Should I feel sore

Options
linski24
linski24 Posts: 155 Member
Hi all
I'm in my 4th week of stronglifts 5x5 ... I haven't really increased my weights much as you should but I struggle to sometimes ... In the last 3 weeks I gave only increased my squat by 25lbs, bench press by 10lb and overhead press by less.
Yesterday I tried to increase my bench press and I couldn't get past two reps on the first set so took the weight off again and did it at previous weight which was hard by the end but managed 5x5 .. Today I can't even feel I lifted ... I have no soreness and the stiffness is my lumbar spine ..!!
My question is should I be sore .. Should I feel that I lifted ...??
Is it true that if you're sore the next day or two after are calories still being burned whilst they repair ..?? Therefore mine aren't burning cals because I'm not sore ..!!! ??
I squatted 70lbs ... And I can't tell .. Am I doing it wrong ..??

Incidentally I need an Olympic bar as for my dead lifts and rows I cannot add any more weight to my bar .. Grrrrr

Thanks for reading ... And I hope I don't have to start again .!
Xxxx

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    It is completely normal to not be sore.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    I'm finding whether or not I'm sore has a lot more to do with what I ate than what I lifted.

I've never heard anything about having to be sore to burn calories... so I'm guessing you are doing just fine, keep working hard!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    OP I have the same issue. I've been at it for about 5 or 6 weeks and I'm just now starting to get sore. I'm at:

squat: 125
    bench: 70
    row: 95
    OHP: 60

I've given up deadlifts for now since I can't master the form.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I start week 4 tomorrow. I can not tell if I am sore now except when I do yoga and really stretch then i can really feel it in my thighs. First 2 weeks I was super sore really felt it walking around, sitting and such, and in my armpits with my lifts but the more I do it I don't feel the day to day soreness even with adding weight. I also try to get 100+g protein/day and tons of water.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel sore, even after failing at a lift until I got to much heavier weights. Even now I'm not all that sore. I might be sore after sitting for a long time at my desk, but after moving around for a minute or so, I'm not sore anymore. I did go through an odd period where after working my back, my back would be really warm the next day. It was kind of odd. That's gone away though.
  • linski24
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys ... Don't feel so bad now :-)
    I'm eating 90-100g protein and I also drinks lots of water x
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Nope, I didn't feel sore unless I took a break and then went back to heavy lifting or tried to do too much in one workout or day. Also trying to push through plateaux or stalls might make one sore...or not...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Nope, I didn't feel sore unless I took a break and then went back to heavy lifting or tried to do too much in one workout or day. Also trying to push through plateaux or stalls might make one sore...or not...

yeah this.

Being sore all the time means something is wrong honestly. The soreness should only last a ew weeks and then be an occassional thing.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! I have been wondering myself. I don't feel sore either. Glad to hear it is normal.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get sore, sometimes I don't. No worries!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Agree with above.. soreness is not necessarily an indicator of anything.

But also wanted to add that increasing squat by 25lbs and bench press by 10lb is NO JOKE. Nice work!
  • linski24
    Options
    Oh thank you :-)
    I feel progression is slow as you should add 5lbs every time instead of every week lol
    Thankyou x