History Channel Starring Obama....as the Devil!

Options
adrian_indy
adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/bible-stirs-controversy-satan-resemblance-president-barack-obama-141717141.html

So...first off...this is really funny. There is no way with the side by side comparisons they can claim they weren't trying to make the Devil look like President Obama.

So what are your thoughts? And what is this?

Is it disgruntled right wingers taking a stab at Obama like lefties do to righties in hollywood?

Do the people making the show actually think Obama is satan?

Or is this the most brilliant marketing plan that The History Channel has ever devised...selling a show about the Bible to a mostly conservative audience starring their most hated politician?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    So there's this actor, who looks like the president, sort of. And since the president is black, and a democrat, he is immune to any criticism, anyone questioning his decisions or motives. (Else brave being labeled a racist) So that actor should only ever be cast in roles which make ponies and rainbows shoot out of everyone's *kitten*. Since he looks like Obama.

We can make the movie "W", that's 100% okay, it was full of lies and personal attacks on the actual president, but this guy shouldn't be cast as the devil, because he resembles someone we are all supposed to adore.

I rolled my eyes so hard when I read the article. Talk about mountains out of molehills.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The last pope really did look like the devil, so there's that.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't think it looks like Obama.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My Lord, people will really grasp for anything... won't they...
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    So there's this actor, who looks like the president, sort of. And since the president is black, and a democrat, he is immune to any criticism, anyone questioning his decisions or motives. (Else brave being labeled a racist) So that actor should only ever be cast in roles which make ponies and rainbows shoot out of everyone's *kitten*. Since he looks like Obama.

We can make the movie "W", that's 100% okay, it was full of lies and personal attacks on the actual president, but this guy shouldn't be cast as the devil, because he resembles someone we are all supposed to adore.

I rolled my eyes so hard when I read the article. Talk about mountains out of molehills.

Well, it was interesting to note that the first person to make the connection was right wing, Glenn Beck (if you can call him right wing).

But that is the debate, do you think it was on purpose. They claiming it's not. Not that I care, I could point out many, many mainstream movies that poked at GWB both directly and indirectly. This isn't a defense of Obama. Heck, Lucas used the "Either your with us or against us" GWB quote in the new Star Wars trilogy from the Emperor's mouth. As far as "W" went, I watched it but I can't remember much about it other than thinking that it wasn't all that controversial or negative towards GWB....but I can't remember much more than that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Glenn Beck is a whackadoodle... I have no respect for that wannabe who calls himself a Libertarian.... anyway, If I had seen the episode, it probably wouldn't have even occured to me that the guy may resemble Obama... But it sure is in my head now...
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Conservatives are pointing it out too. Here's a screenshot from Drudge Report.

2r7yp2x.png

I guess I can see the resemblance, but I probably wouldn't have made the connection on my own. The controversy is dumb.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The last pope really did look like the devil, so there's that.

No, he looked like the guy from Star Wars.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think it was intentional. The actor who plays the character looks NOTHING like Obama until all made up. I think it's a marketing ploy. It certainly got people talking about it. I never even heard of this miniseries.

I'm anything but conservative, but I also can't get worked up about this issue.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that actor has always been fab....
    has nothing to do with obama/.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    heh....yeah, he kinda does.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok I saw it .... As an Athiest independent can I say I didn't see Obama or will that get me shot lol... I wanted to know why the devil looked like a zombie but until I saw all this fuss I didn't think he looked anything like the POTUS ...... I still think he really doesn't .. But power of suggestion is a powerfull thing lol
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Conservatives are pointing it out too. Here's a screenshot from Drudge Report.

2r7yp2x.png

I guess I can see the resemblance, but I probably wouldn't have made the connection on my own. The controversy is dumb.

Without previous prompting that this "looked like Obama", my first thought was James Coburn. It took a bit of really looking at the pictures to go "yeah, maybe sorta, it might look a little like Obama". Is this another instance of people looking for things to be offended by?

*edit for typo*
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I think there's definitely a resemblance. Personally, I don't think it was deliberate but I do see a strong resemblance.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    As David Letterman said "If Obama really were the devil maybe then the Republicans would work with him."
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I thought it was awesome.

I am waiting for the next episode featuring the dinosaur rodeo.