Points vs Counting Calories

Options
krivostead
krivostead Posts: 8 Member
I'm so confused on which direction to go. I've noticed that on MFP, my daily calorie intake is around 1400 and WW points are 26. Yet, they're not equal. My points are less calories than 1400. Plus, on MFP if you exercise, that's included in your day's activities, vs WW could be added to any day of the week? Any tips or advice on how to go about it. I'm worried that if I follow MFP, I'll gain weight.

Replies

• shelleyk34
    shelleyk34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same question!! I've done WW in the past, but never counted calories at the same time. I never realized how few calories you get with WW. I'm hoping someone on here answers your question.
  • TiaTia2003
    TiaTia2003 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too. MFP gives me 1200 per day and I get 26 WW points. I am consistently under my calorie goal but over my daily points. This week I used all my weekly points but MFP showed me as having a calorie deficit. I only lost .2 pounds. Very frustrating. I should have expected this based on my points as I usually maintain when I eat all my weekly points.

I joined MFP to get more motivated to exercise and it has helped with that. That being said, I never eat my exercise calories or points because that's how I've always done it on WW. I'm not a consistent exerciser so I don't want to rely on eating those points. Given all the chatter on these message boards, people would probably tell me that I'm "going in to starvation mode" because I'm not netting my BMI but according to WW I'm already over for the week. It's so confusing.
  • nicole157
    nicole157 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is why I am here! I have been on WW since 5/30/12. I have been losing very slowly and was wondering what my calorie counts were because I am only trained in counting points. I'm only on day 2 of 'double-tracking' (on MFP and WW online) and using all of my daily points, the counts have only been off by about 100 calories. BUT, WW does let you eat activity points and weekly points, so I think I will be way over my calories on days I use these.

so, i am confused, too....however, maybe this is why I have been losing so slowly on WW.
  • shemama1
    shemama1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How many calories are generally in a point? I am struggling really bad right now. On WW I was eating 40 pts. (yes, now you know how much I weigh) lol. Anyway, I was losing at a good clip. When I followed the program. I have many friends who were having success w/MFP, so I quit WW and joined here. But, here I have a limit of 1430 calories, and have only lost .6. I know I am eating healthier using this site because I'm monitoring all my nutrition, where w/WW it was only points, to heck with nutrition. I am very frustrated and considering going back to WW. I'm just wondering what is different? Please offer advice.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i don't think you can do both successfully. i check my calorie count every once in awhile. otherwise i pay for WW i will count. it has taught me so much in the what foods i choose. eat your AP and weeklies if you want to. i normally dip into mine daily. at first i didn't, but, i was still losing so i didn't worry about it. i had been on a plateau since the first of the year. up/down the same 2#s. i made two small changes and one big change, it broke it. you have to twick it to work for you and your lifestyle and body. you have to make it your own personal plan. everyone is so different. sometimes with every 5, 10, or what ever pounds you lose you have to change something. it's not going to work the whole time you lose.
    for me i am allowed 26 pts. i workout 6-7 days a weeks. some days are heavy workouts. all different kinds. cardio, weights, classes. i use the formula of 80 calories burned = 1 pts. this works for me. i wear a HRM to know what i am burning. it's not accurate, but, it's close.
    i have no clue how many pts = a calorie. i do pts and that's it. if i am hungry i eat. protein is your best friend.

good luck.
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    I have 1400 calories a day and 26 WW points. Well today I ate 14 calories over (ate them from working out) and I am at 35 WW points!!!
    I might have to stick with the points because I lost so much more weight with WW then I have with MFP. From March- Nov with WW I lost 35lbs. With MFP From Jan - Now I have lost 5lbs....yeah and I didnt gain much weight back after I quit WW I gained 10lbs back over the course of a little over a year.
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an easy answer here. Points are not equal so it is hard to say how many calories make a point.

Remember: With Weight Watchers you have 49 weekly points that can be used (MFP isn't giving extra weekly calories). Weight Watchers has that all configured into their plan; so if you happen to go over a day - deduct from there. WW also allows activity points.

Also, with Weight Watchers you are not counting a point value for your fruit; on MFP the calories are showing up and being added to your daily calorie intake (where they aren't being added into your WW pt. value). I find that helpful - you may not have to count the points, but seeing how quickly those fruit calories can add up can help you re-think things.

It is probably easiest to go the WW route first, until you have the plan down - then move over to MFP. The healthier you eat the more those calories and points will work out.

You may also want to read thru this thread, if you use Firefox as your web browser you can download a script that will add a point column to MFP (it's the only thing I use Firefox for):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have the script that the lady before me is talking about. I've done WW in the past and lost weight very effectively, but just trying to stick to calorie counting didn't really work for me.

Being able to see the calories and points side by side shows me why WW worked for me! some days, I can eat 1300 calories, and go way over my daily points, but other day I can eat 1300 calories and be right at my daily points, depending on the food choices I make, since certain foods are weighted more (more pointy) based on fiber, fat, carb and protein. I think WW really teaches you how to eat better and make better decisions.

Let's put it this way for example, the other day, I was under calories, but most of the calories came from beer; where on MFP i was still within my calorie goal, using points, I went through all my remaining weeklies, activities and then some into the negative! (I drank a lot that day)....

so it really is just what works for you.