Hello! Let's get introduced!

Options
Hey, so I just started this group and I'm pretty excited to meet some new people in Columbus! I've been living and working in Columbus for almost 2 years. My husband and I just bought a house last year so we're here to stay! I just started going to Zumba and using myfitnesspal again. Serious about getting healthy! I like to cook (especially baking) so I'll probably create a new topic with some recipes!

Tell me about you!

Replies

• 812many
    812many Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! Name is Thomas. Started using MyfitnessPal this year, but started weight loss prior to using it. Goal is 58lbs and I have lost a total of 41lbs. It's tough fighting urges (food or being lazy). Thanks for the add.
  • kmanon
    kmanon Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Thomas! That's awesome! Congrats on the weight loss! Do you go to a local gym? My husband and I just started going to The Fitness Factory (also known as 812Crossfit). I definitely hear you on fighting urges. My two loves are chocolate and pop which I desperately need to cut back on. And my couch looks entirely too comfy most days.
  • theschwarz60
    Options
    Hello everyone. First of all I want to thank you for the invite. My name is Andreas and I am a German citizen living in the US since 1990. I am married with three amazing children and have been in Columbus for 1 1/2 years now. I have a lot of weight to loose - started at over 320 lbs, and now I am down to just over 300. So, needless to say, I have a lot more to loose. I have used MFP since around Thanksgiving of last year and have not missed a single day. My biggest challenge right now is to get motivated to exercise. I am big at snacking late at night up to just before I go to bed.

Well anyway, that's the short of it. It is nice to meet everyone.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Beth. I've been in Columbus since May, 1988 and work out at Ceraland (hubby works at Cummins and we live 5 minutes from there). I've been using MFP since early Sept. 2012 - have lost 26 pounds, but now the last 9 or so are being really stubborn! I'm not giving up, though. I'm 50 years old and we are empty nesters. We have 2 sons that are doing very well.
  • kmanon
    Options
    Hi Andreas! Looks like we're both pretty new to the Columbus area :) That is really impressive that you haven't missed a day on MFP! Wow. I keep falling off for a week or two then coming back so that's really awesome. Exercise is definitely hard to get motivated for, I hear you there. Do you go to a gym or have a workout buddy? I have found that has helped me a lot but then again, I've only been working out for about 2 weeks. I have about 20 lbs I want to lose. I think it's really awesome that you want to change your life and get healthy! I think a group like this will really help us all to stay motivated.

Hi Beth! That's great about your weight loss. I think MFP is such a great way to help with that. I recently got a Fitbit which tracks your steps, number of stairs climbed and even sleep. I love it because of the goals and achievements. It also syncs with MFP and you can compete with friends. Something like that might be a good way to shed a few more pounds.

I'm really excited that people are actually joining the group so thank you so much for accepting the invite!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth! That's great about your weight loss. I think MFP is such a great way to help with that. I recently got a Fitbit which tracks your steps, number of stairs climbed and even sleep. I love it because of the goals and achievements. It also syncs with MFP and you can compete with friends. Something like that might be a good way to shed a few more pounds.

I'm really excited that people are actually joining the group so thank you so much for accepting the invite!

I have a Fitbit one on the way right now! I recently bought one for both of my parents and for my husband. I was going to wait for the new Fitbit Flex that comes out this Spring, but decided to go ahead and get the same one instead. I'm looking forward to using it!
  • kmanon
    Options
    I really love my fitbit! I'm a little disappointed that I have the old one. I'd love it if I could sync it using the bluetooth on my phone! Oh well :) You can add me on there if you'd like. My e-mail is karamanon@gmail.com, I think you search by that.
  • citygs7
    citygs7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I'm Deborah and have been using myfitnesspal on and off since late last year. I've lost about 20 pounds and would like to lose about 20 more. Feel as though I'm starting at the beginning though, because I'm not sure what it will take to get back to a weight I have not been since high school. Thanks for starting the group and the invitation!
  • hoperyals
    Options
    Hi. My name is Hope. I am 42 and a wife for 25 years, a mother of 3 (daughters are 8 & 26 and son is 23) and grandmother of 3 ( 6,3 & 6 months). I have been using MFP as an educational tool on my journey to get healthy. I began on Jan 7, 2013 with a 5 day commitment and felt so good that I made a 6 week commitment. I cleared out the junk (processed food) from my pantry, freezer and refrigerator after 2 weeks. After 10 weeks, I have lost 31 lbs (and moved from a size 20 down to a size 14) following the "Eat to Live" lifestyle which is primarily a plant-based diet with 4 or less servings of animal based food a week. I have more energy and feel better than I ever have. My food addictions (cravings and desire for sugar and highly processed foods) are under control for the first time in my life. I actually love eating such nutritious and delicious food. My taste buds have changed and I actually enjoy food more. I am never hungry which is important for my state of mind. My way of life has been radically changed and it has taken time to educate myself, shop, prepare and enjoy the fresh unprocessed food we now eat. As time has progressed, I have found shortcuts and more efficient ways to prepare our food. I don't let perfection get in the way of progress. My husband and 8 year old daughter have joined me on the journey which is very helpful. We are all discovering that when we eat our old favorites, we don't enjoy them like we used to and we feel pretty crummy for a while. Another bonus is that we spend far less on groceries and eating out. My initial goal was 55 lbs but I imagine my body will continue to lose weight until I am where it is comfortably fit and maintainable. I have a ways to go but have been so motivated by how good I feel and how quickly the weight is coming off. I look forward to connecting with others in the Columbus area who are committed to being healthy.
  • kmanon
    Options
    Hi Deborah! It's nice to meet you. It sounds like you're on the right track. In the past, I've been on-again off-again with myfitnesspal but I'm hoping to stick with it and start losing weight again. I think we can all encourage each other in this group!
  • kmanon
    Options
    Wow! That is an amazing story and just since January! I think I could learn a lot from you :) I find it hard trying to find time to eat healthier. When I get home from work, I get ready and go to the gym then I come home and often don't want to cook. I suffer from hypoglycemia so I really do need to do better with what I eat so I don't have blood sugar crashes. Although, after working out for a few weeks, I'm starting to feel better afterwards. Enough that on Monday, I went to the grocery store and bought some foods that were a little bit healthier. My hardest battle has been giving up pop and sweet things (like chocolate). I think as long as I keep my fridge stocked with healthier alternatives, I can do better in that area.

That is really awesome that your family has joined in! I look forward to seeing what you have to share :)