HELP! Fast Food and self-sabotage...

Options
jeepermom
jeepermom Posts: 11 Member
Mostly I think I just need to vent at how disappointed and upset with myself I am. Since my surgery, I have continued to eat fast food and drink sweet tea. I had great intentions of meal planning and using the crock pot for myself and my family, but I just haven't gotten my stuff together. I don't get home until about 6:15 and DH gets home about 4:15 with our son so by the time I am getting home they are "STARVING" and want to just grab fast food. I am not putting this on DH or DS...it has been my choice to also eat the fast food rather than eating at home.

But it's not just at home at night - I am not bringing my lunch to work either. And I am snacking. I am really afraid I have already stretched my pouch and I am only 6 months post-op. I have been at the same weight since January.

SO...anyone have any ideas for being strong when the rest of the fam/friends are having fast food or unhealthy food? What are your favorite quick meals and how much are you able to eat now?

Okay, enough whining...back to work and trying to figure out how to get my stuff together...LOL

Thanks for any input!

Kelly

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This may sound more mean than helpful, and I'm really trying to be helpful...

At some point, you just have to change your habits. I can't imagine throwing away a multi-thousand dollar surgery and all the inherent risks that you assumed to have it for some crappy fast food. Drinking sugary drinks, or any calorie-containing liquid, is one of the easiest ways to defeat your sleeve and prevent weight loss.

There isn't a magic trick or a secret to this, and surgery isn't a fix for bad habits and compulsive eating. In simple terms, you just have to make an effort to plan, buy and prep healthy meals for yourself and decide you're not going to eat fast food or drink sweet tea.

Maybe you need to visit your surgeon's office and meet with your team to go over the basic rules again. I found counseling to be very helpful as well. In the end, though, you just need to stop doing the things you shouldn't, and put forth the time and effort to do the things you should.

Most of my sleeve friends spend at least one day a week shopping for food, planning meals, prepping, cooking and packing their food for the week. Maybe you could try that -- it really helps to have everything ready to go in the mornings for work, or in the evenings when you come home.
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a handful of meals that are really fast to prepare. Costco salmon burgers take 20 minutes in the oven once it's preheated (maybe hubby could do start the preheat, esp. if you called to remind him the first few times), cook straight from the freezer so I don't even have to remember to defrost in advance, and I can quickly prepare a couple of sides while they cook. Even faster in the microwave or cooked in a pan on the stovetop. They have premade chicken burgers that are another good high protein, super-fast option. I also use frozen turkey meatballs - add pasta for my husband, just sauce and a little parmesan for me. If you can brainstorm some super-fast options like this, it's a bit easier to deal with the dinner rush. And, you don't have to eat what your family eats. I know it's hard, but if you have some options you LIKE, it's easier. Also, figure out what some GOOD choices are for fast food when you do cave in. You can get good protein options most places - ditch the bun, the fries, the rice, whatever. Focus on the protein.
    For lunch, I'm lucky in that I have a food court in the building with a couple of good options - a salad bar with some protein options on the hot food bar, or a sandwich shop (ditch the bread, eat the lettuce, tomato, and lunchmeat). I also buy salad fixings with some protein (lunch meat, tuna, cold cooked salmon, cottage cheese) over the weekend, and bring the whole shebang to work, and make the salad on my lunch break. I'm WAY more likely to do that than to get a salad assembled in the morning before I leave the house, and I don't like to prep everything on the weekend- some things don't last through the week very well once they've been washed and cut.
    Snacking's a hard one, and a lot of us struggle with it. I find the first few days are really hard when I'm trying to break the habit, but it gets a lot easier by day 4. Those first few days I have a bunch of coping strategies - I go through a LOT of sugarless gum, drink a ton of tea (sugar free) or sugar free hot cocoa or protein drinks, or sugar free apple cider, set a timer after meals to MAKE myself wait before drinking or eating again.
    You can get back on track. For me the key was realizing I couldn't wait until it wasn't a struggle. It wasn't going to happen magically, and I wasn't going to suddenly really want to. I just had to muster together my determination, remind myself of my goals and the rewards of success, and suffer through those first few days.
    Good luck!
    Beth
  • jeepermom
    Options
    Sunshine: I know you’re trying to be helpful, and honestly, everything you said is pretty much what I need to hear. Funny how that works, huh? You can tell yourself something a million times but until it comes from someone else, it’s easy to dismiss. It IS a choice…and my choices lately have stunk. I will be pulling my VSG “owner’s manual” out tonight and definitely reviewing. I’ve been in and out of counseling, but it may be time for an “in” session…LOL. The one day a week planning, prepping, etc. is a good idea. I will have to try that. Thanks for your help (and you didn’t sound mean at all)!

Escapepod: We need to make a Sam’s run this weekend anyway…might have to leave my son at my in-laws so I can read some labels LOL. That’s a great idea for those things…I have never thought to look for stuff like that. I guess I’ve always figured making dinner had to be from scratch…yes, sounds weird now that I’ve actually typed it “out loud” but I have always thought that and never put 2 & 2 together…ugh! Bringing everything to work and fixing stuff here is an awesome idea, too.

