept my base in the range I just suggested and I killed it in the second one, running negative splits and grabbing a huge PR. Mileage over time is the key to successful marathon running.
    by the way my next one would be in October, marine corps marathon in DC.
    This was my first marathon. The logistics of getting out of there SUCK! Get your ticket for the subway before the race or else you might be waiting for a VERY long time. Also, finishing before the 4 hour mark will help a great deal.

A better idea would be come come north and run Baltimore with me. :wink:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    @Carson, I was just going to ask about a maintenance plan. It will be MCM for me as well (assuming I get in!) Logistics for R&R last weekend were pretty interesting too...Thanks for the post, and thanks to fasterandbetter for asking the question for me! :smile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Learning to race marathon correctly is tricky business. Those calculators can you lead you in the wrong direction, especially on your first race. In hindsight, your goal was too ambitious. Perfect for 20 miles, but too fast for 26.2

I can tell once you figure it all out, there is nothing better than passing all the runners who are bonking over the last few miles.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I can tell once you figure it all out, there is nothing better than passing all the runners who are bonking over the last few miles.
    Amen!
  • fasterandbetter
    Options
    I agree I was too ambitious, but it is ambition that drives us, Thanks Carson will follow your advice and keep a good running base, I may come north and run baltimore who knows :)
  • fasterandbetter
    Options
    @Carson, I was just going to ask about a maintenance plan. It will be MCM for me as well (assuming I get in!) Logistics for R&R last weekend were pretty interesting too...Thanks for the post, and thanks to fasterandbetter for asking the question for me! :smile:

See you at the MCM and good luck with your training
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    one more thing that I want to point out is that I did not use any extra energy gels during the race except what was provided at the water stations.

This may have been one of your problems. I will take a gel about every 45 minutes during a marathon which is still lower than a lot of the recommendations out there. My last full I also did a little bit of Galloway by walking when I took aid; I usually take water around the 8 mile mark and then every 4-ish miles after.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I agree I was too ambitious, but it is ambition that drives us, Thanks Carson will follow your advice and keep a good running base, I may come north and run baltimore who knows :)

Trust me, I went out too fast and figured I'd just try to hang on at my first 8 or 9 marathons. I finally got my goals in line with my training/current level of fitness. Not easy being this smart...
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Trust me, I went out too fast and figured I'd just try to hang on at my first 8 or 9 marathons. I finally got my goals in line with my training/current level of fitness. Not easy being this smart...

Yeah, the marathon has no respect for personal ambitions. :)