Teethers

Options
blink1021
blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
Ok ladies just wondering if any of you have ever used the pacifiers that are teethers or are they just a waste of money? My 3 month old's gums are really itching her and I do not want to orajel her until they are painful. I found them on amazon and they look like little raspberries and are textured which is what she needs. My son when he was teething never had any trouble until he was old enough to hold onto teethers she unfortunately doesn't have that ability yet. Any suggestions would be great to alleviate the itching I would prefer not to use a medication but it might come to that point for me and her little hands I am afraid will become chapped from the endless times they spend in her mouth. I have thought of the teething necklaces but a guy I work with told me they are useless and not to waste my money.

Replies

• jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    One of my friends used the raspberry shaped pacifier for her baby and liked it. I don't have any experience with pacifiers, though, my babe just spits them out. I wouldn't worry too much about chapped hands. Mine has her hands in her mouth all the time and they're just fine despite the air being so cold and dry right now.

When your daughter is old enough to grip onto toys, we've found Sophie the giraffe to be a surprisingly good chewing toy. It's not something I would have purchased because I kind of think it's an over-priced piece of rubber, we got ours as a gift. Anyway, my daughter loves chewing on Sophie's ears, but we really need to keep an eye on her when she's playing with it because she's gagged herself on the legs a couple of times.
  • blink1021
    Options
    One of my friends used the raspberry shaped pacifier for her baby and liked it. I don't have any experience with pacifiers, though, my babe just spits them out. I wouldn't worry too much about chapped hands. Mine has her hands in her mouth all the time and they're just fine despite the air being so cold and dry right now.

When your daughter is old enough to grip onto toys, we've found Sophie the giraffe to be a surprisingly good chewing toy. It's not something I would have purchased because I kind of think it's an over-priced piece of rubber, we got ours as a gift. Anyway, my daughter loves chewing on Sophie's ears, but we really need to keep an eye on her when she's playing with it because she's gagged herself on the legs a couple of times.

I have the same problem with pacifiers my son never took to them and she spits them out also, but I was thinking maybe she would like the texture I just hate to see her with her hands in her mouth. I guess its just wishful thinking on my part and I am glad to see that you call them chew toys also. My husband gets mad at me when I call them chew toys he says it makes her sound like a dog.
  • LindsayLo79
    LindsayLo79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We had the rasberry teethers for my daughter...I dont feel like they worked :( I dont use these but what about Hylands teething tablets, I've heard great things about them...I just always have had a hard time finding them for some reason.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that you call them chew toys also. My husband gets mad at me when I call them chew toys he says it makes her sound like a dog.

Sophie even squeaks like a dog chew toy.... :laugh:
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    Sorry, my LO never took a pacifier either so I can't really comment on them but they look cool! LOL I say just buy it and see if your LO will take it. They also have teethers that vibrate so that might be another option if you are trying to stay away from any meds. Good luck mama!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My son never took to a pacifier, so I didn't really have that option when he started teething. I bought this Born Free one at Babies 'R Us, where it was, oddly enough, cheaper than Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Free-Silicone-Brush-Teether/dp/B0082JENHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363796499&sr=8-1&keywords=born+free+teether
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    We had the rasberry teethers for my daughter...I dont feel like they worked :( I dont use these but what about Hylands teething tablets, I've heard great things about them...I just always have had a hard time finding them for some reason.

The rasberry teethers didn't work for us either. However, the Hylands teething tablets are awesome! We had to look EVERYWHERE for them. Finally, we found them at a Walgreens.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My son loves his pacifier, but hates the teething one. I think it's too big.

He loves Sophie the Giraffe though! She's squeaking all day!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Devon loves his Sophie as well! He also calms right down with the Hyland's Teething Tablets. We haven't tried it, but there's always the breastmilk (or water, if not nursing) dipped washcloth put in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My little one loves the cold, wet washcloths. She'll just chew away... we rotate between the washcloth, a rubber ducky and an Oball rattle. She just loves trying get that Oball in her mouth. :)
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Jax rarely takes a pacifier and will not do any kind of teether! As others have said, we've also been using the teething tablets and they seem to work!
  • blink1021
    Options
    For itching??? They didn't have teething tablets when my son was teething. I thought they were for pain not sure how they work.
  • chelleangel78
    Options
    I still maintain the Hylands teething tablets are the most wonderful thing EVER!!! They also double as my sons favorite rattle LOL