Updates 13 Mar 13

Options
samcorvus
samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
Group,

So...how're you doing?

I'm looking for up dates on how your plans are going.

At present I'm five lbs from contract weight. Plan to be contracted by the end of March beginning of April then ship off six to nine months later.

S,

Replies

• jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I called two recruiters. One yesterday and one today. No answer from either :/. Left messages we will see if try call back. I'm 19 pounds away but based on my measurements I will make tape :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Eh I won't enlist til 2015, BUT I workout six days a week and I'm getting eating right down now. I'm gonna be a beast when 2015 gets here!
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was taped and i need to lose 1 1/2 inches from my waist since I am only feet because when I was weighed, i was over.
    For my height, I believe 127 is the max.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Good luck :) I'm a short guy too (stupid asian genes) so its harddddd

Wow sam, congrats man! That's crazy...can't believe you've come so far in a short amount of time. Im so jealous >:) What workouts have you been doing. What's your meals like.
  • samcorvus
    Options
    I eat primal, I run, I swim, I lift heavy things.

Went to the recruiters last Friday. The USN was completely uninterested in me until I mentioned I had a bachelors degree. Then he perked up but said he could not do anything for me until I lost another 20ish lbs or 5ish inches on my waist. The USMC said the same thing but also told me to come pt with them. The USAF basically told me that even if I brought my own jet they could not enlist me for a year because of so few open slots.

So new goals....
  • daybehavior
    Options
    LOL. Yeah those AF *kitten* -_- I'm glad I have my bachelors now! I think that's cool the USMC asked you to PT with them :) Will be interesting to see which branch you end up...
  • jenwoods87
    jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat Sam. Blah! The Navy didn't seem like they wanted anything to do with me as I'm still a bit over weight..even though I assured them I would make tape. They said to call back in another 15 pounds. WTF...like wouldn't even meet with me! The AF was super nice though...he was awesome. He said my weight was a little bit of a problem, but since they do take a little longer to get all the processing and down to MEPS that he had faith that I would lose it by then. So I'm meeting with them. Honestly, after the way the USN kinda just shut me down...I don't really have that great of an interest anymore with them. :/. We shall see...I am going to meet with the AF next week and maybe call a different Navy recruiter and see what they say.
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    The Navy recruiter...I wish I could stab him in the face for being a bigger a-hole than the Army guy. At least Army made pretty clear upfront that he's not really interested in my geriatric *kitten* or helping me meet standards to enlist. The Navy guy tells me that my heart murmur is automatically disqualifying (it isn't) because STUFF could happen to it! I have mitral valve prolapse, do not have a cardiologist, do not take medication, and have never been counseled to take anything easy because of it. I know I have MVP because a MILITARY doctor found it while doing my physical for AF Academy in high school. The AF didn't care about it.

He loudly asks me my weight in front of two other potential recruits, nevermind I told him I needed to be weighed & taped when I went in. Then he tells me I weigh too much (duh!) and when I say that I'm aiming to pass tape, he says, "at this weight, you'd never pass tape anyway." I tell him he'd be surprised (I develop muscle like crazy) & he says, "maybe. I don't know much about women's bodies."

He says there's nothing the Navy can do for me & pretty much bye. I ask if I can get taped anyway since I can see the lady who tapes me for Army (no female Army recruiters to tape me) in her office. He tells me she's busy & to come back later, and turns back to the kid he has sitting in front of him.

Rage doesn't describe what I felt going back to my car. I went to Navy's website & did an online chat with a recruiter who was HONEST about not knowing answers & that only a doctor to make the final determination. When I explained what I'd gone through & that I'd be 35 in a month, he had me call him and very kindly told me that I had to be out of basic before I turned 35. Also, 41 is the cut off for some jobs if you go the officer route with a college degree.

He was very understanding & couldn't believe the treatment I got when all I wanted were answers to questions, like can I even enlist. He's taking my experience up his chain of command, because of COURSE I gave him the office location when he asked. Then he apologized again for my experience & wished me luck.

