Too much sugar?

Options
ohtheveganity
ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
I'm a newbie vegan (almost 3 months) and probably the biggest issue with nutrients is sugar. Too much of it. I'm comforted by the fact that most of my sugar comes from whole foods, but still. It's sad knowing that half of my day's sugar allowance is contained in single apple. Is this an issue for everyone else? I feel like a plant-based diet just goes hand in hand with more carbs.

Replies

• AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Why is your sugar intake so tightly restricted?

There are also lower sugar fruits with more nutrients than apples--like berries, for example.
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    I can relate I just posted something similar the other day! I've decided to take sugar off of my tracker because I'm not giving up my daily fruit and I don't really eat extra sugar outside that.
  • blastbeat78
    blastbeat78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I used to eat a lot of fruit until I started tracking my food intake and was shocked at how much sugar I was consuming. Now I only eat blueberries, strawberries and pomegranates in small quantities and I make sure I get all the nutrients I need from vegetables.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is perfectly fine to eat in abundance. Sugar fuels our cells and fruit is the best option for that. Don't fear sugar.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I go way over my sugar allotment, too, and I don't eat any processed sugar! I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I think that's perfectly fine. I'm having trouble getting enough protein, though. Any suggestions?
  • setaseba
    setaseba Posts: 11
    Options
    I took the sugar option off my tracker too. My tracker was always in the red for sugar. I love fruit and while I try to use moderation (as with everything) I can easily wolf down 4-5 portions a day or more. I also found that I wasn't getting enough veggies because after eating all that fruit I didn't have the calories left. Now I limit myself to 2-3 portions of fruit a day and make veggies my main source of nutrition
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't pay attention to sugar. As long as your sugar is coming from fruit, and not processed drinks (mainly high-fructose corn syrup) you should be fine..

@Katejkelley I don't personally focus on protein because I don't believe I need that much of it, but I would just stick to whole grains, beans, nuts... I've recently started eating grape nuts for breakfast almost every morning and it is packed with iron and has protein also. The soy milk I drink also has a decent amount of protein.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Plant based eating does kind of go hand in hand with tons of carbs, but they are good healthy carbs. I have lost every pound that I have lost on a plant based diet, and my lab work is outstanding. So I do not worry about my sugar, because it all comes from fruit and natural sources.