Exercise & Emotional Boost

Options
parmoute
parmoute Posts: 99 Member
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in the way they feel after doing cardio exercises versus strength training when it comes to that 'emotional high' cardio can give you.

The reason I'm posting my question here is because I've just started Vyvanse for ADHD *and* I've just started the 30 Day Shred, which combines strength and cardio (I'm used to just cardio)--both on Nov. 27th. I've been feeling kind of strange on the Vyvanse but can't quite pinpoint why (and might even be that this is "normal" and I'm just not used to it). I was really excited to start the 30 Day Shred, but after doing a few days of it, I find that it's not giving me that same wave of good feelings I typically get after doing just cardio. Any advice as to whether this is due to the meds versus being due to the change in workouts? I haven't tried doing just a cardio workout yet this week, but I'm so bummed by the way I feel this week that it doesn't have the same appeal it once did.

I know that ADHD isn't a common topic on this board, but it's brand new to me, so any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i think you have a lot going on. it would be hard to pinpoint what the problem is when you're just starting two new things. i dont want to discourage working out, but maybe stop the 30 ds for now, until you get acclimated to the new drug. i find it takes between 2 and 4 weeks to get used to a new drug.

i dont know much about adhd drugs for adults so i cant talk to that.

good luck with all of this :)
  • newki
    newki Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally doubt that the strength training would be the issue here. Usually if you're combining it, you'd still feel that upbeat attitude... as long as your working hard at it- I find if the weights are too low and I'm not working hard enough I get bored and my mood falls a bit. I would definitely check out your medications, as most medications for any kind of psychological issues will cause some type of change in mood or energy levels. :/ From what I know about vyvanese, it definitely can have an effect on your mood and over all bodily health.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Turns out Vyvanse and I have and odd relationship and I'll probably start looking for something new next month (but I want to finish out the semester as stable as possible). I thought I was working hard enough at the 30DS -- I certainly felt it after! -- but I'm still not sure what the problem was. I did eventually give up on the 30DS, but now I have a personal trainer, so I don't feel bad ;-)

I think that exercise unto itself doesn't really give me a mental boost. If I start working out because I'm anxious or frustrated, I often finish anxious or frustrated unless the mental down time is enough for me to turn around my thinking (which it's taken me 3 months to learn). If I start out with the attitude of "I'm gonna do this" then I feel good for having done it, but it's all in my frame of mind. Whatever the brain chemicals involved are, they don't do a thing for me!