I am also planning to stop and try to find some ready-mixed protein shakes tonight on my way home. I have gotten out of the protein habit and that's one thing my NUT wanted me to get back to.

I really appreciate your responses - y'all are awesome!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I have definitely struggled with letting old bad habits creep in. One of my program's cardinal rules is "No unplanned eating." I have been very guilty lately of "grazing" my way through the day -- one piece of candy here, another piece of candy there, a handful (or 10) of cheese popcorn. I always log it, but I also realize that I am going down the wrong path. My goal this week is to stop the grazing and unplanned eating. I packed massive healthy lunches and snacks for my work days and my fridge is stocked with healthy stuff that's already prepped. I'm logging everything at the beginning of the day and sticking to it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get easier when you get closer to goal.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    More quick family-friendly meal ideas:

Tacos (lettuce wrap yours)
    Sloppy Joes (lettuce wrap yours)
    Cheeseburgers (lettuce wrap yours)

You can buy butter leaf lettuce that is still alive in the produce section of the store -- it works great for lettuce wraps and lasts a long time in the fridge.

Chipotle bowls (double protein, light rice, split into 2 or 3 meals) or Chik-fil-A nuggets and fruit cup or carrot salad if you have to do fast food.

I started buying fruit for side dishes instead of tater tots or fries like we used to have. My picky family actually likes fruit as a side now.
  • jeepermom
    Options
    Luckily (?) for me, french fries don't sit well on my stomach anymore, so I do at least avoid those. Thanks for the ideas, I have written them all down and will be planning/shopping/prepping before Monday. I will do a little mini prep at the store tonight to get me set for the rest of the week.

I am also emptying my desk of all change and ability to go to the snack machine here at work. Lunch stuff I bring in will be kept in my neighbor's desk. If I keep it at my desk right now, I know I would eat it when I'm not hungry, and the embarassment/shame of getting food when she and I both know I'm not hungry will keep me from getting it and make me think if I am truly hungry before I eat it. I've put up a sticky note with my meal times and short term goal to help remind myself to stay on track.

Thanks again for your help...so glad there's a great community here that's supportive!
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One more easy idea - crock pot pork tenderloin. I make mine in a pressure cooker which only takes about an hour, but a crock pot would work as well. I cook it with taco seasoning and a little salsa, then shred. I freeze in one-meal portions. I usually make mine into enchiladas with black beans, cheese, and enchilada sauce (my serving is either without the tortilla, or made with half a low-carb tortilla). Super fast to thaw / reheat in the microwave and assemble into a meal, and yummy.
    One more note, protein shakes can be great, and I still enjoy one for breakfast most mornings, but they won't give you the same full sensation as the same number of calories worth of something dense like chicken. As I get further out, I find I need to reduce the soft proteins in my day (protein hot cocoa / pudding / frappuccino, greek yogurt, soft cheese, cottage cheese...) and increase the more solid proteins so I'm more satisfied with less food. And let's not even talk about sweets and carbs - I can eat those 'till the cows come home and I'm feeling ill from the sugar high - my stomach never objects to the quantity.
    And look into some options for healthy treats - I find I have an easier time sticking to my eating plan if I'm not feeling bummed about missing certain foods. A mocha protein frappuccino may not be as yummy as ice cream, but it makes a decent substitute. I also make a crazy yummy sugar free chocolate tofu pudding. Yeah, I know it sounds bizarre, but the tofu just makes it thick and creamy, and it's a decadent dessert for those times when I just really want a treat. It keeps me off the sugar roller coaster, and has a bit of protein to boot.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of ideas for fast dinners. The gorton's fishermans grilled fish there is talapia and salmon ect all really low cal and only about 20 min in the oven. Also I purchased a pampered chef deep covered baker it has been a life saver. You can really cook about 4 boneless skinless chicken breast in it in the the micowave for about 30 min its fast and you can season the chicken with different spices to change it up. Even do things like add franks hot wing sauce for mock chicken wings. Fajitas are pretty fast too doesn't take long to cook up fajita meat in a pan then just put in a whole wheat torilla top with cheese sour cream ect.
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A could of things that might help. Cook on the weekends and save for the week. Make a couple of meals that can go in your freezer so that you can just pull them out and defrost. Also the crock pot doesn't care when you cook in it. You can put things in there and let run overnight or as you are going out the door in the AM.

Lastly, I don't mean for this to be crass...but doesn't your husband know where the kitchen is. He's got a 2 hour head start on you, he can't throw a couple of things together to help you out? I'm a guy too, but kitchens aren't just for women. My culinary degree says so. I cook 2-3 times a week and do most of the weekend cooking. If he's pushing for fast food, neither him, you or your kid is getting what you all need to live healthy. Explain that to him and ask for some help. If you make up something in advance so all he has to do is pop it in the oven or in the micro or a pot then you are ahead of the game. Good luck!
  • jeepermom
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's supposed to be a yucky weekend this weekend so it sounds like an excellent weekend to do up some freezer meals, do some veggie prep and finish getting my "stuff" together...

