14 years of PCOS symptoms is enough for me!!

Options
sfidler84
sfidler84 Posts: 9 Member
:wink: Hey Everyone!!

I've had my fitness pal account for a couple years, but dropped off using it fairly quickly. I'm back and I'm finally ready to change my body for good. I have struggled with weight issues for about 10 years now. After recieving a diagnosis of PCOS, my hormones decided to go crazy and it's been an uphill battle all the way for weight loss. One of the main reason I want to lose weight is to hopefully get pregnant. I've had multiple miscarriages and the doctor feels that if I can get my weight and PCOS symptoms under control, I'll have a better chance to carry a baby to full term.

One of my favorite things to do is to read. I read just about anything, as long as it catches my attention. I also love to watch Glee, and dance around to their songs.

I have tried just about everything to lose weight, and get discouraged very quickly, so I need all the help and support I can get!!

My starting weight was 264
My current weight is 250
My goal weight is 145-150.

Thanks in advance for all the help and support!!

Stephanie

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's ok to get discouraged sometimes, I've had bad days for sure, but it's important to give your head a shake the next day and get right back on it!
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Are you on any medication? My doc put me on Metformin a few years ago, and she believes it's helped me lose weight. I haven't tried to conceive yet, but she thinks it'll help with that, too.
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome.....

I have the same double digit PCOS story.... meds and so on... I wish u well and hope I can help if you have any questions.

Add me ....
  • Christy1125
    Options
    I too have PCOS. My dr. recommends low carb for me and she has prescribed glucophage xr. Losing weight is difficult with PCOS. I would also like to weigh 145. You can add me as a friend if you like. I also need lots of encouragement. I am also wheat free. In a book I read a lot of people who have PCOS are also wheat intolerant. I don't know if any of this helps but hang in there, you can do this!
  • MoonLiteDancer
    MoonLiteDancer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 years old (28 now). I know the uphill battle feeling (I have a hypothyroid as well). At my highest I weighted 272 lbs and I got down to 160 lbs last summer. Got remarried went back up to the high 190's again. It's a life long struggle with PCOS but you can do it :) I got pregnant with all 3 of my kids at my highest weight while doing fertility treatments. It wasn't until after I had them I decided to get healthy. Just take one day at a time :)
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Good luck with everything! You actualy have some of the same goals as me. I also am wanting a baby we though have not yet conceived so have not had to deal with the heart break of misscarages as you. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Other than the same goal same starting weight and close to same goal weights. I started at 265, I am now down around 237 I am hoping ultimatly to get to around 160 but I do hope to have my first baby before i get down that far, we were trying to 8 months and then I was diagnosed with PCOS.

I hope that you finally are able to get things to stick!
  • apanda4
    apanda4 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS symptoms for about 19 years and I am in my early 30's. I also have the problem that my hormones are all over the place and I can't lose weight. I only found out 2 years ago I have PCOS and was told that it is not a cause of my weight gain, but a symptom of it.

So basically everything that is happening to me is my own fault.

Anyway - I too want kids and have been told that the only way for me to do that is to basically lose weight. Easier said than done.

I started at between 147 - 150 kilos and am now down to about 143 - 148 kilos. So I haven't lost much.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    I have had PCOS symptoms for about 19 years and I am in my early 30's. I also have the problem that my hormones are all over the place and I can't lose weight. I only found out 2 years ago I have PCOS and was told that it is not a cause of my weight gain, but a symptom of it.

Anyway - I too want kids and have been told that the only way for me to do that is to basically lose weight. Easier said than done.

I started at between 147 - 150 kilos and am now down to about 143 - 148 kilos. So I haven't lost much.

Has your doctor put you on Metformin or anything? From all of the research I have done you do NOT get PCOS because you are overweight but because of PCOS and Insulin resistance you can be overweight because your body doesn't process carbs correctly. I would see another DR because if they are just telling you to loose weight but not helping you out that is wrong. weight loss can lessen the symptoms of PCOS but not make it go away you will always have PCOS.
  • apanda4
    apanda4 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Has your doctor put you on Metformin or anything? From all of the research I have done you do NOT get PCOS because you are overweight but because of PCOS and Insulin resistance you can be overweight because your body doesn't process carbs correctly. I would see another DR because if they are just telling you to loose weight but not helping you out that is wrong. weight loss can lessen the symptoms of PCOS but not make it go away you will always have PCOS.

I have tried Metformin - didn't do much.

Not only have they only told me that I have PCOS - but they don't even know what type of PCOS I have. There are 2 types: 1) where you have cysts on the ovaries as well as irregular periods and all that and 2) where you don't have cysts on the ovaries but you have all the other symptoms.

I was originally told that I have the PCOS that didn't include cysts on the ovaries. But I found out last year that when I had a day surgery the year before that the dr had noted that I had some small cysts on my right ovary. So I found out a year after the dr saw the cysts that I could have cysts on my ovaries. But the dr did an ultrasound just after that and couldn't see anything. So I am really confused.

And PCOS is genetic in our family - both my mum and grandmother have had it. I know that they aren't sure if it is genetic, but in our family it kinda is.

The dr that I have been seeing has done the most for me ever - all the other dr's would do an ultrasound and other tests and then not take me seriously and make me feel like I was an idiot. This dr kept looking. I am very grateful to her
  • WifeofPJ
    Options

I have tried Metformin - didn't do much.

Not only have they only told me that I have PCOS - but they don't even know what type of PCOS I have. There are 2 types: 1) where you have cysts on the ovaries as well as irregular periods and all that and 2) where you don't have cysts on the ovaries but you have all the other symptoms.

I was originally told that I have the PCOS that didn't include cysts on the ovaries. But I found out last year that when I had a day surgery the year before that the dr had noted that I had some small cysts on my right ovary. So I found out a year after the dr saw the cysts that I could have cysts on my ovaries. But the dr did an ultrasound just after that and couldn't see anything. So I am really confused.

And PCOS is genetic in our family - both my mum and grandmother have had it. I know that they aren't sure if it is genetic, but in our family it kinda is.

The dr that I have been seeing has done the most for me ever - all the other dr's would do an ultrasound and other tests and then not take me seriously and make me feel like I was an idiot. This dr kept looking. I am very grateful to her

I'm sorry that finding Sim

I'm sorry that finding something that works for you. I hope you are able to,find something there is a thread about natural treatments. Maybe you'll find something.
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    Add me if you want! My starting weight wasn't far from your current weight, and I can easily get discouraged just by being around others who can eat what they want without the food affecting their body the way it does ours (PCOS gals). Remember- slow and steady wins the race!