High blood sugars = Weight gain!

Options
Foods that give blood sugars spikes make us gain weight!!! These foods require more insulin and therefore put our bodies into fat storing mode. So since I am diabetic type 1 and have uncontrolled blood sugars (lots of highs) right now, my body must be in fat storing mode. I have to be on a strict diet with absolutely no sugar or I'm gonna have a fat belly forever. My diabetes is so hard to control but eff that!!! I want this!!! I've got this!!! Positive, positive, positive!!!

Anybody have any input???

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    During your period there is also highs especially that time of the month. I always have to increase my Lantus (long acting) insulin up 2 units to try and lower my sugar. My belly is my problem area as well but it has gotten smaller from the weight machines at the gym. They have an entire section especially for abs so I go there before I do legs or arms right before I put in 60 minutes on the treadmill......
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ^That time of the month - everything just goes out the window!

I'm working toward eating as low carb as possible - I had done it a while back (50 or less grams/day) and I took less insulin (short and long acting) and lost weight much easier. Oh, and my blood sugars were easier to handle and I felt good!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with "that time". I went off Levemir when I was pregnant and took Humalin N instead. My son is 14 months old and Im still on the Humalin N because the provincial government covers the cost here but doesn't cover the Levimir. I think Levimir gives me better control.

I've had trouble ever since giving birth with controlling blood sugars. I would have 2 good days and then on day three (no changes made in lifestyle) and BAM high, high high Low. And this has been going on forever now. So now I've gotten into the habit of sometimes no giving a hell what Im eating. Just ate candy and take the insulin for it. Blood sugar is going to be messed up even if I don't eat candy so why not.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    Well, if high blood sugars are caused by fattening foods, then yes, there is a correlation between insulin, high blood sugar and weight gain. But it isn't the insulin or blood sugar specifically. It's the food you are choosing to eat, which are normally difficult to bolus for, and which requires you to take more insulin. Your insulin just gives your body a way to store glucose that it doesn't use, just like a nondiabetic. A nondiabetic who also eats the same amount of food would gain weight, without the high blood sugar. Hope that makes sense!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Am I going to gain weight while having highblood sugars?
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Actually high blood sugars often lead to weight LOSS - have you ever heard of diabulimia? It's when someone withholds insulin or doesn't give enough (thus their blood sugar goes up high) because by doing so the body can't use the glucose they are eating and has to turn to fat stores for energy - so the person can lose weight more easily. It's a dangerous condition, for sure. But I've never heard of not being able to lose weight from high blood sugars.

When I had horrible A1cs (upwards of 10) I weighed 105lbs. I could eat whatever I wanted and never gain - because I was skipping injections and my body couldn't use the glucose I was taking in.

Now that my A1c is 5.5 I weigh dozens of pounds more than that. I gained a lot of my weight when I regained control of my diabetes. On the one hand that really sucks - but overall it's ok. I'm MUCH healthier now than I was when I weighed 105lbs.
  • AMBlass
    Options
    K_winder is correct. Usually high blood sugar is reflection that you did NOT take enough insulin, and therefore have tons of sugar sitting in your blood stream, unable to become fat. However, it is harming your blood vessels, which is what causes diabetes complications. High BG here and there is OK, but consistently high (like from diabulimia which is rarely or never taking insulin) can causes complications. Plus weight loss, because the body is using fat as the energy it isn't getting from food.

You can find yourself having very high postprandial spikes from high carb meals, or if you're correcting for high blood sugar, which can then cause weight gain because you are giving your body the tool (insulin) it needs to turn glucose into fat. Even if you're spot on with your insulin, if you're eating too much, you can gain weight. Insulin is not the cause of gaining weight, it is simply the method in which it happens.

I hope that makes sense!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Well, I am only eating 1700cals a day. I am taking Humalog everytime I eat a meal or a higher carb snack. Plus I take Humalin N twice a day am and pm. I find myself very, very touchy on the amounts of insulin needed from day-to-day. A sub today could require more insulin than a sub I eat tomorrow. It's so messed up. My goals - keep blood sugar between 5.0-9.0 and fit into prepreg clothes. I am only 8lbs away from prepreg weight but soooooo far away from fitting into my prepreg clothes comfortably. Plus I've been lifting heavy 3 times a week so really not paying attention to the scale. I want inches lost. I don't know- trial and error everyday with this diabetes I have. So annoying Im even getting worked up typing about it.
  • AMBlass
    Options
    Do you have Lantus or Levemir available where you live? They are much more predictable and easier to use insulins than Humalin N. These insulins are newer and have a flat basal profile for nearly 24 hours (so many people take it twice a day). Humalin N has a peak and so it's not really recommended as a background insulin. You should talk to your doctor to see if it's a viable option, might help keep your blood sugars more stable and your insulin requirements the same.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I was on Levemir before but when preggo my doc put me on Humalin N and after 14 months post preg, Im still on N BUT I am switching back to Levemir in the near future - waiting for a prescription for it.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Im floored today! I took extra Humalog at bed last night so I could wake up with a good blood sugar and it worked - I woke with a BG of 5.4. I took 4 units of insulin for 35g of carbs. Then lunch time come and BAM BG is 18.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the hell! I can't wait to get back on Levemir and see if it makes a diff.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    You know it's quite possible that your body is totally different now than it was pre-baby. You may never be able to regain control in the same ways you did before. Glad your getting back on the Lantus/Levimeer they are much nicer. Whatever you do, please please please DO NOT do the Diarexia thing. I've been diabetic for 20+ years and for at least 18 of them used high BG's to maintain my weight while eating anything I wanted. People used to say I was so lucky to eat whatever I wanted and never worry about my weight. I hardly ever told anyone I was even a T1D. Now that I am in my 40's...I've had triple bypass surgury, 3 tents, a pacemaker/defibulater, I am legally blind, I have horrible neuropothy in my hands and feet, I have Diabetic gastric parysis , and Charcot's joint in my right foot. Google those things if you don't know what they are, especially Charcots. I have to wear specially made shoes and can only afford 1 pair and wear them year round. I can no longer work or even drive myself around. I can only bear to walk or stand for short periods. My feet feel like fire ants are on them at night and sometimes I can't even swallow solid foods. Lucky me huh? My A1C's used to be in the low to middle teens now they are normal. I have to use a CGM and have gained 40 pounds. I also tried very hard to get back to my old weight. I've discovered now, if it happens it happens and if it doesn't well, that is not the worst thing in life that can happen to me.

I've done so much damage to my body it's crazy. If I could take it all back I would in a heart beat. I would be thrilled to have happy and healthy baby in my life but I can't have any now.

I know it's frustrating, I really do but sometimes you have to step back and see what is really important to you in your life. My sugar is very hard to control or even predict and I get really pissed sometimes at the dr.s who are trying to help because they seem to blame me sometimes for all the crazy BG's and foods that I eat. Well like they say in NASCAR, that's racing boys!
    I like to say, "That's Diabetes boys!"

When you get a high BG, smile, cuss a little bit, and move on. You WILL get it figured out!
    Wishing you peace, harmony and happiness.