Any 50 plus (age) women here?

dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
Just curious if there are any women 50 and over doing this workout. I have been stalking this group for a while and in the middle of doing the original NROL. I want to switch over but just want to know if you are over 50 or not even what are your results as far as weight loss, body change and belly fat.

Thanks.

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I'm 49 1/2 would that count? :wink:
  • dafoots0911
    Yes. LOL! How are you doing with it? Do you mind posting your experience, weight loss - gain, if any or body changes.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Hi there

I am 56 and been doing SL for 8 weeks. Today I just deadlifted my body weight at 161 lbs.

Lifting is awesome. I have never felt so well, so strong and so 'sexy' with the new body that lifting has given me in just a short space of time.

I am in the size of clothes I thought I could only ever dream of again, but I am still 10 lbs of my initial target weight. Now have a choice of staying where I am or still losing the extra and going down a size further.

I workout at home in my home gym in a spare room and have learnt correct form just from watching the many videos online and the helpful information in this group.

I wish I had discovered this earlier. If I can do this, anybody can. Health issues may be a barrier, but age itself is no barrier to lifting heavy. I hope to be doing this for many years to come.

ETA weight stats - although not linear, overall I have continued to lose 1 lb a week whilst lifting.
  • dafoots0911
    Wow, 161. That's incredible. I have been doing NROL the original and getting kind of bored. Sandra, are you doing any other workouts? How is your diet? Got many questions and hope you don't mind my asking.

How many times a week do you do it?
    How long is your workout?
    What weight did you start your deadlift at?

I need motivation because I am easily bored and if I can get it in and go, I'm good.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    I'm over 50 and looking for a strength training program to do on my own. I have had a personal trainer off and on for years. I've read NROLFW, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'm more intermediate to advanced level, but I haven't worked in the squat rack or lifted heavy. I have quite a bit of body fat and weight to lose, about 50 pounds, and I want to lose and tone as much as possible during the process. Help!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I'm over 50 and looking for a strength training program to do on my own. I have had a personal trainer off and on for years. I've read NROLFW, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'm more intermediate to advanced level, but I haven't worked in the squat rack or lifted heavy. I have quite a bit of body fat and weight to lose, about 50 pounds, and I want to lose and tone as much as possible during the process. Help!

What are you looking for? Strength gains? Endurance gains? Lighter weights and more reps, or heavier weights and less reps?

NROLFW is a decent lifting program that's scalable. It's a bit too involved for my personal taste because I prefer things simple but it's certainly good.

If you're wanting to lift heavy old school style (squats, deadlifts, bench presses etc) then there are quite a few programs out there such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength, All Pro's etc. All else fails, tailor one to your needs (based on available equipment, personal fitness goals, etc). Alternately you can follow a body weight program that includes push-ups, pull-ups etc.

There's really no such thing as "toning", and the best way to get a more muscular, tighter look along with gaining strength is to lift something other than a 10-pound dumbbell and progressively increase the weight over time.

Either way I'd highly recommend you read Starting Strength because NROLFW is lacking when it comes to teaching proper form for lifts. Alternately, look up Mark Rippetoe's videos on Youtube.

Good on you for wanting to lift! That's awesome!

Here's something I found on these forums that is super informative:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition

I personally did Starting Strength for a month (3x5, increasing weight weekly) and found I wanted to move more towards endurance rather than pure strength so I switched to All Pro's. Stronglifts is a solid program that's proven to work and get results. So just study up, pick one and go for it. :smile:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Wow, 161. That's incredible. I have been doing NROL the original and getting kind of bored. Sandra, are you doing any other workouts? How is your diet? Got many questions and hope you don't mind my asking.

How many times a week do you do it?
    How long is your workout?
    What weight did you start your deadlift at?

I need motivation because I am easily bored and if I can get it in and go, I'm good.

No problem. I love talking about lifting, could do it all day long as its my passion now.