I really appreciate everyone's input and will definitely be using parts from everyone's suggestions...y'all are awesome!
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to plan my week day meals on the weekend. ( am not much of a cook but I try...) I may have the same thing all week
    Breakfast - Yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, eggs, oatmeal
    Lunch - deli sliced turkey, baby bell cheese, tuna burgers
    Dinner - Turkey sloppy joes, chicken, tuna (again), turkey burgers

weekends, I try to cook a different meal. I look at others menus to see what they have...

Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    My new favorite crockpot meal, that provides lots of protein and lots of leftovers:

Any 2-pound cut of beef -- I buy whatever is cheap and lean. Today I used a cross-cut roast, but last time I bought 2 london broils that were on sale. If you use a roast, you may want to cut it up into smaller pieces so it will absorb the sauce better.

One can of enchilada sauce.

Two beef boullion cubes -- you can leave these out if you watch your sodium.

Put it in and let it cook for 4-5 hours on high, or all day on low. Pull it out and shred it into small chunks when you come home. Serve in tortillas or just eat it by itself with taco fixings.

Easy, easy, easy... weigh and pack your leftovers in small gladware containers and to pack in your lunch for the rest of the week.
  • koalajazzie88
    Options
    Kudos for being so honest, thats not easy to do. One thing that I do is plan my meals a week in advance and I eat the same one or two things all week. Its the only way to eat healthy on a regular basis. I spend about half a day cooking two different entrees with sides and I portion mine out in tupperware containers for the entire week. You will thank yourself when you develop this habit. It will make all the difference in the world. One website I like to get some receipes from is,,,, theworldaccordingtoeggface.

Good luck and once you create new habits it will be sooooo much easier and you will feel great!!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    Definitely pack your leftovers into individual servings, instead of into one big container. It saves so much time during the week to have quick meals already measured and ready to go. I just finished packing all my stuff for tomorrow. I work 12-hour days with a 40 minute one-way commute, so I take breakfast, lunch, dinner and several snacks with me. Sometimes I take my chances on the cafeteria for one meal, but that can be dicey.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you some very good advice and a lot of helpful meal ideas, but I would like to reinforce the earliest advice about getting back with your team , especially your dietician. It sounds to me like you have a lot of questions regarding types of foods and options available. That is where the dietician can be very beneficial. It takes more than reading labels. And I would also echo getting back into counseling, so that maybe you can gain some insight into why you are sabotaging yourself. This journey is definitely no walk in the park, and takes a lot of committment. You have come so far already, you need to keep moving forward. Do it for you!
  • jeepermom
    Options
    johnlatte I think my hubby heard you...I got home last night and he had dinner on the table...yay!

I am definitely going to try the taco meat in the crock pot...that would be so yummy with just a little cheese and some salsa...yum!

I did grab some frozen mango, some blueberries, and a greek yogurt on my way out of the house this morning...so no stopping for fast food today. I have a can of tuna here at work to go with the fruit for lunch so I'm set today.

Thanks everyone for responding with encouragement and honesty! It's just what I need!
  • jeepermom
    Options
    Wanted to give everyone an update...in the last two weeks since my post, I have kicked my sweet tea habit (it was lots easier than I thought it would be...I just chose to not drink it and now I don't like the taste of it) and am watching what I eat, making better choices, and being more active...and I have lost 9.4 pounds! YAY!

So thanks again to every one for helping me get back where I needed to be!

Kelly
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wanted to give everyone an update...in the last two weeks since my post, I have kicked my sweet tea habit (it was lots easier than I thought it would be...I just chose to not drink it and now I don't like the taste of it) and am watching what I eat, making better choices, and being more active...and I have lost 9.4 pounds! YAY!

Kelly

Awesome!!!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Kelly

I just read this thread for the first time, and I am super happy to hear that you've picked yourself up. Self-sabotage is the number one way to gain back the weight, or not lose it in the first place. Take this experience as a learning opportunity, and a reminder that the sleeve does NOT do all the work. It truly is just a TOOL. Like a treadmill. If you only use it as a coat rack it is only going to act as a coat rack. Even after a year and half I have to actively remind myself not to have too many sweets. To remind myself to enjoy the bite and move on.

May I also suggest that at your next appt with your surgeon or your dietitian that you bring this up? Nearly everyone struggles with this and they will be able to offer a lot of insight. You pay them for their support, use it! Also, this is a great time to go to a couple support group meetings in your area. Sometimes it can be more motivating than just online forums.
  • jeepermom
    Options
    Thanks emmeylou...I actually had support group last night and brought it up there as well and discussed with my nurse after. I don't want to say it just "clicked," but that's the best way I have to describe it. My way of thinking has shifted and I realize that when I think I want something to eat, I need to think about if it is truly something I want and if it's worth the calories. I never thought I would be to the point of saying, the calories aren't worth it, but I am.