Going to rage for a bit more & then go running.
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Holy crap WTF. I dont even know if could enlist in the Navy even if I wanted to? O_o Sorry that happened to you. So I guess the Reserves are your only option now?
  • nytefalle
    Options
    I'm still holding out for active duty Army. As long as I can be on the way to BCT by my 35th birthday, I'm eligible.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    nytefall, I am so sorry about the sucky manner in which you were treated! lame. As for me, on wednesday, a navy recruiter finally called me. I decided I am switching to navy. That is what I wanted in the first place. I have no idea why i even went to the army recruiter. my dad is retired navy and I have been enthralled ever since. I talked to a recruiter online via navy.com I am in the correct age/weight requirement, which I don't understand how I wasn't for the army, but we will see what happens because I see the navy recruiter on tuesday.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this happens a lot more than you realize. Especially with the branches trying to down size the way they are, some recruiters are just plain butt heads. Having not been military before, I understand why you didn't go up the chain but I would have asked to speak to his chief and reported him for poor customer service.

That being said, the MEPS doctors have the final say. So it all depends on them, and they go by the book. Just make sure that when you go you have all the doctor notes and stuff with you for them to review. Trust me, you don't want to make it all the way to MEPS and get turned down because of a missing form.
  • nytefalle
    Options
    Sadly, this happens a lot more than you realize. Especially with the branches trying to down size the way they are, some recruiters are just plain butt heads. Having not been military before, I understand why you didn't go up the chain but I would have asked to speak to his chief and reported him for poor customer service.

That being said, the MEPS doctors have the final say. So it all depends on them, and they go by the book. Just make sure that when you go you have all the doctor notes and stuff with you for them to review. Trust me, you don't want to make it all the way to MEPS and get turned down because of a missing form.

I'm non-confrontational by habit and articulate better when I have a chance to cool off. I also, at times, get so mad there are tears, which some people will take for weakness. It's less weakness & more me not physically assaulting someone. Conversely, people yelling in my face to provoke a reaction get zero tears, so drill sergeants won't be an issue.

The incident has been reported to the recruiter I spoke to on the phone. Navy is still the only branch that can tape me, so I'll have to go back into the office & talk to his supervisor, since she's the only one in this whole town that can do the taping. Making a formal complaint will very likely end up in his file for every promotion board for the rest of his career. He made the mistake in thinking I have no idea how the military works as opposed to being a dependent for 20 years and married to a combat veteran. That's the upside of being "geriatric," I'm not going to let someone younger than me push me around just because he thinks he can.

Everything documenting my MVP is actually in my dependent records made by the Army when I was 17. Army doctors never even bothered to tell me it was MVP, just that it wasn't an issue when they went back to do an EKG while screening me for the Air Force Academy. The AF was more concerned about me getting my wisdom teeth out than the EKG results. My mom bullied the Army into making a full copy of my medical records for me just before I aged out of being a dependent at 24, so they're welcome to rifle through those all they want. All my civilian records are from over 5 years ago in a different state and I have copies of none of them.
  • samcorvus
    Options
    The man I talked to was the chief...reporting him to himself seems somewhat...unproductive....
  • nytefalle
    Options
    The man I talked to was the chief...reporting him to himself seems somewhat...unproductive....

He still has a chain of command. Here's how to go past him. Just copy/paste.

http://www.ig.navy.mil/contacts/IGOffices/IG Offices (COMNAVCRUITCOM).htm

Each branch has the same. Just google the Recruit Command or Inspector General for the branch of service.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm new to the group and a hopeful future Air Force or Marine officer. I graduate in a year and have until then to get my mind and body in shape.
  • pooleebarbara
    pooleebarbara Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've started my couch to 5k program and am officially on week 2 of it. A marine recruiter actually asked about me yesterday, and told my baby brother to have me come to the poolee meetings so that they can help me drop these 60lbs.

I have to say after reading some of these recruiter horror stories, I'm glad that we have good USMC recruiters here in ohio. He didn't care that I was overweight and couldn't run to catch a bus, he wants to help.

Good luck everyone! I'll update here soon!