If this does not motivate you to lose weight nothing will

Options
Feel sorry for the bloke and hope he can get sorted., But i really do NOT want to end up like this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/4821758/gastric-ops-left-dad-with-2stone-of-loose-skin.html

I have bookmarked the link so when i am craving junk and chocolate this will make me stay clear

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I wonder why it sometimes happens like that? In the picture of him before, if you imagine deflating his tummy, it doesn't look as if the skin would hang down as much as it does in the after pic.

Is it because he lost weight so quickly? It's not clear when he exactly he lost the weight, but it's 15 stone down either since February (the balloon, which I presume didn't work because he went on to have more surgery?) or October (gastric surgery?). Either way, it's really fast loss and we're told that fast loss can make the loose skin problem worse.

Poor guy. He's waiting for the op on the NHS, so hopefully his life will get better then. Meanwhile, it looks like he could do with some sort of support garment, but I don't know if such a thing exists!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    From what you've both described, I don't think I'll be looking at the link :sick:
  • Christine61314
    Christine61314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I saw him on this morning, it is strange how far the skin hangs and it must not be very pleasant for him day to day. He had the balloon initially because it would have been to dangerous for him to have the op to begin with because of the weight. However getting the skin removed on the nhs will be difficult because he said he still smoked.
  • pinksarahjane
    pinksarahjane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    poor guy
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this is more than just loose skin, I have seen something very similar to this. I cant go into details about it because its not my story to tell. but it isnt all weight related, I feel for this guy and hope he gets the op he needs to have it removed. life will be a struggle for him until he gets surgery. someone said is it because hes lost the weight quickly no it wont be its a problem his weight was probably hiding. I wish him all the best and hopes for a great outcome and good on him for loosing the weight.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    just from watching various tv shows it does seem that people who have gastric surgery do get this more often than not :-( I wonder if doing things the natural way is better for your skin as there are some people in the success stories who have lost masses of weight and not got loose skin like that :\ hope he can get sorted soon, the fee he got from the paper tho should pay for private surgery!!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I hope the Sun have given him enough money from selling his story to get it sorted. It is good to know the risks with surgery.
  • angels960
    angels960 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Gosh! Not the thing to look at just before I'm about to have lunch...
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I hope the Sun have given him enough money from selling his story to get it sorted. It is good to know the risks with surgery.

Seriously. I saw on the news that it has 100% complication rate... 100%!!
  • karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was in hospital for gallbladder surgery 2 weeks ago. The lady in the bed next to me had had a gastric band fitted on the NHS, but wasnt happy with it. She then went to a private clinic and had gastric bypass. She had loads of loose skin, but that wasnt the worst thing. She was anorexic! She was so frightened of gaining back her weight, that she'd stopped eating. Her consultant came round and told her if she didn't start eating she was going to die! Totally shocking! I didn't know this was possible!
    My sister has been offered gastric surgery for weightloss twice, and refused twice. She wasnt even offered dietician help, just the surgery.
    It's ridiculous and dangerous!
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this often happens with people who have been over 35 stone and then lost over 50% of that weight. Skin simply isn't elastic enough to contract back once stretched that far. I personally know two people like this one is my younger sister and the other became a bit of celeb when TV followed their journey.

Both need skin ops but cannot afford` them.

I think this will become more common in the future and the NHS will introduce the procedure as a cheaper option than treating obesity related problems.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Poor bloke. I thought the woman on Embarrassing Fat Bodies who went into lock down was bad, but she had to lose the weight to have a hernia op.

I hope it is just excess skin and not anything more complicated, and that he's able to get it dealt with on the NHS
  • CookyBell
    CookyBell Posts: 22
    Options
    I've read a few interesting articles on overweight people that have lost a lot of weight and do not have the problem with excess skin hanging, The reason being is that it;s not the excess skin that causes the problem but remaining fat deposits that, once the weight has started to be lost, doesn't have the support it used to have and the fat then hangs.

According to some of the studies/articles I've read if a person is patient and loses the remaining fat around the gut the skin has a very good chance of shrinking; regardless of age and previous weight.

The link below is to another article about a 51 year old woman that dropped from 20 stone and developed complications and whilst she developed other complications she doesn't have the usual "loose skin" syndrome as there is no fat around her stomach.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/4825657/leeds-woman-goes-from-20st-to-just-6st-in-a-year.html

This is an extreme example but there are other articles that proof this point.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options

My sister has been offered gastric surgery for weightloss twice, and refused twice. She wasnt even offered dietician help, just the surgery.
    It's ridiculous and dangerous!
    I too have been offered surgery for my weight loss, after a failed attempt with Alli and logging here. All I wanted was diet/nutrition help, and they cant make time to see me once every month/6 weeks for a weigh in, and re-evaluation.... just straight to surgery... no thanks. It seems like the GPs dont want to help, just to pass the problem to someone else... or they think "evreyone" wants a quick-fix.
    I really feel for those that are so overweight that surgery is the only option, but looking at that excess skin, I'm pleased I didnt allow myself to be talked into that route by my GP