C-section decision

Options
vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I am a third time mom. I'll be 37 on Wednesday. Both of my previous children are c-sections, and my doctor told me he would be willing to let me try a vbac under very strict guidelines and he estimates my success rate at about 15%. Knowing that I can't have an induction, I was originally thinking of scheduling a c-section for the week after my due date and giving myself to that point to go into labor naturally. If I do that though, my doctor would do the c-section and then immediately leave for vacation (his son is graduating the following day), so all follow up care would be from a stranger that doesn't know me or my history. I don't know that I am comfortable with that. If I schedule for the week earlier, it would be just a few days before my due date, but my doctor is covering the rotation at the hospital that weekend, so he would be available the entire time I am in the hospital. I am pretty torn here. What would you guys do?

**my husband and family are totally against me trying a vbac as well, and my assigned nurse through insurance is discouraging my attempt at a vbac

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how "ok" you are with having another c-section vs. having a different doctor handle your immediate aftercare. The latter scenario means you lose a week where you might go into labor on your own and have a successful VBAC, even though your doctor says those chances are slim. The former scenario means getting that extra time to possibly do it on your own but having a different doctor afterwards.

When my son was born, my OB happened to be on call, so she delivered him. I saw other doctors from her practice throughout the next couple of days, though. It was fine. This time there's no guarantee, unless I have a scheduled induction or scheduled c-section, that my OB will deliver this baby. I could get any one of them (I think there are seven of them, total).

I'd love to be able to have my own OB handle delivery again. I have nothing against the other doctors; I just love her! So in your shoes, assuming I was at peace with the possibility of having another c-section, plus having been given the 85% chance of still having one even if I go into labor naturally, I'd probably go for the earlier c-section with my own doctor, since it sounds like you are really set on having him care for you.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a third time mom. I'll be 37 on Wednesday. Both of my previous children are c-sections, and my doctor told me he would be willing to let me try a vbac under very strict guidelines and he estimates my success rate at about 15%. Knowing that I can't have an induction, I was originally thinking of scheduling a c-section for the week after my due date and giving myself to that point to go into labor naturally. If I do that though, my doctor would do the c-section and then immediately leave for vacation (his son is graduating the following day), so all follow up care would be from a stranger that doesn't know me or my history. I don't know that I am comfortable with that. If I schedule for the week earlier, it would be just a few days before my due date, but my doctor is covering the rotation at the hospital that weekend, so he would be available the entire time I am in the hospital. I am pretty torn here. What would you guys do?

**my husband and family are totally against me trying a vbac as well, and my assigned nurse through insurance is discouraging my attempt at a vbac

I'm pretty obstinate, so anyone trying to put me off something I wanted to do would just make me want to do it more. Also I know that as far as childbirth goes, I make the decisions, no doctor can tell me what I am and am not allowed to do. So if it were me I'd be going for a VBAC. But all that matters is that whatever decision you make, it is yours, and not someone else's decision. I have a few friends who've opted for c-sections instead of VBAC's and have always wondered 'what if'. If it makes you feel any better, in the UK, when you give birth, you will have never met the midwife or doctor that ends up delivering you. To me it doesn't really matter, because I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing all the hard work. They're only there to assist me. Even with a homebirth it's unlikely the midwife will be the one I see regularly.
    Just remember the decision is entirely yours, you don't want to have regrets either way or feel pushed into anything. It's your body so do what is right for you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am pretty torn on this one. I still have time to think through this some I guess!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would love to be with the same doctor but where I am with my last pregnancy and my current one they are all co-op pre- natal care etc. You never know who you are going to get or who is going to deliver you. It's kinda sucky altho I will admit at my last delivery by the time it came to delivery I ended up with one of the doctors I had never met but it really didn't matter at that point lol. I can't really say on the c-section part since I've never had one and really don't want to unless it is totally necessary :S they scare me lol. Just matter what is the most important to you, having your own doctor who you are comfortable with or tryin for the chance at a vbac. Good luck either way :flowerforyou:
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    15% is pretty small chance but if youre OK with having the different dr id say schedule the c-section a week after your due date so you could have the vbac chance
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I guess the big question is why do you want to try the VBAC? Do you have demons lurking from previous births that would potentially go away if you had a successful VBAC. Why is the success rate given for VBAC so low? What were the reasons for the previous c sections?

I just had a VBAC, last week. I was told the chance of a successful VBAC was very high, and I was very determined to have one. It was a hard emotional slog, especially as he came a week overdue, not a day passed that week that I didn't get up thinking, if I'd have had a c section I could have had my baby over 2 weeks earlier! But the VBAC experience was a very positive one for me. It did help eliminate a lot of demons I was carrying about my 'ability' to birth. Seems silly now they're gone, but I felt a sense of failure with the c section, and I'm glad I tried for he VBAC. However if the VBAC woud have not been successful I wonder if those demons would have been compounded??

I think as this is your third child, who takes care of you post birth shouldn't be too big a deal, you know most of what's going down anyway!

I think the real call is why you want, and how much you want the VBAC, because 15% success rate could easily be achieved if it's REALLY what you want. I personally would wait the extra week, give baby a chance to come when he/she chooses ... but it's your call ... big decision, good luck x
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would just reccomend going with the safest options... There are reasons why doctors reccomend a C-Section after having 2 already. I would just do thorough research and then discuss all of the options with my doctor...
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My midwive's office has a 72% successful vbac rate. Vbacs can be much more successful with fewer interventions (which obgyns tend to jump on the bandwagon for - which is what I would imagine would drive that rate down). Everything I've heard says that vbacs actually have fewer risks than a repeat c-section. I'd encourage you to look up a local ican chapter for support and more information. http://blog.ican-online.org/tag/vbac/
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Can you meet with the doctor who would cover for yours in an office visit?
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on why he gave you a 15% success probability. Although I am terrified of having a C-section (I'm expecting my first), I think the most important thing to consider is what is best for the baby? That being said, if your doctor thinks the VBAC would be dangerous for the baby or for you, then I'd opt for the scheduled C-section. I'd talk to him about why he doesn't think it's a good idea, and if you aren't satisfied with his reasons, then you could always get a second opinion just to see if another doctor would give you a higher estimated success rate for it, but make sure he/she knows all of your history. It might help you make that decision.