Stronglifts 5 x 5 is very simple and easy to follow. You alternate between two sessions A & B. You lift every other day maximum. I lift on Mon, Wed and Fri and on the other days I 'try' to do some very light cardio on treadmill or at least take my dog for a fairly long walk. But that's it, I do nothing else - literally. My workout initially on lower weights used to take around 30 mins, but as weight increased and rests in between need to be more, it is now taking me about 55/60 minues - plus the time for body warm up routine before and stretching routine after.

As I had to buy a smaller bar to fit into the space available in my house!!! it weighs less than the Oly bar. I was therefore able to start really low - I think around 45 lbs in total. If you are using an Oly bar for yours, you will have to start heavier as bar itself weighs 35 or 45 lbs and you need to add plates for it to sit on the floor. Think usual is 65 lbs and it is easily doable even at early stage. I flew through the lower weights at the beginning.

If you want to send me an FR so we can chat and do questions etc, please feel free. Always welcome lifting buddies :flowerforyou:
  • dafoots0911
    What are you looking for? Strength gains? Endurance gains? Lighter weights and more reps, or heavier weights and less reps?

NROLFW is a decent lifting program that's scalable. It's a bit too involved for my personal taste because I prefer things simple but it's certainly good.

If you're wanting to lift heavy old school style (squats, deadlifts, bench presses etc) then there are quite a few programs out there such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength, All Pro's etc. All else fails, tailor one to your needs (based on available equipment, personal fitness goals, etc). Alternately you can follow a body weight program that includes push-ups, pull-ups etc.

There's really no such thing as "toning", and the best way to get a more muscular, tighter look along with gaining strength is to lift something other than a 10-pound dumbbell and progressively increase the weight over time.

Either way I'd highly recommend you read Starting Strength because NROLFW is lacking when it comes to teaching proper form for lifts. Alternately, look up Mark Rippetoe's videos on Youtube.

Good on you for wanting to lift! That's awesome!

Here's something I found on these forums that is super informative:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition

I personally did Starting Strength for a month (3x5, increasing weight weekly) and found I wanted to move more towards endurance rather than pure strength so I switched to All Pro's. Stronglifts is a solid program that's proven to work and get results. So just study up, pick one and go for it. :smile:

Thanks for this. I think that is my problem. I am doing NROL the original and it is involved so much that I think why I am burning out. I am really considering this program. Simple is better. Will let everyone know when I start.
  • dafoots0911
    [

No problem. I love talking about lifting, could do it all day long as its my passion now.

Stronglifts 5 x 5 is very simple and easy to follow. You alternate between two sessions A & B. You lift every other day maximum. I lift on Mon, Wed and Fri and on the other days I 'try' to do some very light cardio on treadmill or at least take my dog for a fairly long walk. But that's it, I do nothing else - literally. My workout initially on lower weights used to take around 30 mins, but as weight increased and rests in between need to be more, it is now taking me about 55/60 minues - plus the time for body warm up routine before and stretching routine after.

As I had to buy a smaller bar to fit into the space available in my house!!! it weighs less than the Oly bar. I was therefore able to start really low - I think around 45 lbs in total. If you are using an Oly bar for yours, you will have to start heavier as bar itself weighs 35 or 45 lbs and you need to add plates for it to sit on the floor. Think usual is 65 lbs and it is easily doable even at early stage. I flew through the lower weights at the beginning.

If you want to send me an FR so we can chat and do questions etc, please feel free. Always welcome lifting buddies :flowerforyou:

Thanks Sandra, I did send you a message. I am going to finish up this stage of NROL original and start strong lifts. Keeping it simple is what I like. I can do other things that I like in between the workouts.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I know I'm chiming in late now, sorry.

I started looking at doing SL about a month ago. I spent a few weeks doing bodyweight squats and working on form as per Starting Strength because I have a bad knee. I did the rest of the lifting which I was already familiar with. Last week I started adding weight to my squats, so I've only been doing it 'officially' for a week.

