Burned out?

Options
I've been going to crossfit now for a month. I've been going 4-5 times a week. My food intake is good at at least 1800 calories per day. The past couple of days I just have not been excited to go workout. I'm at the point where I can lift more weight and the workouts are kicking my butt. Yesterday there were a lot of thrusters in the WOD and my shoulders and elbows Are SORE. For the first time since I've started I layed on the ground gasping for breath after I finished. I was planning on going this evening but cleaning my house sounds more appealing than presses, deadlifts, and box jumps.

Maybe it's a mental thing at this point. My back was sore Monday and Tuesday from deadlifts and I fell off the box on Tuesday and bashed up my leg. And my shoulders are fried from last night. The combo of 13.2 just doesn't sound fun right now. How often are you all crossfitting and how many rest days are common per week? Anyone else ever feel like this? It has also been a heavy work and personal life week as well...

Replies

• bananapancakebella
    Options
    I believe the normal recommendation is 2-3 days on and 1 day off. More importantly, listen to your body! You won't do it any favors by overtraining or injuring yourself. Remember you get stronger on your rest days! If you feel worn out, take a day or two off. Even three! Seriously, give your body the rest it needs to recover, heal and grow.

Also, every month or two it might be wise to take a week and scale back all the WODs (deloading) to make sure you aren't overtraining
    http://www.tabatatimes.com/how-to-go-from-good-to-great-in-crossfit/
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I believe the normal recommendation is 2-3 days on and 1 day off. More importantly, listen to your body! You won't do it any favors by overtraining or injuring yourself. Remember you get stronger on your rest days! If you feel worn out, take a day or two off. Even three! Seriously, give your body the rest it needs to recover, heal and grow.

Also, every month or two it might be wise to take a week and scale back all the WODs (deloading) to make sure you aren't overtraining
    http://www.tabatatimes.com/how-to-go-from-good-to-great-in-crossfit/

Good article! And you are right that I wouldn't do myself any favors over training. For some reason I feel guilty if I don't workout everyday but that is not the right mindset for something like crossfit.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my shoulder was hurting and I took 5 days off and its feeling better. Been doing the fish oil like I'm suppose to also.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your over doing it - if you aren't enjoying it you should consider cutting down your days. I go 2 x days a week, upping to 3 x days a week in July. CF'ing since July 2012 and still amped about it.
    No point hurting/injuring yourself.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I go 5 days a week - all weekdays - my extra incentive is this way I miss morning rush hour traffic and it's a beautiful morning start for me, but the last few weeks I have skipped one day at least - like the others said, your body will tell you. I skipped Friday this last time and I was dead after today's WOD but was happy I took the extra day off. I'm still psyched to go, but I don't want to end up hurt/hating it either - especially when I finally found someone that doesn't feel like a frickin drag to go to.....(i.e., ugh...have to go to the gym again....ugh....have to do 50 mins of cardio again....blahblah)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've been going 4x a week with some running/cardio another 1-2 days a week. 4 times a week is almost too much for me, because my body doesn't get much rest and is always sore. I'm thinking about scaling back to 3 times a week....
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone is different. I go 5 times a week, but if my body is super sore I'll just go and foam roll and stretch, or lightly row, or go on the spin bike. About every 8 weeks I take an entire week off to allow for more recovery. Thankfully I haven't reached a point where it's getting overwhelming or I'm not excited to go. But sometimes life gets in the way, and stress happens, and Crossfit is the last thing on my mind. But I go...and bam! I feel so much better afterward. I hope you find some sort of balance.
  • tdessert
    tdessert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definately sounds like you just need to mix it up a little. I go 3 days a week, (Tues, Thurs and Sat). I go to my regular gym and do my own thing at least one, sometimes 2 days per week. I fy you feel like you have to work out every day, cut your CF workouts down and try some other types of activity. Running, walking, Zumba, swimming, biking, Yoga. Whatever your thing is!