What do you use for Spagetti Sauce?

Options
tvl0308
tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
What brand of spaghetti sauce does everyone use when they make pizza or spaghetti or just to cook with it? I try to read the ingredients and not sure if some of that stuff is on there has gluten in it. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Replies

• rlbryce
    rlbryce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am strict GF, and I have been successful using Newman's line of tomato sauces, salsas, and many salad dressings. Just read the label scrupulously. ~ RB
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I make my own - canned tomatoes, tomato paste, a little red wine, a little olive oil, and lots of garlic, oregano and basil. Really easy and much less expensive than anything premade.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Classcio has flavors that specifically say "Gluten Free" on the label, I use that fine without any reactions. Classico is also around 20 less calories per 1/4 cup than some other brands, so I use it in higher-calorie recipes like my homemade pizza. They currently have coupons out too.

I also use Newman's Own, but the calories are a bit higher, so - I tend to use that in lower-calorie recipes.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Aldi's. I'm surprised at the number of things I can get there!
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your response. This helps a lot :)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I make my own spaghetti sauce. Pizza sauce we buy, but I can't remember the brand. I think its Primo?
  • Crackers777
    Crackers777 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Making your own is great but if you don't have time. I found Central Market Organics H-E-B brand are gluten free. The Primavera Pasta Sauce with tomatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini and red and green peppers is my favorite.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's organic Marinara sauce. Yum!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Make my own. It's so easy! I buy Italian seasoned tomatoes too.
  • gbminigirl
    gbminigirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I never even thought to look at my spaghetti sauce for gluten. I had atomic hiccups all day yesterday (which usually happens when I've had any gluten) and I couldn't figure out why! Hubby made spaghetti the night before last. The pasta was GF, but I'm guessing the sauce wasn't!
  • crl115
    crl115 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In addition to Celiac's I also have a pretty severe nightshade allergy so I make a "fake" sauce. I started with this recipe and have been adjusting it each time I make it: http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/2010/01/tomato-free-marinara-sauce/
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make my own - canned tomatoes, tomato paste, a little red wine, a little olive oil, and lots of garlic, oregano and basil. Really easy and much less expensive than anything premade.

Ditto - it's easy to make and I think always tastes better than jar - you can freeze in ziplocks and have on hand for convenience. Recipe above - about covers it - just add your choice of ingredients in quantities that look good - I also will add mushrooms, bell peppers, red pepper flakes for heat.
  • RobinL500
    RobinL500 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some brands of tomato paste are not gluten free, so check labels. This got me in trouble while making my spaghetti sauce a couple years ago.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The Classico brand is pretty good about saying whether or not it is GF and I like the roasted garlic flavor myself.
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There's a website call gfoverflow.com that will let you search for GF products by category, etc. there's a surprisingly long list that are GF so you can pick your favorite...Prego, Ragu, Classico, Newman, etc.
  • cleaneatingkaren
    Options
    I usually make my own to keep it clean and fresh, but in a pinch I like Classico.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Ditto - it's easy to make and I think always tastes better than jar - you can freeze in ziplocks and have on hand for convenience. Recipe above - about covers it - just add your choice of ingredients in quantities that look good - I also will add mushrooms, bell peppers, red pepper flakes for heat.

I do this too. I use Pomi crushed tomatoes for my homemade sauce b/c it's low in sodium & carbs along with the ingredient's listed in the quotes above.
  • ceeci43
    ceeci43 Posts: 11
    Options
    What brand of spaghetti sauce does everyone use when they make pizza or spaghetti or just to cook with it? I try to read the ingredients and not sure if some of that stuff is on there has gluten in it. Can anyone shed some light for me?
    I make my own very easy 1 can crushed tomato 1/2 can tomato paste 2 cloves garlic minced 1/2 onion also chopped. Put olive oil in pot and cook garlic and onion until onions are soft, then add crushed tomato and paste then add 1/2 c. Water to the mix, cook on medium to it started to show bubbles on top, turn down to low add 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and let simmer add salt and pepper to your liking.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Super easy. 1small can of muir farms organic tomato sauce, 2tbsp tomato paste, garlic, veggies, salt&pepper and basil/oregano. Simmer for 10-15 min and enjoy!
  • Suzitthorne
    Suzitthorne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use stewed tomatoes, original recipe. Just have to mash it up if you don't like it chunky. and add garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and marjoram, and sometimes balsamic vinegar.. Fred Meyer brand is super cheap, and just recently tried the Costco organic stewed tomatoes-they both work for me.