The program is simple to remember and to begin. It gets hard quickly --- it isn't hard for me yet, but I am rather experienced with weightlifting and I know it will be hard soon enough.

I already feel more powerful in my glutes and hamstrings and more solidly attached to the ground. I've already noticed that carrying in the groceries is easier.

I've got a lot of weight to lose and have been losing steadily throughout so far. My diary is open and you can see what I eat and when I work out.

Hope this helps some!
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Hi, and welcome. I am 52 and have been lifting since adout last Aug., and have seen all the classic improvements it can bring. I have not done any other programs, but this one is so straight forward, I think you'll enjoy it as a change.

I have lifted through shoulder, knee and hip problems, and go more slowly on my increases, but am happy with my progress all the same. It can still be done!
  • dafoots0911
    I know I'm chiming in late now, sorry.

I started looking at doing SL about a month ago. I spent a few weeks doing bodyweight squats and working on form as per Starting Strength because I have a bad knee. I did the rest of the lifting which I was already familiar with. Last week I started adding weight to my squats, so I've only been doing it 'officially' for a week.

The program is simple to remember and to begin. It gets hard quickly --- it isn't hard for me yet, but I am rather experienced with weightlifting and I know it will be hard soon enough.

I already feel more powerful in my glutes and hamstrings and more solidly attached to the ground. I've already noticed that carrying in the groceries is easier.

I've got a lot of weight to lose and have been losing steadily throughout so far. My diary is open and you can see what I eat and when I work out.

Hope this helps some!
    Thanks for your response. Sent you a friend request. Need all the "Mature Women" friends I can get once I start this program.
  • dafoots0911
    Hi, and welcome. I am 52 and have been lifting since adout last Aug., and have seen all the classic improvements it can bring. I have not done any other programs, but this one is so straight forward, I think you'll enjoy it as a change.

I have lifted through shoulder, knee and hip problems, and go more slowly on my increases, but am happy with my progress all the same. It can still be done!
    Vegannlg, you are an inspiration. I will send you a friend request because I have knee problems -- not serious but I think the worry has hindered my progress in lifting heavy. I know I need to start slow and work my way up. As I posted earlier need all the "Mature Women" doing this program as friends because I will have questions.
  • DaniH826
    As I posted earlier need all the "Mature Women" doing this program as friends because I will have questions.

I'm 45 and maybe a little "less mature" than others, but feel free to add me also. :wink:
  • dafoots0911
    As I posted earlier need all the "Mature Women" doing this program as friends because I will have questions.

I'm 45 and maybe a little "less mature" than others, but feel free to add me also. :wink:
    Will dol
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member

Score one for being LESS mature, with you there. It's a really good day when you have a TEENAGER tell you to "grow up!" :laugh:
  • DaniH826
    Score one for being LESS mature, with you there. It's a really good day when you have a TEENAGER tell you to "grow up!" :laugh:

Yea I've heard that from my kids at times too.

So I like being goofy, and?

So I like embarrassing my kids in public, and?

So hubby and I love grossing our kids out with our TMI stories, and?

I don't see the problem here.

:laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Better late than never, I suppose. :bigsmile:

I'll be 48 in June.

I will probably never be mature, tho, LOL...
  • dafoots0911
    Ladies, I am 54 and doing NROL original. I am bored or should I say I hate some of the other workouts, i.e., lunges, front squats. I love the step-ups but the 5x5 seems more simplified. I don't want a lot of mass, just more muscle and less fat. So I hope this is the program for me.

I appreciate all of you ladies who have responded to my posts and look forward to comparing and posting my results. I plan to start in 2 weeks but who knows, I'm menopausal and might change my mind and start sooner.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    The simplicity of the program is what reeled me in. It's not too much to try and remember, and that helps. I don't like complicated workouts. :laugh: